Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Let Us Know About Possible Mistakes (Dell) » I have indeed found errors on both variety etc.

Let Us Know About Possible Mistakes.
9/4/2011 11:05:52 AM

JB15
JB15
Hello ~
I have found errors in the variety puzzles and the work seek puzzles. Most times it's the "root" word that is a 3 letter swear but also the 4 letter F word. In the Bible puzzle books I have found the word SEX many times so I cannot use the puzzles for my kids at home . Also the order confirmation from Penny Dell Press magazines misspelled their own word as Magazaines........and I phone called customer service to help correct that error.

9/4/2011 2:15:55 PM

Frances
Frances
Hi JB15,
I construct puzzles, mostly for Penny Press, and have made many word seeks over the years. Offensive words showing up in the diagram accidently or by virtue of circumstance can be a problem. It's disturbing to me (and to the editors, too, naturally) when these words are found in a published puzzle.

I seem to have an (unfortunate) talent in the random coincidence concerning the letter F. If it wasn't so aggravating it'd be funny.* And not just in the other three letters that can accompany the F, but phonetically, too. So, I try to make sure there are no X's or Q's close to an F either, especially when filling in the unused letters.

Sometimes the attention to checking that all listed words are in the diagram, spelled correctly and circled, all without any typos overshadows the checking of what might inadvertently be found in the diagram. You post is a reminder that diligence is needed just as much in the latter as the former.

Frances

*Well, in all honesty, sometimes it is funny what I manage to spell out by accident. Man, I've had some doozers. I may not find them all, but I do my best to catch and edit them out before they're sent off!
<em>edited by Frances on 9/4/2011</em>

9/7/2011 12:38:53 PM

JB15
JB15
I know it's funny when I inadvertently locate swears or strange words; but I have to be very careful if I lend these to my kids when they are bored on a train or in the waiting room of a Dr. office.
<em>edited by JB15 on 9/7/2011</em>

Home » Let Us Know About Possible Mistakes (Dell) » I have indeed found errors on both variety etc.