Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Variety Central » Let's let Trigons be Trigons...(A personal plea)

See what other Variety puzzle fans have to say, share your solutions, and get help.
8/17/2011 9:18:35 PM

I have to be honest. I do these things in pen, and I haven't got a one right yet, heheheheh. I really do enjoy the challenge of them, though. So, with tail betwixt me legs, I humbly ask for any solving tips you good folks may have, beyond the ones given in the directions, of course. Do you use scrap paper to go through scenarios? Is there some trick I haven't stumbled upon yet? The last one I did was in the shape of an X and I got one arm of it nearly solved, but put in a few guesses that were wrong that rather screwed the pooch for me. The other arm and legs I was just pretty much at a loss.

So, therefore, I prostrate myself in front of the masses here and modestly appeal for the H word.

HELP!!

Heheh.

4/6/2012 1:23:21 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
TDHO the puzzles I've solved so far I haven't really had to do any guessing. I have had to pencil in 2 or 3 possibilities on a side of a triangle in small, light print to help me visualize my options. It does take a bit of time to scan the puzzle and see where an opportunity is to fill in a number.

Looking for a larger number near a small number does help. Another thing I pay close attention to are the numbers such as 111,222, etc.. Lets with 444 for example, look at all the "12" triangles and see if you can find where the 444 will fit. The other "12" triangles may not be fully solved but may have other candidates filled in such as a 3, or 2 which will limit the possibility of it being 444 which may leave only one option where 444 will fit. Hope that made sense.

Another thing, I know you love your pens, but have you tried solving these in pencil. It might make the puzzle easier to read if you've made a few mistakes.

Hope I was able to help a bit. smile

4/6/2012 10:02:02 PM

Scrapula
Scrapula
I'm also a pen solver. Trigons are one of my favorite puzzle types. After the 0,0,0 and 6,6,6 for 0 and 18 go in, then I look over the puzzle before filling anything else in. For me, 15 is easy with only a 3,6,6 or 4,5,6 or 5,5,5. If there is a 15 with a 3 adjacent, then it can only be 3,6,6. Also the 12 that is 4,4,4 and the 3,3,3 for 9 are easier to work out. You should be able to get through half the puzzle before it gets tough. Even though I use pen, I will write the number possibilities in the space. Also, if I know that specific number combos will be used, I reserve them by placing a black dot on that combo in the list. For instance,let's say that you have two different spots that need a 10 and both of those contain a 1, I will "dot" those two combos so I won't accidentally use them in another spot that needs a 10.

5/24/2012 2:53:48 AM

Scrapula wrote:
I'm also a pen solver. Trigons are one of my favorite puzzle types. After the 0,0,0 and 6,6,6 for 0 and 18 go in, then I look over the puzzle before filling anything else in. For me, 15 is easy with only a 3,6,6 or 4,5,6 or 5,5,5. If there is a 15 with a 3 adjacent, then it can only be 3,6,6. Also the 12 that is 4,4,4 and the 3,3,3 for 9 are easier to work out. You should be able to get through half the puzzle before it gets tough. Even though I use pen, I will write the number possibilities in the space. Also, if I know that specific number combos will be used, I reserve them by placing a black dot on that combo in the list. For instance,let's say that you have two different spots that need a 10 and both of those contain a 1, I will "dot" those two combos so I won't accidentally use them in another spot that needs a 10.

Heya, Scrapula! Since this post, I've really come around on these Trigons, and have solved a number of them, still with my share of mishaps, though. I chalk those up to impatience. I think Purp and I have come to a consensus that they DO take a different mindset. Like you, I began in earnest first by taking a whole board look. Also, like you, I've used dots in the answer pyramid to denote when I KNOW one answer is taken, but I'm not sure of the placement. That really helps. I'll give you a for instance... During one puzzle, I had two answers in one of the columns (I think it was 11s) that involved 1s in the answers, so since I knew that, I dotted them both which allowed me to eliminate them from contention for other 11s. That helped me solve a few of those, which, in turn, narrowed the scope of possibilities for those 11's neighbors. Then they both fell in place easier.

Also, I note the answer of some triangles I know are answered around the edge of the board. Just gives me reference if I have to leave the puzzle for the next day, or get busy at work, to get refocused on where I was. They're really fun puzzles once you find the mindset needed, and have the patience to do due diligence. I'm working on the patience part, heheheh. I'm not too proud to say I get ahead of myself on too many occasions than I'd like to, but that's just how I roll, I guess, heh. I DO learn in the process, and that's half the battle, and half the fun!

8/23/2012 2:49:56 AM

Whoooo, boy did I come upon a devious little trigon this week. I got to a certain point by filling in the usual 1's and 16's, and all the iterations those afford, and then I was stuck. Literally stuck. I'd look at a 10 with a 0 and it would give me 2 options. So I'd look at my 9's, which were well used up in the iterations, but there were still options within the available numbers that could go either way. I'd look at my 6's, same problem. I had the zeros sussed, but the options on each wouldn't let me be definitive.

Then, I found the tipping point. I think it was a 13/14 combination next to a 7. That may be wrong, might have been 14/15, but what it provided me was a definitive answer to the 7. The only combination allowable was 4/3/0. After poring over this puzzle in frustration for near a week, getting that one combination right allowed me to get some dominoes falling in the right direction. I call those revelations tipping points. Bad thing is, once that happened, I got so excited, I screwed the pooch on a simple thing as having 2 6's with zeroes left instead of one, and that lead me down the wrong path so I had to peek to find my mistake.

So, I guess this puzzle was a case of impatience killing the cat, or some such euphemism. No Spots were hurt in the solving of this puzzle. He was at home, heheh.

8/23/2012 3:17:50 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Been there TDHO!! All you need is that one little spot to help open up the puzzle, but it can take forever to find it!

8/24/2012 1:37:18 AM

Purple Pisces wrote:
Been there TDHO!! All you need is that one little spot to help open up the puzzle, but it can take forever to find it!

In this case, it did feel like forever, heheh. I nearly slapped myself when I got to an impasse and it showed me my mistake. Failing it didn't dampen my enthusiasm for this sort of puzzle in the least! I love these little guys, and wish there were more in the books I've received. Even though it frustrated me, I kept going back and back again until finally I stumbled upon that revelation. There's something cool and satisfying about that. I just wish I was more patient afterwards, but my mind said FINALLY! and I let myself go in that small elation, heheh. I commend the creator of this puzzle regardless. It kept my attention far more than I would have liked, but I enjoyed every moment, frankly.

8/24/2012 4:15:20 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
I wish there were more Trigons too! The last two issues of Dell's L&MP have been Collector's issues and have only contained 1 Trigon puzzle in each book. It looks like the next issue is a Collector's one as well. Where it's just the one puzzle in the whole book, I hold off from solving it.
If the people at Penny/Dell are reading this, please include more Trigons in your publications, Pretty Please! smile

8/24/2012 8:57:31 PM

Include them in PP Variety magazines, too, not just the L&MP!! I love them, especially when they challenge my brain pan's explosion limit, heheheh.

3/5/2013 1:42:18 PM

PuzzledMind
PuzzledMind
I would also like to see more Trigons. How about a whole book of just Trigons?

3/5/2013 2:58:24 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
PuzzledMind I know that the Dell Collector's Series put out 2 different volumes of Trigons a few years ago. It would be great if they would put out a new collection of them! smile

Home » Variety Central » Let's let Trigons be Trigons...(A personal plea)