Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Logic Problem Exchange » "Where there's muck..."

Logic Problem fans, discuss solutions and get solving help.
2/16/2012 8:28:10 PM

Frances
Frances
I got stuck on a logic problem. Original Logic Problems British Edition, Autumn 2011, #52 on page 54, "Where there's muck..." The problem entails 5 members of a brass band, 2 women and 3 men, and how many years ago they joined the band (10, 12, 16, 21, or 27 years ago). Clue 3: "Eileen was the first woman to join the band when the rules were changed to allow this 21 years ago." On the solutions page, the first sentence is: "Eileen joined the band 21 years ago (clue 3)."

This is the part I don't follow. All I get from clue 3 is Eileen joined BEFORE Claire (the only other woman) and she couldn't have joined 27 years ago. Just because women were allowed 21 years ago, how do we know that's the EXACT year she joined? Why not later, say at 16 years, with Claire joining 12 years ago (which she did)?

Maybe if it were worded differently, or with some helpful punctuation I wouldn't be so nitpicky. Since this magazine came out quite a few months ago, maybe I'm the only one who was confused as no one else has said anything.

2/16/2012 10:54:31 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
The wording of "...WHEN the rules were changed..." -- and not "...AFTER the rules were changed..." -- makes me lean toward the idea this woman wanted
to join the band, and would have joined even earlier, if the rules were in place. Once they came into place, she joined immediately if not sooner.

I would have, if I were she!

--
Amy

2/17/2012 12:16:04 AM

Semipro
Semipro
Frances, I agree, the clue as worded, and as punctuated, doesn't nail down the year.

2/17/2012 4:46:52 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Tricky wording! The way I've been doing Logic Problems lately and not making assumptions this clue would have me stumped. I look at it as saying that eventhough women were allowed to join 21 years ago, doesn't necessarily mean that is the year that Eileen joined.
<em>edited by Purple Pisces on 2/17/2012</em>

Home » Logic Problem Exchange » "Where there's muck..."