Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Join the Club Community » Crosswords Club – July 2010 #1848 “P.O.’d”

Discuss these brain building puzzles.
|
6/20/2010 3:38:01 AM

Colleen
Colleen
The title of this puzzle is “P.O.’d” with a subtitle of “Think mail, not annoyance”. Somewhat ironic considering that there seems to be three errors in this puzzle.

The clue for 112-across reads “Accents in the Gulfport P.O.?” which solves as “MISTRESSES”. But this would mean that Gulfport is located in Michigan (postal abbreviation MI) instead of Mississippi (postal abbreviation MS).

A seemingly related/similar error appears in 116-across. The clue reads “Spot in the Grand Rapids P.O.?” which solves as “ALLOCATION”. This would mean that Grand Rapids is Alabama (postal abbreviation AL), but I think the puzzle creator was probably thinking of Michigan this time (confusing it with the previous clue?).

Finally, there appears to be a corresponding error in 117-down; the clue is “Joe Hardy’s temptress”, but the answer solves as “LOLA” with the first L coming from the first L in "ALLOCATION". If we’re talking Joe Hardy from the Hardy Boys, then the only girlfriend I know of is Iola. This would have worked with the I in MI for Michigan in 116-across, but Michigan doesn't work for the other clues.

I've searched and can't find any town/city in Michigan named Gulfport, nor can I find a Grand Rapids, Alabama. I also can't think of how Lola ties to a Joe Hardy.
<em>edited by Colleen on 6/20/2010</em>

|

Home » Join the Club Community » Crosswords Club – July 2010 #1848 “P.O.’d”