Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » Help with solving Figure Logic

Logic Problem fans, discuss solutions and get solving help.
5/23/2009 11:55:44 AM

orchid1
orchid1
Help!!! I am so frustrated because I do not know how to solve a figure logic puzzle. Can anyone help me by breaking it down for me. What does " Accross- one-half of 3-down" means? or Down "Three less than 1-accross". I do not understand this lingo! Please help! Thanks!

5/23/2009 2:37:22 PM

jfire7887
jfire7887
orchid1 wrote:
Help!!! I am so frustrated because I do not know how to solve a figure logic puzzle. Can anyone help me by breaking it down for me. What does " Accross- one-half of 3-down" means? or Down "Three less than 1-accross". I do not understand this lingo! Please help! Thanks!

Hi orchid1,

For your Across ("One-half of 3-Down") and Down ("Three less than 1-Across") examples, you did not include what number Across and Down, so for argument's sake, I will call them 7-Across and 8-Down.

What the first clue means is that whatever the answer is for 3-Down, one-half of that is the answer for 7-Across. So, if 3-Down is 124, 7-Across is 62. Likewise, since 8-Down is three less than 1-Across, if 1-Across is 76, then 8-Down is 73.

Note that the clues can be read "in reverse": 3-Down is twice that of 7-Across, and 1-Across is three more than 8-Down.

5/23/2009 8:37:44 PM

orchid1
orchid1
Thank you! I got it now! ;-)

10/9/2012 10:35:40 AM

Chris the Indiana Puzzler
Okay this seems like a topic that is ripe for discussion.

Yesterday at lunch I managed to complete 80% of a Figure Logic (Figure Logic #2, Dell Official All-Time Favorite Variety Puzzles). What got me started on this puzzle was a lot of 2 digit answer and working through the clues 1-Across) Sum of its digits is 9 (1/8, 2/7, 3/6, 4/5 and the reverses) along with 2-Down 1-Across times 1-Across. Via math and trial with the 1-Across digits, I was able to work out 1-Across was 27 and 2-Down was 729. I just plugged away from there. Feeling good about my solving skills, last night, after the kiddies went to bed, I cracked open a Math and Logic Lovers I have had on the shelf for a while to check out the Figure Logics. In my confidence I thought I was invulnerable! I was wrong! In the puzzle I was doing, I couldn't find a starting spot! I put it away to take another crack at it today.

So, to all those Figure Logic solvers out there - I suppose there must be at least ONE clue that is the starting spot, otherwise the house of cards cannot be built. Any advice / tips for spotting the starting clue?

Thanks.
Indiana

--
Peace Out.

10/9/2012 12:49:20 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
When I start a Figure Logic I will look for clues that add two different clues (both being two digits long) that will result in a three digit answer. For example say Clue 20 Down (a three digit answer) reads "18 Across plus 4 Across" and both 18 Across and 4 Across are two digit numbers, we know that the first digit to Clue 20 Down is a "1".

I'll also look for clues that will say "3 Down muliplied by 10", I know that the last digit of that number will be a "0".

I'll also look for clues that will multiply a two digit number and results in a three digit answer. Not conclusive but it will narrow down my possibilities. So if a clue reads "5 Across times three" If 5 Across is a two digit number, at the very most the answer would be 297 (99x3=297) so I will lightly pencil in a 1 or 2 as the first digit of the answer.

Hope that helps! smile
edited by Purple Pisces on 10/9/2012

10/9/2012 3:26:56 PM

That's a good hint. Thanks!

--
Peace Out.

10/9/2012 8:14:21 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
You're welcome! I edited my second hint a little. I normally see the clues written as being mutiplied by another instead of it written as being a mutiple.

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » Help with solving Figure Logic