Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » General Discussion » The forum

General Discussion.
10/5/2014 5:34:42 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
Thanks Amy, The way it shows on mine you are only 6 posts behind me. Yes, the 1000 mark will be an awesome thing! CC

10/5/2014 7:26:01 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
And now with this October post of yours, we're up to 52 pages.

--
Amy

10/21/2014 5:34:54 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Today I was reminded how awesome nature can be!! I went out to fill our bird feeders before the wind and rain we're supposed to get started. While I was filling the feeders, I heard some geese. Our neighbors have geese, not to mention ducks and roosters, so I thought nothing of it. But then hearing them overhead, I looked up and saw a long line of geese flying south. There were maybe 2 geese off to one side to make up the V-formation, but most of them were in a straight line. I also noticed one by itself off to the side of the line like it was there making sure everyone stayed in formation. It's just cool how they know when it's time to head south and that they know which direction to head in!

10/22/2014 5:46:36 PM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Ally, those geese must have been a beautiful sight to see!

We have a mall located about ten miles from us that is near a river, and often we will see Canadian geese roaming around the area. They are really lovely! smile

10/22/2014 6:47:30 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
It was beautiful Bernadette!! smile

10/23/2014 1:01:33 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
Hi everyone, Yes, I'm still alive. My house is for sale and I'm living with my boyfriend. Have not been able to get my computer over there yet. So I'm here checking on my house and thought I would say hello. Way to go Amy on passing me. Your right about the daily free puzzle thing. We are selling our houses and buying some horse property out in the middle of nowhere. Not sure when I can get my computer over there but for the time being everyone take care! CC

10/23/2014 2:14:22 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Good luck on the sale, the move, the horses, etc. Hope to hear from you again when you're settled and can get to a computer, even if takes a couple of months. By the way, if you're still at the computer and can read this now, my tests at Fox Chase yesterday showed that at this point I'm cancer-free!

--
Amy

10/23/2014 3:56:41 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
YAY Amy!! So happy to hear that!! smile

CC good luck with the move!! Hope to hear from you soon! smile

10/23/2014 11:48:31 PM

Semipro
Semipro
Congratulations to Amy and Cheez on both your items of good news!

10/30/2014 8:47:11 AM

IA_parent
IA_parent
I posted a question in one of the variety boards above but I thought I'd do a quick intro. This thread seems to be a current, long lived one.

My name is Amy. I'm in my 40's and have 2 teenagers. For various reasons, including wanting to keep my brain sharp, I am trying the puzzle world out again.

I have enjoyed Fill In puzzles for a long time and I used to be pretty good at logic puzzles. However, I haven't done puzzles in quite some time and have found my logic puzzle skills have deserted me. This time I am trying variety puzzles because, well, I want variety. So many are new to me that I defintely have a lot to try out and improve my solving skills. I bought a value pack so I have some Penny Press and some Dell. I like both, but I think I like Dell just a little better because Penny Press seems heavier on the word based puzzles and sometimes my brain wants a break with a picture or number puzzle.

I struggle with crosswords/crostics because of the clues but aim to keep working on them. I bought an "Easy crossword" magazine to try to ease into them. So far most of the variety puzzles I've tried, I have enjoyed trying, even if I am not good at them, however the Tanglewords? I tried for a few minutes and then just said "no way!" I tolerate word searches but they bore me a little and reverse word search was just too much. wink

I've read through a lot on the forum and it makes me a little sad to see how many titles seem to have been discontinued the last few years. It also activates the little part of me that thinks "I must buy some value packs because what if they don't sell those anymore soon!" I had bought one pack of Brain Boosters last year and now wish I'd bought more. At least a lot of those types are in the Dell variety magazines.

I don't know how frequently I'll post but thought it only polite to introduce myself. smile
edited by IA_parent on 10/30/2014

10/30/2014 2:14:24 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Amy from Iowa: The first couple of logic puzzles in a variety magazine, are usually easier than the last few, so you can ease into logic puzzles again that way. (Not all variety mags have logic puzzles, though.) Also, I like the British logic magazines from Penny, and their puzzles seem easier to me than the normal Dell logic subscription I used to have. There may still be specials on old British logic mags.

--
Amy

11/3/2014 10:08:19 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
Thanks everyone on your well wishes! Way to go Amy that is terrific news! I'll have to check the free puzzles to see if there are any Word Games in it recently. Talk to you all soon. By the way I just bought two magazines with three Word Games in them. One was the Master's Variety and I can't remember what the other one was but I think it's a January issue. CC

11/3/2014 10:57:51 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Hey, CC, does your posting mean that you're "back to snuff" already?--or just that you managed to get onto a library computer for a few minutes or something?

Best of luck on moving and so on.

--
Amy

11/20/2014 8:17:03 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
My computer is sitting in my house that's for sale. I'm living with my boyfriend and we are buying a new house. My house sold yesterday so I came home for one last time to spend the day here. With two houses for sale and buying a new one I've just been too busy to jump on the computer. We will be moving into our new house the week before Christmas so things should settle down a bit after that. Thanks for caring, I'll check in more often now. CC

Home » General Discussion » The forum