Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » General Discussion » The forum

General Discussion.
1/16/2012 4:09:15 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
Amy and I are getting bored with the forum. Nobody's written in for a while. So I'm posting just to post. Hope it gets the ball rolling! Hi Amy! CC
edited by creamchz3@aol.com on 11/25/2012
edited by creamchz3@aol.com on 11/25/2012

1/16/2012 5:26:00 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Hi, Cream Cheese. I won't say I'm actually bored with the forum. I'm certainly not bored with Penny's and Dell's puzzles. Even though it might take a while
for my next logic magazine to reach my house, I have enough other puzzles in the house that I'm good for a while.

--
Amy

1/16/2012 6:21:49 PM

Frances
Frances
Hi CC!
I was looking at a Match-Up puzzle a while ago. I really like the artwork of these and other puzzles with pictures. Many of them seem, well, homey, and some are cute. One I liked (don't know when or where I saw it) was 2 little mice with a pumpkin and box of matches. You once said, I believe, that you liked giraffes and had them "all over." With me it's mice. I've only got 4 in my collection so far, but someday I just might have them "all over."
We don't see a Maze puzzle too often, but besides enjoying solving them, I like that they can be very clever! I wonder if many artists contribute these and other drawings or if only a couple do. Also, in the Match-Ups, are these little drawings from free clip-art where someone on Penny Press fiddles 8 ways with one, or are they original?
You know, fellow puzzlesolvers, not all posts need to be either asking help on how to solve something or of errors found. Even trivial things can be fun to read. Well, for me anyway. Those of us who check the forum on a regular basis can get kind of spoiled when there's a flurry of posts, so the dry spell that follows can seem a bit of a letdown. Kind of goes that way, though.
You know what would be nice on this forum? A category called "Ask the Editors" for miscellaneous queries, but there may not be anyone available who has the time for this.
Frances.

1/16/2012 8:06:48 PM

Semipro
Semipro
Frances wrote:
Also, in the Match-Ups, are these little drawings from free clip-art where someone on Penny Press fiddles 8 ways with one, or are they original?

I think they must be original. They're in the same unmistakable style as the art on the promotional brochure inside a magazine. Very precise line work, characters are often smiling, and women with blond ponytails make frequent appearances.

1/16/2012 9:32:53 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Thanks for starting this thread CC!! I enjoy coming on to the forums and reading what other puzzlers have to say! My main interest in puzzles are logic puzzles, word, number and logic art. The reason why I enjoy logic puzzles so much is because all the info you need to solve the puzzle is right there, no outside knowledge is needed. I do enjoy dabbling in the variety puzzles once in a while with cryptograms, word games puzzles and crostics being some of my favorites, even though I may not be the best at them. :-)

1/16/2012 11:17:14 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Actually, one of the other readers posted a British (?) baseball puzzle about a month and a half ago, and unless he left off some of the clues, I felt you had
to know certain things that weren't stated in the clues (such as, what does the "battery" mean, or what constitutes the "infield"). But in all the US logic
puzzles I've seen, either everything is obvious, or if there might be a term which some readers are unfamiliar with, they explain it to everyone just in case.

Also, in that baseball puzzle, I had to make the assumptions that men mentioned in the puzzle who had daughters, or had sons, were married. That
may not necessarily be the case in the real world, but if the puzzle goes back enough decades, it would be the inherent assumption anyway.

--
Amy

1/17/2012 4:22:15 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
Wow! I guess I'm not the only one that checks the forum frequently (I know you do Frances). Yeah, Match-Ups, there's one in the February 2012 Good Time Variety Puzzles, 2nd Match-Up. This was a tough one for me. Usually none of them are tough but this one is so busy! I really enjoyed it. Sort of like doing a really busy jigsaw puzzle (which I also enjoy). I've been puzzling out in the sun all day. Great way to spend a Monday! Glad to know your'e all alive and well out there! Thanks Frances for the "what the forum is for" reply. Sometimes the best posts are just people posting about enjoying certain puzzles and not always about the mistakes in the books. CC

1/17/2012 2:37:06 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Thanks for posting about that puzzle Amy! I would definitely run into some trouble if I had to know what the "battery" or "infield" was without any explanations. I know that quite often in the British puzzles they'll have a type of glossary in the front to help solvers with certain words we may not be familiar with. Sometimes the introduction will help clear up any confusion as well. I certainly see what you're talking about with assuming the men with children are married. There have been one or two puzzles that I've tried to solve by assuming things and it's gotten me into trouble, so now I'm more cautious and will only fill in an answer if I'm sure.

I regularly check the forums as well and am enjoying having this thread to keep the forum active!! It's great to talk with other puzzlers. :-)

1/17/2012 5:57:36 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
And there may be more from me about specific puzzles, once I get my latest issue. I may even try to do the "table" puzzles without resorting to making
my own grid for them, who knows? Will be looking forward to getting the April issue soon.

--
Amy

1/17/2012 6:49:09 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
My favorites are still Word Game Puzzles! Try them Amy, you may fall in love with them like I did! CC

1/18/2012 1:20:11 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
CC after reading your post about Word Games Puzzles yesterday I decided to work from my Word Games book last night. Favorite part of my day is the evening, when I settle into my favorite chair and solve puzzles! :-)

Wanted to ask you all a question. Within the group of puzzles you like, do you find that you'll stick with one style of puzzle for a while, and then move onto a different type looking for a change, or do you rotate the types of puzzles you solve regularly? For me I'll tend to solve one type for a while, need a change and then switch to another.

1/18/2012 5:39:43 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
This is my system. I only do Penny Variety Puzzles. 1st I do the Word Games Puzzles then the What's Left, then the Syllacrostics, then the Quick Quotes(if there are any), then the codewords, then the Crypto-Families, then the Quotegrams, then the Flower Power and so on. I go from my favorites on down the line. That's why I like the variety, you never get bored with a puzzle. I do though get the whole books of Word Games Puzzles and never get tired of them. They can't print them fast enough for me. Very few puzzles I never do but that's the way it goes. CC

1/18/2012 5:52:48 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I usually buy books of Codewords, and books of Crostics. I have a subscription to the logic magazine (it ought to come one of these days, I'm sure)
and then I just bought a set of 28 old logic magazines (also ought to come one of these days). Usually I'll do a whole book of Codewords, then switch
to a book of Crostics, but if the logic magazine comes in while one of these others is being worked on, I switch to the logic puzzles.

Since I bought a dozen Codewords and only 4 Crostics several weeks ago, I've been doing a puzzle or 2 of the Crostics at a time, interspersed with a
whole book of Codewords (they're pretty fast and easy for me), then a couple of more Crostic puzzles from the same book, then a large part, or whole,
book of Codewords, back to a few Crostics, etc.

Once those logic magazines come in that I've been expecting, I'll switch to that. I write down which Codeword book I did, when I started it and
when I finished it, then which one I started after that, date started and date finished, etc. Same with Crostics. Haven't yet kept records of when I
started and finished any Logic magazines, but who knows, maybe I'll start keeping track of that as well.

--
Amy

1/18/2012 10:16:52 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
Geez Amy I didn't think there was anyone out there as O.C.D. as me. I guess I was wrong! CC

1/19/2012 11:20:50 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I guess the reasons I started keeping track of the Codewords and Crostics were:

(a) to know which issue numbers I had already gotten, just in case I ordered a new group and got one of the same ones I'd already done (in which case
I'd put the nice clean copy in my "giveaway" pile for charity),

(b) to see how long it takes me to do them, so I'd know when to order again.

--
Amy

1/19/2012 2:24:56 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Wow you guys are organized!! That's a good idea to keep track of the issues Amy. That's something I should start doing, especially with the Logic Puzzle value packs. Codewords is another puzzle I like and forgot to mention. I know with Codewords and Cryptograms you have to have a general knowledge for the English language, but I would almost categorize these two puzzles as logic as well. You know that with these two puzzles the answers you fill in are going to be 1 of 26 possibilities. Definitely fun and entertaining to have variety.

Speaking of variety I admire your "puzzle portfolio" CC! I have never finished an issue of variety puzzles. Too often there are clues that just stump me, making it impossible to solve the puzzle without peeking, which I hate to do.
<em>edited by Purple Pisces on 1/19/2012</em>

1/19/2012 6:41:28 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
That's probably why I like the Word Games Puzzles. You can cheat without cheating by filling in the other numbers with the letters if there are more than one, so it gives you a clue to the answer if you don't know it. CC

1/20/2012 4:03:29 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
I always wonder not if the people on the forum are male or female but where they are from. Amy, you mentioned your'e in Pennsylvania and I know where Frances is. I'm in Arizona. Anyone else want to share? CC

1/20/2012 4:01:09 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
That's why I like the Word Games Puzzles too CC!! :-)

I don't mind sharing where I'm from, I'm from Maine.

1/20/2012 6:41:32 PM

Semipro
Semipro
California, and female.

Home » General Discussion » The forum