Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » General Discussion » Organization?

General Discussion.
3/29/2011 8:47:52 AM

Anna Booth
Anna Booth
So, I love to do puzzles in bed (and I hang out in my bedroom a lot). Previously, I had a whole dresser drawer devoted to my beloved puzzle books, but have recently expanded my collection and now have 100's of books. I have a good mix between full-sized variety books, collectors series, and digest sized word search and fill-ins. How do you keep your puzzles organized?

What kind of shelving do you use, or do you have a magazine rack? Do you try to sort them a specific way? Do you vow to complete a book before going to another one, or do you jump around?

9/10/2011 3:42:04 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
I just read your question, although you posted it a while ago. I was just cleaning out my puzzle books yesterday. I keep them in a large cabinet in my TV room. I stack them from oldest to newest. I can never complete a book without starting another because I just have to do my favorite puzzles first. I throw them out when there are no puzzles left that I like to do or are likely to do. Some of my books date back to 2009. But I also know what it's like to be completely out of puzzle books and I never want to go there again. If you stack them like that it's easy to read the date of the magazine on the side of the cover. C.C.

10/4/2011 7:15:02 AM

JB15
JB15
I just started buying these books when I was given Penny books as a Valentines gift 2 yrs ago. I have many now and mine are still in carboard boxes until I can buy plastic stacking crates to store them in. I am so "hooked" on the variety puzzles and circle a word and fill ins..........especially the Fill In's ( those are thee most fun of all the puzzles by Penny IMHO ) smile

10/6/2011 10:31:18 PM

I just keep mine in the boxes they come in, but I do have to haul them out and order them by date, earliest to latest, because I like to go chronologically. With the Variety mix, that also ensures that I get a mix of both Dell and Penny as I go, too, which I like.

I suppose if I had room on my shelves I might pull them out and put them there, but with the TV, my books, and CDs, there just isn't any room, heheh.

12/4/2011 7:01:17 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I don't get my puzzle books in boxes. My logic puzzles come in the mail every 2 months, and occasionally I buy a whole lot of Codewords and/or Crostics
at once (either ordering on line or thru the mail, receiving them in the mail in any event). I have a night-table drawer where I have room to squeeze about
a dozen or so of these books. But once I finish a book, I'm done.

--
Amy

1/9/2012 3:26:19 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
Amy, I think most of us order the bulk packages of puzzles, like 40 in a box. I do this and never finish them because I order another 40 before I do. There is no drawer in my house that could hold all my books, I'm so O.C.D. that I have to have them in order by date and I can read the side of the magazine to see what month (or year) it is. Yes, I'm a little looney but I've found out over the years that most puzzle lover's are. CC

1/9/2012 3:59:05 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I try to hold off ordering new books until I've finished the old books. I can still remember my father telling me not to take seconds on dinner until I
had finished my firsts. He hasn't had to tell me again, and the original admonition was a long time ago.

If I noticed dates on my puzzle books, I'd put them in date order. As it is, I get a lot of Codewords with number on the front (same thing with my
Crostic books) and I put them in order by number. Usually I put all the Codewords on top of all the Crostics, but sometimes I put a few Codewords
and then a few Crostics, etc. I usually order around a dozen or so at once, not 40!

It did get to the point where my nighttable was getting a little crowded, so I added some of the un-read books to a box in my home office, on top of
a file cabinet, where I had once ordered a whole lot of mystery books at once and reminded myself that the un-read mysteries were in that box. I
got almost thru with the mysteries, so now instead of un-read mysteries, it's un-done Codewords in that box.

--
Amy

2/17/2012 10:56:05 PM

Pretty cool how we all have our little ways of puzzling maintenance, heheh. Seems the consensus is a bit of order. I wish there was a way to take the codewords out of all the magazines I have and give them to you, Amy. I rarely do them anymore, so the ones I have in my old books might fill up a volume or two worth of those specialized books you like.

2/18/2012 3:15:43 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
I hate to burst your bubble T.D.H.O. but there is a way, I do it for people on the forum and my Mother. I did it for Amy recently. Just tear out the page, cut out the answers and staple them to the back. Well, that would be after you do all the puzzles your going to do first. CC

2/18/2012 9:29:29 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Dark Horse, I like seeing your posts, and it is cool knowing there are a couple of male puzzlers (you and Michael, known to be 2 of them) amidst all of us
women. When you get to a point where you have some Codewords you'd like to send me, please send a private message to ask for my snail-mail
address.

Thanks in advance (and no hurry; I have plenty of magazines to keep me busy in what little spare time I have between tax returns). -- Amy

--
Amy

2/18/2012 3:37:48 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
CC is there a trick to tearing the pages out? I've tried it before to enter a contest and the page did not tear neatly. I've been wanting to remove some pages so I can solve some Cryptograms more comfortably, but have been hesitant becuase I know I'll be missing part of the puzzle.

TDHO it's nice to see you posting again!

2/18/2012 4:27:09 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Purple Pisces wrote:
CC is there a trick to tearing the pages out? I've tried it before to enter a contest and the page did not tear neatly. I've been wanting to remove some pages so I can solve some Cryptograms more comfortably, but have been hesitant becuase I know I'll be missing part of the puzzle.

TDHO it's nice to see you posting again!

I wouldn't be surprised if you can use a staple remover to remove the staples that bind a magazine together, to be able to cut pages out of a magazine.

Alternatively, you may be able to take magazines that are glue-bound, and tear a few pages at a time, together, so those few pages come out as one
neat small glue-bound stack. Then tear another few pages in the same manner. You can then tear one page at a time from your smaller stacks, or
even use scissors if you don't want to tear.

I do things like both of the above, when I have a large magazine with one interesting article, and I want to save the article for posterity but don't want
to save the whole magazine.

--
Amy

2/18/2012 6:49:01 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
I do just tear them out and they have raggedy edges. Usually I'm not in a hurry so I cut the ragged edges off with the scissors I had out anyway to cut out the answers. It does make it much nicer, it just depends on how much time you want to take doing this. Never bothered me. CC

2/18/2012 8:33:59 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Thanks for the tips Amy and CC! I don't mind the edges being messy, I just don't want a part of the puzzle I need to stay stuck in the book.

2/19/2012 1:32:57 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
I tried Amy's suggestion of tearing a bunch of pages out at the same time and it worked really well. The pages tore pretty close to the book so I didn't lose any part of the puzzle. I might be tearing all my puzzle pages out now! It is so much easier doing the puzzles on a clipboard with a hard surface to write on. Not to mention not having to struggle with a puzzle on the left hand side of a book. A lot of times I would pass a puzzle by and save it for later because I didn't want to bother with it. Thanks again! :-)
<em>edited by Purple Pisces on 2/19/2012</em>

2/19/2012 2:27:35 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Purple Pisces wrote:
I tried Amy's suggestion of tearing a bunch of pages out at the same time and it worked really well. The pages tore pretty close to the book so I didn't lose any part of the puzzle. I might be tearing all my puzzle pages out now! It is so much easier doing the puzzles on a clipboard with a hard surface to write on. Not to mention not having to struggle with a puzzle on the left hand side of a book. A lot of times I would pass a puzzle by and save it for later because I didn't want to bother with it. Thanks again! :-)
edited by Purple Pisces on 2/19/2012

Cool! Glad my suggestion worked, Pisces! I know what you mean about puzzles on the left hand side of a page. I sometimes skip them until I have room
to spread out, and do the ones on the right first.

--
Amy

2/24/2012 1:41:11 AM

Purple Pisces wrote:
edited by Purple Pisces on 2/19/2012

Those of the left handed sort, of which I am proudly one, might take exception to this post.

<wink>

2/24/2012 3:35:30 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
I'am right handed and prefer to do the puzzles on the left. When I'm writing a letter, puzzling or just signing my name, I turn the paper sideways. I don't know why I do this but I always have. So you see, the puzzles on the left are easier for me to get to than the one's on the right. CC

Home » General Discussion » Organization?