Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Join the Club Community » Crosswords Club – July 2010 #1848 “P.O.’d”

Discuss these brain building puzzles.
6/20/2010 3:38:01 AM

Colleen
Colleen
The title of this puzzle is “P.O.’d” with a subtitle of “Think mail, not annoyance”. Somewhat ironic considering that there seems to be three errors in this puzzle.

The clue for 112-across reads “Accents in the Gulfport P.O.?” which solves as “MISTRESSES”. But this would mean that Gulfport is located in Michigan (postal abbreviation MI) instead of Mississippi (postal abbreviation MS).

A seemingly related/similar error appears in 116-across. The clue reads “Spot in the Grand Rapids P.O.?” which solves as “ALLOCATION”. This would mean that Grand Rapids is Alabama (postal abbreviation AL), but I think the puzzle creator was probably thinking of Michigan this time (confusing it with the previous clue?).

Finally, there appears to be a corresponding error in 117-down; the clue is “Joe Hardy’s temptress”, but the answer solves as “LOLA” with the first L coming from the first L in "ALLOCATION". If we’re talking Joe Hardy from the Hardy Boys, then the only girlfriend I know of is Iola. This would have worked with the I in MI for Michigan in 116-across, but Michigan doesn't work for the other clues.

I've searched and can't find any town/city in Michigan named Gulfport, nor can I find a Grand Rapids, Alabama. I also can't think of how Lola ties to a Joe Hardy.
<em>edited by Colleen on 6/20/2010</em>

6/20/2010 11:17:17 AM

mathgrant
mathgrant
My research shows that "Joe Hardy's temptress" refers to "Damn Yankees".

The other two errors, though? Gosh. That looks like such a wonderful theme, too -- sad to see not one, but two errors sullying it!
<em>edited by mathgrant on 6/20/2010</em>

6/24/2010 3:50:12 PM

Dell Editorial Staff
Dell Editorial Staff
We regret the mistakes in Puzzle #1848 in the July 2010 issue of the Crosswords Club. The editor was not to blame; a correction he requested was made incorrectly. The editor requested that Gulfport be changed to Grand Rapids in 112-Across, but the city in 116-Across was changed instead. That clue originally read Huntsville, which was correct. So instead of one mistake being corrected, we wound up with two.

The clue at 117-Down ("Joe Hardy’s temptress") is correct. It refers to the musical "Damn Yankees," not the Hardy Boys. Lola is the temptress who sings "Whatever Lola Wants, Lola Gets."

Thank you for writing, and we will try to be more careful in the future.

6/27/2010 3:24:57 AM

Colleen
Colleen
Thank-you for the explanation. How funny/coincidental that Hardy brother Joe has a girlfriend named Iola, and how the "I" would have worked with Grand Rapids! But probably the term "temptress" doesn't really apply to her. Since reading the replies about "Damn Yankees", I have looked up those characters named Joe Hardy and Lola; she's much more fitting of the term! :-)

Home » Join the Club Community » Crosswords Club – July 2010 #1848 “P.O.’d”