Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Crossword Talk » Codewords

Discuss your favorite Crosswords. If you need solving help, ask here!
3/28/2012 8:34:31 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Good one about "queue," Purp (or whoever it was, again, who wrote that). It also means a sort-of line, if you will, of files "piled up" in your
computer, ready to be "transmitted" the next time you "connect to the Internet." At least, it works that way with my tax program, and I think it
works that way with e-mails if you work off-line, then get back on-line after you've piled up a bunch of posts to send out.

--
Amy

3/29/2012 12:10:01 AM

Semipro
Semipro
"Queue" is used in the same way for documents that sit in a computer waiting to be printed when the printer becomes available. And it can save you in a Scrabble game.

3/29/2012 10:22:37 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
There are times in scrabble when you're looking for a Hawaiian word to use up a bunch of vowels. If you're lucky enough to get a Q, a couple of U's
and a couple of E's, that's great, especially for the point value (with Q being worth 10, and vowels being worth only 1).

--
Amy

3/29/2012 10:55:02 PM

creamchz3@aol.com wrote:
TheDarkHorseOne wrote:
smkymtnsunrise wrote:
Hope I'm doing this right - first ever post on anything! Just purchased Codewords and I can't figure out how to get started. I know I'm dense, but the instructions didn't help much. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Hey there, smky! First off, let me welcome you to the boards? Need some coffee or anything? A beer, perhaps? I'll be grilling over on General discussion later. Heheh. I kid, because I love.

Codewords are cool. You basically provide your own answers perpetually until the darned thing is solved. Let's say that help word entered is CATS, and you stumble upon a word with a few of the same numbers in succession. First, what I do is fill in the given letters allllllll over the board, and they should already be filled in on the legend, or whatever it's called. The thing next to the puzzle where you put the letters. So, you fill in the letters from the clue word, and you see this...

C_CA_A. Looks odd, but if you've ever heard an incessant droning in the trees, you just found the letters I and D. Put those in their respective spots on the legend, is it really a legend?, and then fill in all of the numbered squares with the D and I. You're on your way. You've got 2 vowels, and C, T, S, and D now. Then just stare at what you've wrought upon the puzzle for a second. Any words springing to mind after you've filled in all those letters? C_____SATI__(12) might be conversation, which is what we're having now, and suddenly you've got Es and Os and you're rockin'!

You'll get it and find them old hat in no time. Pleasure to meet you, and I wish you well.

TDHO, earlier, on another post we were talking about the codewords that don't give you any letters to start. How do you tackle the beginning of one of these? CC

Usually around the knees.

>wink<

3/29/2012 11:06:09 PM

Purple Pisces wrote:
Had a puzzle stump me last night and ended up putting it down, but not before I peeked. I'm hoping it will be "new" to me when I pick it up again. Not sure if this word has been mentioned or not but definitely can be tricky when finding the "Q". The word is queue. I passed this part of the puzzle as not being a "Q" word because of the pattern of letters. The word is a name for a braid worn behind the head, also means a line of people or cars. Definitely a good word to have in your codewords arsenal. I just hope I remember it 5 months from now! smile

When I was a juv, if there was a gal with a braid in front of me in the queue, I'd... Well...

Pull it. The English use that term instead of a line, used in the US more often. You'll hear it, though, much to your chagrin, if your power goes out, or something akin to that, and you're waiting on the phone for an explanation, or when the resumption of such things will occur.

You're currently number 2,769 in the queue. Please remain on the line, and an operator will be with you shortly.

Operator? I'll need a doctor waiting that long, holding various bodily functions and my temper waiting and sitting in one place. And then, of course, you hear the operator answer, and he/she says 'Hello?', Helloooo?', and hangs up...

Blaaaaaarrrrrrggghhhhhh!!!!!!!

3/30/2012 7:50:19 AM

Chris the Indiana Puzzler
I think queue is more common now in our computer age ... typically the line of documents waiting to be printed on a shared printer is referred to as the queue. Although in conversational American English queue is rarely used.

--
Peace Out.

3/30/2012 11:13:28 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
But conversational British, sure!

--
Amy

3/30/2012 1:33:07 PM

That's right. I had a work assignment in the northern part of England for a month and they definitely use words differently.

--
Peace Out.

Home » Crossword Talk » Codewords