Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Crossword Talk » Dell Crossword Puzzles plus Variety - now defunct?

Discuss your favorite Crosswords. If you need solving help, ask here!
6/24/2010 2:51:43 PM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
I just received my August 2010 issue of Dell Crossword Puzzles Plus Variety with a notice that my subscription is due to expire with the next issue.

I came here to the website to renew but I can't find the magazine listed. When I go to the Product Map page and click on that title (listed as simply Dell Crossword Puzzles), it comes up with a message saying "Not currently available."

Is this magazine soon to be gone? It's been around for so very long....Thank you for any information!

Bernadette
<em>edited by Bernadette1959 on 6/24/2010</em>

6/28/2010 9:40:20 AM

Dell Editorial Staff
Dell Editorial Staff
Yes; due to declining sales and changing feedback from solvers, Dell Crossword Puzzles will be discontinued after the October 2010 issue. While we - and many of you - face this decision with a mix of sadness and nostalgia, we are excited about the changes that this brings. A new-and-improved title, Puzzler's Dell Crossword Puzzles, will hit newsstands at the end of November. This title will contain over 111 crosswords of various difficulty levels. While this title will be crossword-oriented, you can still fulfill your variety cravings with titles such as Dell Crossword Special, Dell Crossword Special and Variety, and Dell Crossword Special: Vacation Issue.

Thanks for your support and concern, and happy puzzling!

6/29/2010 12:54:53 PM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Oh, I am very sorry to hear this news!

Thank you for your response. I'll be sure to check out the new title when it appears. smile

Bernadette

7/4/2010 4:32:20 PM

PuzzleFan
PuzzleFan
I am very sorry to hear this. Of all of the Dell or Penny Press titles, this was BY FAR my favorite. Just an idea, but prehaps the declining sales were do the fact this was the hardest title to find. The only place I could find this title was a Barnes and Noble 25 miles from my house and I live in suburban Philly. I know I should have probably subscribed to it, but I am never home since I travel for a living. I LOVE the crossword/variety combination and I really love the digest size.

I don't plan on purchasing your new title. You already have enough corssword-only titles. What made your publication unique was the mixture. It is probably too late to reconsider, but you have lost a regular buyer. I purchased this title monthly on my way home frmo the airport.

7/5/2010 10:09:06 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
You're absolutely right, Puzzlefan. The fact that the magazine was so hard to find was the reason I started subscribing in the first place. And in a similar situation to what you described, only ONE of our local Barnes and Noble stores here in Birmingham, AL carried it, the other location did not. I never saw it for sale in any grocery stores nor Books-A-Millions or the drugstores.

You mentioned that maybe you should have subscribed to it. Well, I have to say that I am moving further and further away from taking out subscriptions. I am having an increasingly difficult time receiving the magazines!

Actually, Dell Crossword Puzzles was the one publication that would always arrive in a punctual manner. For example, this past February I took our two new subscriptions to two word search magazines (PennyPress) and by the time June rolled around I had only received ONE magazine out of those two subscriptions. I don't know what the post office is doing with them, but there's really no sense in me subscribing and then waiting and wondering where the magazines have gotten to and then having to call PP's customer service and get them to resend the magazines. So I believe from here on out I am not going to renew any of my subscriptions, I'll just buy them in the store! smile

Bernadette

9/30/2010 3:17:49 PM

babydoll_24
babydoll_24
Well, we've got people here from Pennsylvania, Alabama and I'm from Virginia telling you guys that it is time for you to do something not only about distribution problems but delivery issues with subscriptions. It is utterly ridiculous! I can't tell you how sick of it I am, but no more. And, you guys have absolutely eliminated this publication for some "other" substitute? I received my last subscription issue as the the Dell Crossword Special. I said that someone goofed and realized that the publication must have been retired. HOW RIDICULOUS! Doesn't it date back to the 1940's or something?

To anyone who reads this, I was a loyal subscriber to Dell Crossword's Crosswords, the Dell Crossword Puzzles, and the Good Time Crosswords through Penny Press. I plan on renewing NONE of these. I watched for over a year how the Good Time Crosswords reached my local newsstand before I got my subscription and was outraged. But, curiously, I received renewal after renewal for every publication. What in the world is the point if you don't receive them?

Sorry, I'm going to stick with your major competitor Kappa Publishing for all of my subscriptions. That company listens to subscribers, produces superior publications AND sends subscription publications out well in advance of anything hitting the newsstand.

We are in a recession. Don't forget to let your pocketbook do the talking with these companies who have obviously taken subscribers for granted!

10/18/2010 8:57:41 AM

Dell Editorial Staff
Dell Editorial Staff
We appreciate your sharing your opinions with us. As for our subscription service, we're sorry you've become dissatisfied. We do not take any of our solvers -- subscribers or newsstand buyers -- for granted. Without you, we would not exist. Because we use the USPS, deliveries are sometimes unpredictable. However, your complaint is being forwarded to the department in charge of order processing as they need to know about complaints such as yours.

The decision to cease publishing Dell Crossword Puzzles was not an easy one. Indeed, this was our flagship title, dating back to 1931. It was sad for all of us to see it go, but lower-than-hoped-for sales as of late left us little choice in the matter. For those who subscribed to Dell Crossword Puzzles, we are indeed offering Dell Crossword Special since it contains the same basic mix of crosswords and variety puzzles, albeit in a larger trim size.

In regards to the quality of our products, many consider ours to be the best on the market. We appreciate your past loyalty, and hope that you might reconsider your decision about stopping your subscriptions.

Home » Crossword Talk » Dell Crossword Puzzles plus Variety - now defunct?