Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Let Us Know About Possible Mistakes (Dell) » Codeword magazine 229, puzzle 35

Let Us Know About Possible Mistakes.
|
1/5/2012 9:35:39 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
In puzzle 35 of Codeword magazine 229, I think there's an error in the bottom right corner. On the 2nd line up from the bottom, the numbers read:

15-26-21-20, going across.

Coming down, 3rd in from the right, the numbers read: 10-15-26-15.

As verified in the back of the magazine, the 26 stands for an R. Yet the solution in the back of the magazine shows the word going across, not as
"e r a m" which would make no sense, but as "Edam" which does make sense -- except that the D is really represented by a 1, not by a 26.

Similarly, the word coming down, is shown in the solution as a sensible word, "cede," not what you get if you use an R for the 26 (which would be
the nonsense word of "cere").

I think the square in question (2nd up from the bottom, way on the right, and 3rd in from the right edge) should have a "1" printed there, not a "26."

I now see that Book 229 is from September 2010, almost a year and a half old, so it's probably too late to fix it now. This is also probably
the first time I've found what I thought was an error in the number printed on the grid. But I wanted to make note of it and to see what the
editors have to say about it.
<em>edited by Amy-in-PA on 1/5/2012</em>

--
Amy

|

Home » Let Us Know About Possible Mistakes (Dell) » Codeword magazine 229, puzzle 35