Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » General Discussion » Sunday Puzzling - What are you solving? :)

General Discussion.
|
3/18/2012 3:11:53 PM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
On another thread, some posters mentioned that Sunday is a perfect day for solving puzzles so I wondered what everyone is working on today? Or maybe you are out and about enjoying the warmer weather?

I am solving Word Games Puzzles today, specifically Vol. 6 of the Penny Selected Word Games puzzles. I'm on puzzle #46 so I'm almost finished with this volume! smile

Bernadette

3/18/2012 3:58:30 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I work on whatever puzzles I happen to work on, any old time; doesn't have to be Sunday. My husband does NYTimes crossword puzzles, and if the
Sunday edition gets delivered early, on Saturday (as the magazine section usually does, where we live) he sometimes starts working on that on Saturday.

He had a really tough one last night, which sounds so crazy: you don't realize until you're maybe halfway done with it, that a large number of the squares
have to contain two letters "squeezed into" the space usually reserved for one. I told him if I ever had something like that in my Codewords or something,
I'd put a big huge "X" thru it, to say "too tough for me; goodbye to this one" and go on to the next one. I don't know if he's still trying that crazy NYT
puzzle today, Sunday, or if he's gotten smart enough to give up on it!

--
Amy

3/18/2012 4:27:07 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
I just finished a Crostic a little while ago! I always get a great feeling of accomplishment when solving one of these puzzles because I find them to be more difficult. Now I'm just thumbing through some puzzles working on whatever catches my eye. Sunday is a great day for puzzling, but have to admit my favorite time to puzzle is in the evening. It's a great way to relax!! smile

3/19/2012 3:07:55 PM

Chris the Indiana Puzzler
Chris the Indiana Puzzler
Hello every one,

I do the puzzles in the Indy Star on Sundays. Crossword (easy-medium difficulty, but a fun puzzle with good puns usually), cryptoquote, and Sunday Jumble. Also worked Merle Reagle's Sunday crossword which I print out from on-line (didn't figure that one out, I usually do it throughout the week). I also worked one of those crossword from the Variety book in which 1,2, or 3 letters of an answer go in the boxes (I can't remember what its called).

I have a couple of NYTimes Sunday crossword books and those puzzles in which you have to squeeze 2 letters in one answer square always baffle me! I can never figure those out.

--
Peace Out.

3/19/2012 11:51:01 PM

Semipro
Semipro
Frances wrote:
I'm working on constructing "Around the Block" puzzles.

Frances, have you moved? One of the editors (formerly Acquisitions, since promoted; perhaps you'll know whom I mean) once told me there were no other constructors in California.

3/21/2012 10:26:03 AM

Frances
Frances
From CC's Word Games Puzzle:"Harmonium" author's moneyholder (14 letters). The fourth letter is L, the ninth is T. The author is poet Wallace Stevens. The punnish answer Wallets Stevens. It seemed the clue should have 'moneyholders' to get the plural 'wallets.' With your puzzle: Pickets against swimsuits at beauty pageants (10 letters). I thought 'Protests contests' or written Pro(con)tests. (One letter too many.) The answer is singular. For that, 'Picket against swimsuits at a beauty pageant' would be better. A "Wallets" situation, but in reverse.

3/24/2012 4:01:21 PM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Well, I'm happy for you! The ordering part of the site seems to be down right now, I can't click onto any books to check to see what's available. Maybe they're doing some updating and will put #2 up for sale again! smile

3/24/2012 7:17:13 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
Bernadette1959 wrote:
Well, I'm happy for you! The ordering part of the site seems to be down right now, I can't click onto any books to check to see what's available. Maybe they're doing some updating and will put #2 up for sale again! smile

I don't know what is going on with the site or why they were only offering #2 when I went on it. I found the e-mail receipt they sent me and it is volume 2. If they say they don't have it when you contact them, send me your e-mail address and I'll forward my receipt to you. CC

|

Home » General Discussion » Sunday Puzzling - What are you solving? :)