Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » General Discussion » Writing Utensil for Puzzles

General Discussion.
2/21/2012 9:11:28 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Thanks for replying Amy! I think one thing I may try is to pick up a different softness of lead refills and see if it helps my writing show up darker. Mechanical pencils have me spoiled with not having to sharpen a pencil. I've gone so many years thinking I wouldn't like them, but now I prefer them. :-)

2/22/2012 12:21:21 PM

Chris the Indiana Puzzler
I use what ever's handy, but I like the papermate mechanical pencils that are tan and the lead comes out with a twistable head (compared to a clicker). There is good give on the tip and they never break. For erasing I have a 3 pack of polymer erasers (they're white) that work really well on newspaper and the paper the Penny/Dell mags are printed on. My wife re-supplies me at the end of July when the school supplies go on sale and are plentiful. If I use a pen, I like the Bic "Atlantis." It writes smooth and has a good gripper. They come in packs of 4 red-blue-black-green.

--
Peace Out.

2/24/2012 2:30:54 AM

Don't fear the pen!! Miscues in puzzling aren't something that will be judged on a balance or at a gate. You're you, and you know when you've screwed up, heheh. I realize part of the fun is the routine and the utensils applied, but everyone should at least try a whole book, once, with a pen. It isn't daunting. It isn't scary. It's just a way to a means.

2/24/2012 10:06:34 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I read a true joke a few years ago, in the American Contract Bridge League's magazine. Some people do their crossword puzzles in pencil, a few in pen,
and the woman who wrote in, wrote that her relatives did theirs in blood!

--
Amy

2/24/2012 1:14:20 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
The thing that scrares me with the pen is not making a mistake, but the mess of scribbling out the mistake and having a puzzle that is no longer legible. I like my puzzles neat!

I did pick up some leads that are hardness 2B and do notice a difference in the darkness of the print. Easier to read when puzzling at night. While at the store I picked up a pack of erasable pens. I have to say they work pretty good! They're from Pilot and are called FriXion Pens. The ink is heat sensitive, and disappears when you create enough heat friction with the little plastic/rubber nub on the end of the pen. I'm surprised how well the ink erases. It's like training wheels until I gather up the courage to try a regular pen!
<em>edited by Purple Pisces on 2/24/2012</em>

2/25/2012 8:51:57 AM

One thing about using pen is that I feel I have to check my answers more carefully before entering them into the puzzle... I just prefer a neatly filled out puzzle. I do prefer the way a completed puzzle looks in ink, the contrast with the newsprint / paper and blue ink is aesthetically pleasing. I prefer a ultra fine point in puzzling and in general.

I was recently watching the Will Shortz doc and it showed President Clinton filling out his grid in "felt tip" marker... I could never do that, those type of pens bleed too much. I was also intrigued by Clinton's use of lower case script lettering in filling his grid. I have always been a Upper Case print filler myself.

Where do you stand on your lettering in crosswords?

--
Peace Out.

2/25/2012 9:18:12 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
I'll say again that I've always used Pilot Precise V5 pens. They write like felt tip but thinner lined and they don't soak through to the other page. I also get bored with the same color and these come in black, blue and red. If I go to the bigger stores like Staples I can get them in a pack with purple. pink, green and light blue along with the others. They also write the same until they are completely out of ink and I find they last a very long time compared to other pens. They are pricier than other pens but well worth it!! CC

2/25/2012 2:32:38 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
I was wondering if people used upper or lower case when filling out a puzzle too IN_Puzzler! I can't answer for crosswords because I stay a way from those, but for codewords which are similar I do mine in lower case letters. The letter Q though I always do in upper case, I think because it's visually easier for me to distinguish it from the lower case g.

2/25/2012 6:09:46 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
All caps, all the time. CC

2/25/2012 10:40:24 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Purple Pisces wrote:
I was wondering if people used upper or lower case when filling out a puzzle too IN_Puzzler! I can't answer for crosswords because I stay a way from those, but for codewords which are similar I do mine in lower case letters. The letter Q though I always do in upper case, I think because it's visually easier for me to distinguish it from the lower case g.

In Codewords, I guess I usually do upper case; hadn't thought about it really. I try to find the Q, first, because that usually makes it easier for me to know
which letters are vowels, and at least I'll know a couple of U's, if nothing else right away. (A couple of times, trying to find the Q, I notice a certain pattern
with another "oddball" letter whose code number doesn't come up much while I'm noting the frequency of some of the numbers, and I suddenly realize that
I haven't found the Q but have found the word "Killjoy" with its J and its K.) Come to think of it, I guess my G's are upper case anyway, so I have no problem
distinguishing it from the Q. And as I wrote, I try to find the Q first (and usually there's only 1 Q in the puzzle, occasionally 2, sometimes 3, but that's it).

--
Amy

2/26/2012 4:13:26 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
The problem with pencils that I have is that I can't see it. It's way too light. I've never used one doing puzzles, in fact, I don't think I've used one since grade school. CC

2/26/2012 2:16:34 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Amy I always try to find the Q in codewords first too.

CC the pencil lead not showing up dark enough was one reason I wanted to try pens. I still like my pencils though for certain puzzles, such as cryptograms and logic puzzles, and do notice a difference with the softer 2B leads. Once I get brave enough to try a "regular" non-erasable pen I will have to give the V5 pens a try.
<em>edited by Purple Pisces on 2/26/2012</em>

2/27/2012 11:44:05 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
Codewords? I always start with the E and then double letters such as S's, R's or T's. CC

5/28/2012 2:31:58 PM

Debbi64
Debbi64
Hi, IN Puzzler

You wrote that former President Clinton used a felt tip pen. When I used to "do" The New York Magazine crossword puzzle, I always used a felt tip pen. It went on smoothly, and the paper was glossy and the ink didn't bleed. The puzzles by Maura Jacobson were wonderful/fun puzzles too! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee!

5/28/2012 2:36:01 PM

Debbi64
Debbi64
Hi Purple Pisces ~ I always print in capital letters ~ lower case would probably be too small. Just went to the eye doctor to get a stronger pair of glasses, are you laughing?

5/28/2012 4:17:28 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Hi Debbi64!! Been wearing glasses myself since the 3rd grade! I'm near sighted so don't really have trouble seeing up close, unless it's late and my eyes get tired. That's when I start making mistakes and know it's time to put the puzzle up for the night!

6/17/2012 11:59:56 PM

tyhabamom3
tyhabamom3
Purple Pisces wrote:
Has anyone found an erasable pen that works really well? Last time I used an erasable pen (years ago) I remember getting ink on the side of my hand and the ink not erasing completely. I still like my mechanical pencils, but when puzzling at night by a lamp, I sometimes wish for something that prints a little darker.
edited by Purple Pisces on 2/20/2012

Pilot frixion pens work great on any puzzle book. They are erasable and come in a variety of fun colors. I love them!
edited by tyhabamom3 on 6/18/2012

6/18/2012 9:06:56 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
tyhabamom3 wrote:
Purple Pisces wrote:
Has anyone found an erasable pen that works really well? Last time I used an erasable pen (years ago) I remember getting ink on the side of my hand and the ink not erasing completely. I still like my mechanical pencils, but when puzzling at night by a lamp, I sometimes wish for something that prints a little darker.
edited by Purple Pisces on 2/20/2012

Pilot frixion pens work great on any puzzle book. They are erasable and come in a variety of fun colors. I love them!
edited by tyhabamom3 on 6/18/2012

Yes!! FriXion Pens are the ones I decided to try and I could not be happier with them! It's weird to think of an erasable pen as not having an actual "eraser" but it's great because it doesn't chew up the paper. Love them!! smile

8/20/2012 6:58:19 PM

gatton
gatton
I just use Jot brand #2 pencils from the dollar store along with those soft white erasers that erase nice and cleanly. I don't recomment the Sharpie Liquid Pencil. It's basically an erasable pen but puts down a line worse than a cheap ballpoint. It wouldn't be so bad but the tip is dry every time you use it so you have to constantly get it started.

8/20/2012 8:48:07 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I tried Frixion pens after seeing the posts above. Not bad -- but I do still have to xerox the page first before I use something that's going to be erased; otherwise the page may break.

--
Amy

Home » General Discussion » Writing Utensil for Puzzles