Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Crossword Talk » Disappointed w/ Puzzler's Sunday Crossword Puzzles

Discuss your favorite Crosswords. If you need solving help, ask here!
3/1/2011 5:24:29 PM

Jactar
Jactar
While I've always had a soft spot for Dell crossword puzzles -- I've been doing them on and off since I was a teen -- I had drifted away from them for a while. A few years ago, I rediscovered the publication, "Crosswords, Crosswords." I was so pleased to find it, because theme puzzles are my favorite type of crossword and I could never get enough of them in other crossword publications. I made a point of seeking each new issue out when I knew it was going to appear.

I was intrigued (and a little trepidatious) to hear that Crosswords Crosswords was going away and that this publication would replace it. I wondered how they could improve upon one of my favorite Dell publications. Sadly, they didn't improve upon it. While the crosswords themselves are as great as ever, the new format doesn't work for me at all.

Specifically, I have two issues with it. First, as a lefty, I always loved that many of the puzzles were "left-handed." In other words, the puzzle grids were always placed on the outside margin of the page, and so I was able to enjoy a good number of the puzzles without my writing hand being in the way.

Additionally, I don't like having the large puzzles and their clues spread between two pages. Partially (and related to my first comment), it's because all of these puzzles now have their clues on the left-hand page and the grid on the right. Additionally, there are times when I can't carry a whole magazine with me. For those times, I could rip out a page of puzzle from my magazine, and my puzzling was self-contained (and easily recycled). Now, if I were to rip out one puzzle to carry along, I'd also be taking out half of two other puzzles. Doing so, I run the risk of losing one or both of these pages.

So, as much as I understand that many people like this new format, I'm not one of them. And, I'm going to have to give up my recently-rediscovered puzzling hobby, at least as far as crosswords are concerned.

3/7/2011 9:47:08 AM

Dell Editorial Staff
Dell Editorial Staff
Dear Solver,

Thanks for sharing your opinions about Puzzler’s Sunday Crossword Puzzles (the reformatted version of Puzzler’s Crosswords Crosswords). Due to a number of reasons, it was necessary for us to change the format to a digest-sized magazine. This decision has allowed the publication to stay in existence. Change is not always easy, and while you have so far found the puzzles harder to solve in the smaller size, others are happy with the fact that it’s now more portable. Also, the clues are now in a larger point size, making them easier to read, something we feel is an improvement over the original.

We also have heard from some of you who are confused by the new difficulty ratings system, so beginning with the February 2011 issue, the Medium-level crosswords have been marked with two diamonds, Hard crosswords with three diamonds, Experts with four diamonds, and Champion puzzles with five diamonds. There are no longer any easy crosswords.

While the total number of crosswords in Puzzler’s Sunday Crossword Puzzles remains the same, you’ll find nearly triple the amount of Sunday-size (21x21) puzzles, with the count going from 18 to 52 of these crosswords. The number of Cryptic Crosswords has remained constant, with five of these favorites in every issue.

Most importantly, the crosswords included in each issue of Puzzler’s Sunday Crossword Puzzles are made by the same top constructors whose puzzles you’ve enjoyed in the past, and are edited with the same creativity and accuracy you’ve come to expect.

We sincerely hope you come to enjoy Puzzler’s Sunday Crossword Puzzles.

Thanks for Posting,
The Editors
Dell Puzzle Magazines

3/16/2011 7:11:00 PM

Noeckett
Noeckett
I'm really liking Puzzler's Sunday Crosswords, I got the February issue, finished it in about a month, then was checking the shelves every day for the April issue to hit. I will admit I was pretty stoked when it finally showed up and grabbed it right away. I think it's a major improvement over it's predecessor, but I find the smaller size more convenient. The increased amount of large puzzles is a huge plus, and the themes are usually pretty clever.

But don't give up just because this mag isn't working for you, there's tons of crossword and puzzle magazines and there's got to be one that caters to your taste! Maybe keep one this at home and grab a more portable one for work or something like that.

6/2/2011 2:52:52 AM

jsndavis02
jsndavis02
My love for Dell puzzles started with my father. He was the one who introduced it to me. Now, I just can't get enough of it and I love it much.

7/6/2011 3:28:52 PM

Indiana Puzzle Solver
Indiana Puzzle Solver
I subscribed to this magazine after discovering the October 2010 edition of Crosswords Crosswords at the grocery store. I enjoy the puzzles but the format does make it a bit more difficult to solve the larger puzzles, esp. since it is difficult to lay the book flat. I'm a big fan of spiral books in that it's easy to lay the book down on my desk for solving.

I feel this is an exceptional publication with a good variety of leveled puzzles to challenge. Sometimes, a medium puzzle is just what I need for that 1/2 or so I have to work a puzzle. Sometimes, I like a challenging puzzle that takes me days to solve (or as a buddy called it, "running the crossword subroutine while I work"). I'm looking forward to the ACT puzzles that came in the current issue.

Most of all, I feel these puzzles lack the pretentiousness that comes with the "snooty" NYT puzzle solvers. Just good, solid crosswording. The themes are great.

I was wondering, would it be possible to slip a couple anacrostics in the book once in a while?

Indiana Puzzler

7/7/2011 9:09:08 AM

Dell Editorial Staff
Dell Editorial Staff
Indiana Puzzler,

Thanks for sharing your opinions about Puzzler’s Sunday Crossword Puzzles (the reformatted version of Puzzler’s Crosswords Crosswords). Due to a number of reasons, it was necessary for us to change the format to a digest-sized magazine. This decision has allowed the publication to stay in existence. Thanks, also, for your nice comments regarding our clues and themes.

Based on your comments, you may be interested in our titles Dell Crossword Special and Dell Crossword Special and Variety. Both of these magazines contain at least 50 crossword puzzles, running the full gamut of difficulty levels, as well as many other fun puzzles, including 10 Anacrostics each.

Happy puzzling!

The Editors

7/8/2011 12:13:58 PM

Indiana Puzzle Solver
Indiana Puzzle Solver
I just recently renewed my subscription to Sunday Puzzles. Is there a way to transfer it to Dell Crossword Special instead? (I have never seen this issue on the newstand at the pharmacy or grocery stores I peruse). I think the price is the same. I renewed through the paper mail on a deal that if I bought 2 or more titles, I get an extra issue of each free. I think I would like Dell Crossword Special, I enjoy the other puzzles published in the title along with the crossworrds. I have a good supply of Sunday Puzzles I haven't been able to do yet and the switch to Dell Crossword Special would allow me to do lots of different puzzles. I usually do Figgerits, Anacrostics, Cryptofamilies out of the Variety value pack I bought a couple of months ago. Thanks!

I have really gotten hooked on Dell's products, they are so satisfying!

Indiana Puzzler

7/11/2011 12:05:57 PM

admin
admin
Administrator
IN_Puzzler wrote:
I just recently renewed my subscription to Sunday Puzzles. Is there a way to transfer it to Dell Crossword Special instead? (I have never seen this issue on the newstand at the pharmacy or grocery stores I peruse). I think the price is the same. I renewed through the paper mail on a deal that if I bought 2 or more titles, I get an extra issue of each free. I think I would like Dell Crossword Special, I enjoy the other puzzles published in the title along with the crossworrds. I have a good supply of Sunday Puzzles I haven't been able to do yet and the switch to Dell Crossword Special would allow me to do lots of different puzzles. I usually do Figgerits, Anacrostics, Cryptofamilies out of the Variety value pack I bought a couple of months ago. Thanks!

Indiana Puzzler

Dear Indiana Puzzler,

Thank you for your kind words. Your renewal is noted in the database.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact customer service by e-mail at customerservice@pennypublications.com or call toll free, 1-800-220-7443, from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Eastern time, Monday through Friday.

Happy solving!
Admin

3/30/2012 2:44:54 PM

Indiana Puzzle Solver
Indiana Puzzle Solver
admin wrote:
IN_Puzzler wrote:

Indiana Puzzler

Dear Indiana Puzzler,

Thank you for your kind words. Your renewal is noted in the database.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact customer service by e-mail at customerservice@pennypublications.com or call toll free, 1-800-220-7443, from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Eastern time, Monday through Friday.

Happy solving!
Admin

To follow up on this thread, I have been solving Crossword Special for the past 5 months or so and I am very satisfied with this magazine. I do enjoy the various "variety" puzzles in addition to the crosswords and crostics.

Thanks for publishing!

10/3/2012 7:23:08 AM

Indiana Puzzle Solver
Indiana Puzzle Solver
Thanks, Puzzler's Sunday Crosswords - I used to think I was a pretty good crossword solver. But man, the new issue is frustrating me like all get out! It's good to be humbled. Getting knocked down a few pegs allows you to regroup and try again.

I have been solving Variety puzzles mainly the past year, still doing crosswords now and then, mainly the newspaper (which is hardly challenging in Indianapolis), the on-line version posted by the WaPost website, and some puzzle books here and there. Now I know I need to get back into challenging crosswords to stretch my mind out. It must have atrophied,,, it's like I'm starting over and memorizing that "iter" is a roman road!

The IN_Puzzler

10/7/2012 3:46:59 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I had no idea what "iter" meant, and I'll probably forget it shortly. But I do remember that it shows up repeatedly in Codewords.

--
Amy

10/7/2012 8:17:58 PM

Indiana Puzzle Solver
Indiana Puzzle Solver
I started doing crosswords after finishing school back in'95. I'm not sure when Will Shortz started editing t he NY Times crossword, but I remember buying a sort of "Beginners Guide to Crosswords" published by the NY Times and they instructed you to remember all these arcane words that showed up regularly in the crosswords. Frankly "iter" is the only one I can remember now. That goodness there was sort of a revolution led by Mr Will that changed the direction of crosswords.

10/8/2012 8:54:21 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I'm pretty sure Will Shortz was editing the NYT crosswords before the 1990's. I have a friend, Marilynn Huret, in my AAUW (American Association of University Women) branch. Marilynn (who now composes Sudoku's for our local newspaper) has been a puzzle buff from a million years ago, and she knows Will Shortz personally. There were one or 2 times she got him to come down to PA and help us conduct puzzle-contest fund-raisers. I'm pretty sure that was in the 1990's.

--
Amy

10/8/2012 10:45:06 AM

Indiana Puzzle Solver
Indiana Puzzle Solver
Pretty cool. He's also a Hoosier. I think in the '80s he was the editor of Games Magazine.

Amy Lowenstein wrote:
I'm pretty sure Will Shortz was editing the NYT crosswords before the 1990's. I have a friend, Marilynn Huret, in my AAUW (American Association of University Women) branch. Marilynn (who now composes Sudoku's for our local newspaper) has been a puzzle buff from a million years ago, and she knows Will Shortz personally. There were one or 2 times she got him to come down to PA and help us conduct puzzle-contest fund-raisers. I'm pretty sure that was in the 1990's.

edited by IN_Puzzler on 10/8/2012

Home » Crossword Talk » Disappointed w/ Puzzler's Sunday Crossword Puzzles