Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » General Discussion » The forum

General Discussion.
5/14/2012 4:43:58 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
Semipro wrote:
CC, yes, and something about a king. But I was trying to keep the secret from those who might still have fun figuring it out.

I'll private message it to you! CC

5/14/2012 9:20:25 PM

Frances
Frances
creamchz3@aol.com wrote:
Really, you don't have to reply to everything!

No, but Bernadette's contributions definitely benefit the forum, helping make it an enjoyable and pleasant place to visit, so "the more the better" works for me.

Frances.

5/14/2012 10:50:45 PM

Semipro
Semipro
CC, thanks for your PM. I can't reply by PM, since my PM page is as messed up as my forum pages.

The answer was what I thought. The A didn't give me trouble.

5/15/2012 2:16:21 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
Actually the dumbest one is the last one. Flaky actor: Mica J Fox. CC

5/15/2012 9:32:46 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Whoever wanted to contact CC privately, she's the one person whose name on the forum is her regular e-mail address.
You can always try e-mail. And I'm editing to say I noticed in the "new names" column today, that there's someone with an e-mail
address as her name (Bunny) but so far, we don't "know" Bunny because she apparently reads but doesn't necessarily
post.
edited by Amy-in-PA on 5/15/2012

--
Amy

5/15/2012 11:12:42 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
The only one I don't think I gave was Poetic Dentist: Robert Flossed. I know, terrible. CC

5/17/2012 3:15:45 AM

Amy Lowenstein wrote:
Wow, 12 pages at this point! TDHO, I have to laugh out loud at a lot of your stuff; you're very clever.

Not any more than the rest of the good folk here, really. Just a little wacky and nerdy and geeky, but very proud of it. Also, I tend toward talking like conversing, and about other things, instead of the usual 'puzzle me this' sort of posts, so maybe that differentiates me a little from the norm, but hey, who am I really if not myself?

Ummm... Don't answer that. I think it would scare me, heheheh.

Thanks, though. I appreciate it.

5/17/2012 4:17:27 AM

Purple Pisces wrote:
If the moderator is around maybe they can tell us what the permalink option does. I think it was Amy that mentioned it, and now it has me wondering too!

Anyone heard from TDHO lately? Haven't seen him post and hoping he's ok.
edited by Purple Pisces on 5/6/2012

Never fear, Purple one. I am, in fact, alive and very well, thank you! I just get caught up in my other stuffins, and with the Indy 500 coming up, and my Pacers doing so well in the playoffs, I'm an easily sidetracked mind. Puzzling is down here >points<, while sports and stuff in life are up here >points higher<, heheh.

Let me just break it down for you folks, and I'm talking sports, so I don't particularly mind if your eyes glaze over and spittle forms on your lips. Common on dates with me, but that's another demoralizing story, heheheh. Goodnight, TDHO. No, no kiss is necessary, really. I'll call you... Anyway, SPORTS! Last year, my Pacers had their first foray into the playoffs in a number of years. Key words there being number and years, but chop the ER off of number, and add mind in front and -ing on the end, then drop the AND.

So suffice to say, last year was a revelation and a long overdue one. We went 1-4 as an eighth seed against the Chi-town Bullies. I don't expect you to know if that's good or bad, but let me say this. They were the best in the league last year, and we competed with them all the way until game 5. Fast forward to this year, and my team, which I've followed now for over a quarter of a century, mind, ended up third in the east, and fifth in the whole of the NBA in regular season record. We defeated Orlando in the first round 4-1, and now we're up against a prima donna team called the M I A LeMe's, er, Miami Heat. Experts said previous to the series starting that my Pacers probably wouldn't even win a game against the Heat. So much for experts... We DID win a game, and won it on THEIR court. So, that swings home court advantage in our favor, and the next two games are here in Indy. If we can hold serve, we can have one of the best teams in the league on the ropes the next two games.

So... Didn't I start the last paragraph with so? Indeedilly-do I did. While this is a crap load of fun, seeing my team having success, it's also very nerve wracking, and if I can be candid, my speed dial now has 911 on it, heheh. I'm coming to see you, Elizabeth!!!! Sanford and Son reference. Dangit, I'm a geek, heheh.

Regardless, things are good in the Dark Horse stables. See that pesky sink I mentioned above (back a bit, folks)? I killed it. All of it. Now, there's just a coffee cup, a cheese knife, and a persistent rust stain... Leave it to me to find a way to make stainless steel rust. Oh, yeah. I'm that good, heheh. Any of you fans of cheese? Man, do I love it. Cheese should have it's own food group. If you are what you eat, I'm CHEEEEEEESE -EY!! I'm a velveeta, american, cheez whiz stack of goodness, I am. Darn diggity dig it. A blue veined pile of wonder with fingers and a brain. I'm cheddar-ed. In fact I confess. I stole the Limburger baby, I'm that cheesy. I'm emmentaler than you are, heheheh. Well, if you're under six foot, I am. Yes, they DO stack cheese that high, and I'm IT!

Did I wander off topic a little?

Let's see... Cheese, covered, Pacers, covered, race... RACE! HAHA! I got side tracked on my one track mind! How the heck does that happen? We just have this teeny little race that goes on every Memorial day for about a hundred years here. Much intrigue and iterations of things happening now that my tiny little pea brain can't comprehend it all. This weekend, they will sort out who's fast and who isn't with a little thing called time trials, or qualifications, or any number of things they call it. Perhaps I can comment further at that time. I'm sure you're all anticipating that with bated breath.

Post naked!

5/17/2012 5:10:46 AM

Amy Lowenstein wrote:
For me, CC, that "permalink" thing is at the top post on the page, around the thing where I accidentally clicked on "report to moderator." Yes, I'm curious
what it is, and what it does.

I do know that there have been times when TDHO has come back and posted a whole slew of things at once, after taking time off and then getting back
onto the forum. Well, I hope he didn't get out on that racetrack and drive one of those race cars himself -- oh, wait, that big race won't happen until
Memorial Day, anyway, will it?

I'll look forward to seeing his other posts when he gets back -- same with Michael1973, and the Indiana Puzzler (who has posted recently but I think not
necessarily every day).

I'm slewing, kinda, heheh. Me in a car on the track? I don't have the testicular fortitude for that, I assure you. Those folks are brave souls, and me, I just gaze upon them in awe. I think I covered that above, though, so on to...

PUZZLING! First, let me say that hopefully in a few days, I'll be a proud owner of a new box of variety puzzles, no real thanks to the rude chick that helped me on the phone. You see, there was a prob with the billing my first go, and upon calling back to get that rectified, I met little miss demon with a headset. Cut me off on numerous occasions, and was pretty abrasive in her demeanor on the whole. Now, I'm not little mister nice guy, so perhaps I said some crap wrong that got her hackles up, but geez... The convo was pretty much, yeah, you folks contacted me with a billing prob, and it went downhill from there. I tried to give her the number on the little postcard they sent me to help her and she just cut me off. Ahh, well. Maybe it was a bad day for her. Bright side is, a ton of new, brain squeezing, squishing, squoshing goodness is on it's way to the stables here. Squoshing isn't a word. I just got in a SQU groove, and, you know, three time's a charm, eh?

Also, some of you may have read my 'Let's let Trigons be Trigons' post a while back, and subsequent submissions similar. I just got alliterative, heheh. Well, cool news on that front. I finished my first Trigon, NO help, and IN PEN! I absolutely LOVED the challenge. It really takes a different mindset to figure out, but not too dissimilar from a Sudoku Challenger, really. You kind of have to get a whole board mentality. At first, I'd see a 12 next to a 6 and my mind would boggle at all the iterations that combination could produce, and I'd just get stifled. But if you see the whole board, you start to eliminate possibilities. This is going to sound idiotic for someone who's never given it a go, but when you have certain things happening. In some of the same words, but different, you may not have crossed off any sixes, but you've located all the sixes with a 1 involved, then it narrows your search. Vague example, but when you try it, you'll understand. Some of you may laugh at my mini elation on this, but I tell ya, I wouldn't call a Trigon within my comfort zone by any means, and yet with persistence, I went forth and conquered.

>does a little happy dance<

So now, I'm seeking them out in past books and taunting them. You got something, Trigon? Bring, it. I ain't askeert. I beat your brother in a fair fight. Are you tougher?!?! Come on. Come to MY world, Trigon. Yeah, that's right.

5/17/2012 12:37:31 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Good to see you posting TDHO and am happy to hear that things are good in your world!

Congratulations on solving your first Trigon!! You're right about it taking a different mindset. Same thing with me and the Word Arithmetic, I just solved my very first one this past week, after avoiding them for so long. That, along with a few Figure Logics under my belt, and I am now a subscriber to Dell's Logic Lovers Math & Logic Problems, which also contain Trigons. smile

Bernadette would you be able to find out the same info about products by emailing Penny/Dell?

5/17/2012 4:04:42 PM

admin
admin
Administrator
Thanks for the feedback regarding your recent customer service experiences. We are very sorry to hear that your experiences weren’t positive. Our customers are extremely important to us, and we make every effort to help with any issues you may have. Please don't be afraid to call us! We have 14 representatives on staff, most of whom have been with us for over five years (some up to 25 years!). If a rep cannot answer your question immediately, we will research it further and get back to you promptly. If you feel that your service has not been handled in a satisfactory manner, please feel free to ask to speak with a supervisor.

We appreciate your feedback!

Best,

Customer Service

5/17/2012 11:48:36 PM

Bernadette1959 wrote:
"I'll be a proud owner of a new box of variety puzzles, no real thanks to the rude chick that helped me on the phone. You see, there was a prob with the billing my first go, and upon calling back to get that rectified, I met little miss demon with a headset. Cut me off on numerous occasions, and was pretty abrasive in her demeanor on the whole. Now, I'm not little mister nice guy, so perhaps I said some crap wrong that got her hackles up, but geez... The convo was pretty much, yeah, you folks contacted me with a billing prob, and it went downhill from there. I tried to give her the number on the little postcard they sent me to help her and she just cut me off. Ahh, well. Maybe it was a bad day for her."

Hi TDHO,

I just wanted to mention that I have also come into contact with a rude customer service rep when phoning PennyDell and your mention of how she cut you off on numerous occasions leads me to believe it's probably the same person. I've been told before that I can phone customer service to request certain items from PD that aren't advertised here on the website, but just fearing I might get this particular person again has made me reluctant to call. I'd just rather not have to deal with her rudeness.

Hopefully, someone from PennyDell will read your post and try to work on improving this person's disposition. wink

Bernadette

Well, you're female, so I can't really tell you to grow some...

I'M KIDDING! I do that, the kid thing.

I'd never fear someone on the phone, personally. As I said, I'm not little mister twinkle toes, so if I REALLY had a prob, I would have been a lot more vocal about it and not HERE, but to her personally. I'm human, though, and in being that I understand that folks have bad days. This is getting a little out of hand, though. I got a PM from admin about it. Well listen up, admin. She didn't even say her name, which I find to be a courtesy in itself, so I couldn't identify her if you asked me. Most other times I've called, the person has identified themselves. I also know there's a different etiquette regionally and the East isn't quite like the Midwest where I'm from, so what mildly chafes me might be par for the collective course there. I've traveled extensively in my short life, and I know this. Want my advice before I drop this entirely? Introduce yourself on the phone, and instead of talking over a person, LISTEN. I tried to give the gal the number on the postcard you folks sent to help and she cut me off and put me on hold while talking over me about finding the order. You folks monitor your calls, supposedly, so if you REALLY want to identify the gal, then just take a listen to some of those recordings. I was a couple days ago or so in the mid afternoon.

Honestly, Bern, I didn't want to make a fuss when I posted that. If what we said improves them though, that's cool. You need to not fear, though. I know some folks shy away from confrontation, and that isn't a bad route to take at all. In this case for me, I just shrugged and went with her flow because I'm human and know that person is as well. I deal with the public daily, and I know I don't always have my best face on.

Holy crap, what am I doing here? I just admitted to being HUMAN and not a lovable, cuddly little horse 24/7!!! Everything above is LIES! Don't read it!

Whew, that was close!

5/18/2012 12:30:33 AM

Purple Pisces wrote:
Good to see you posting TDHO and am happy to hear that things are good in your world!

Congratulations on solving your first Trigon!! You're right about it taking a different mindset. Same thing with me and the Word Arithmetic, I just solved my very first one this past week, after avoiding them for so long. That, along with a few Figure Logics under my belt, and I am now a subscriber to Dell's Logic Lovers Math & Logic Problems, which also contain Trigons. smile

Bernadette would you be able to find out the same info about products by emailing Penny/Dell?

>Pats self on back<

Listen to THIS, Purps. I killed a shuriken shaped Trigon today in an hour and a half!!!!!! I was impressed with myself for finally competing with those tough nosed Trigons, but this time, I beat this one down HANDILY! Too much fun. Mindset is a key, certainly, and seeing the whole of the board. As I said before, I used to just let my mind get boggled by the many combinations that were afforded me, but when you take the time to look and consider, you get some REVELATION moments. AHAH!, that can't be this because of that and that so it has to be THIS!

I love the vagueness of that explanation, but it's really true!

Kudos to you for becoming a subscriber. Honestly, the more I brush up against these Math and Logic books, the more I enjoy them. I may be in your number soon as well. I tell ya what, though. Those division letter thingies have ZERO interest for me. Not sure why, but it's an impulsive act to turn the page when I see them. That probably means I should try them, but why should I? THEY try ME by being there. They're taking space up that could be populated by a few more Cross Sums, or an extra Sudoku Challenger, or hey... Even another Trigon! They have a lot to live up to, and there is no allure there. Do some division and you get to see a word. Well, what if I'm offended by the word? What if the word says a thing I don't want to see? What if my hand and brain cramps, and I'm left with just a right hand and half a brain? Could I puzzle on with horrid penmanship from an inferior appendage, and cutting my prodigious IQ from 8 to 3 1/2? My three brain cells shudder at the very thought. Well, actually just the one to the right does, because he knows he's in for some overtime, and his pay scale is already meager. The other two live in the penthouse, and dine in opulence upon the other puzzles.

Did I just lose my train of thought again?

Freaking errant brain cell....

5/18/2012 1:17:41 AM

Alrighty! Sports FYI.

Not that any of you particularly care, but here we goes-y go go go.

The Miami Heat are a team built by players and their whim. Three of the 'superstars' in the league decided to join up together and whip the rest of the league. They're a juggernaut. An alien invasion equipped with technology beyond human comprehension. They cannot be stopped. EVER.

So says the media and jock strap hanging talking heads. Welllllll, not really. Not anymore....

Funny thing happened on the way to a ring, Heat fellas. The Pacers happened. MY Pacers happened. Suddenly, the series is 2-1 in our favor, and we blew the doors off them tonight. They have another game in our house to endure, and it was loud and proud tonight, folks, to EVEN the series, much less dominate what is supposed to be a lesser team in my Pacers. We were supposed to go quietly into this good night, comfortable that we made it out of the first round this year.

But we haven't.

I'm a Pacer fan, so I tend to be biased, (Tend, TDHO? Get real), but this series has swung mightily in the Pacer's favor tonight, er yesterday. Goliath is just standing there, and David is winding up his stone for a unibrow shot. For those of you not familiar with unibrows, it's a caterpillar brow. The two eyebrows join together at the nose. I have one, proudly. I'm still a hottie, mind you. I could pluck if it made a difference, but I REALLY don't think yanking three hairs will raise my beauty status, heheheh.

Freaking errant brain cell...

Help me out, folks. Just root a little for my underdog team against the world beaters. We get the game on Sunday, the Heat are going to be in dire straits. That isn't the group with the cool groove, it's like the place below the continent of Africa, where things get swallowed and are never seen or heard from again. It's a cape of some sort. Cape Fear? Heh. I wish.

Tune in if you want, and follow along like this vagrant you're reading, if you wish. http://pacertalk.info/forum/phpBB3/index.php

Been a ton of fun, so far.

5/18/2012 2:30:19 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
I've never dealt with anyone who was rude on the phone with PP although there is one woman I've talked to a couple of times that gives me the feeling she'd rather be anywhere else doing anything else than what she is. By the way TDHO, I love CreamCheese! CC

5/18/2012 11:11:33 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Fabulous that we're up to 15 pages already. Glad to see you back, TDHO, as I knew you'd eventually come back. Laughed out loud at most of your posts, as usual. Good luck to your Pacers! I don't watch those sporting events, but, good luck! By the way, the next time anyone has to deal with a rude Customer Service rep, maybe after one unsatisfactory call, they should call back and hope they get a different rep -- or, if the rude one answers the phone, hang up, call back yet again, and hope a different person answers the phone.

Cheese may not necessarily be a food group all by itself, but the Weight Watchers food charts I've been xeroxing and keeping on using for more than 25 years, do have limits on certain foods, cheese being one of the limited ones. I often "substitute" the egg limit and/or the liver limit, to have additional cheese in a given week.

--
Amy

5/18/2012 6:25:44 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Pretty fast solving time there TDHO!! I've never solved a Trigon in an hour in a half!

This is my first subscription ever from Penny/Dell and am excited. Not to be an enabler, but if you do decide to subscribe they have a really good deal right now. A year subscription for only $14.97 (6 issues). The thing is that price is only available with the insert card you get in the issue off the store shelves. But maybe you can take a chance with Customer Service and see if they'll honor that price over the phone. I'm not really sure how that sort of thing works.

We're having gorgeous weather here in Maine!! Hope everyone else is enjoying the same in your neck of the woods!! smile

5/19/2012 5:47:54 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
Yes TDHO, call customer service, I'm sure they would honor that price or anything else you needed! ha-ha-ha CC

5/19/2012 11:24:42 PM

creamchz3@aol.com wrote:
I've never dealt with anyone who was rude on the phone with PP although there is one woman I've talked to a couple of times that gives me the feeling she'd rather be anywhere else doing anything else than what she is. By the way TDHO, I love CreamCheese! CC

I've kinda noticed that about you, creamchz. Maybe I'm a little psychic? A little spidey sense? Intuition? I don't know what it is, but ever since I met you here, I've always had the niggling thought that you may be partial to a little cheese of the creamed sort.

This is coming from a guy that ate a dog biscuit and thought he saw god....

Let me explain. I ate one, puked, fell on my back and rested for a while and looked at the box again, upside down. God dog...

Meh, it was worth a try... Tough crowd.

5/19/2012 11:59:06 PM

Amy Lowenstein wrote:
Fabulous that we're up to 15 pages already. Glad to see you back, TDHO, as I knew you'd eventually come back. Laughed out loud at most of your posts, as usual. Good luck to your Pacers! I don't watch those sporting events, but, good luck! By the way, the next time anyone has to deal with a rude Customer Service rep, maybe after one unsatisfactory call, they should call back and hope they get a different rep -- or, if the rude one answers the phone, hang up, call back yet again, and hope a different person answers the phone.

Cheese may not necessarily be a food group all by itself, but the Weight Watchers food charts I've been xeroxing and keeping on using for more than 25 years, do have limits on certain foods, cheese being one of the limited ones. I often "substitute" the egg limit and/or the liver limit, to have additional cheese in a given week.

Well, you know, I amy to please.... Did I just go there? REALLY? Man, I'm TOTALLY off my game. Thanks for the little rah rah motion there, Ames. We're the underdogs, and I'm relishing in the moment as we've currently got the upper hand, or ball, or court... Hmmmm. Been a fan of the team for nigh 30 years, so let's just say I've put in my time for times like these, heheh. As far as the return call thingy. I had to call back and got the SAME one, so I'm not sure your plan is sound. As in, I think they usually just have one person on the phones at a time...

Now, we need to talk Amy.... Did you just say LIVER limit? LIVER LIMIT!!!?!?!?!? I'd be pushing that WW liver limit all danged day, and maybe twice on Sunday. Liver limit? You're going to limit my liver? How about YOU eat it ALL and I'll take the good stuff, thank you very kindly, WW. Every nutritious, stinking, tough as nails slab! Want prison to mean something? Make the inmates eat LIVER 3 times a week. Not done by a chef, but stanking up the whole block, the way your mom cooked it, and mine as well. Then, have the side be canned green beans, brought to a boil and left there 'til serving time, and flipping cabbage done up the same way. You'd see some broken men coming out of prison, I guarantee.

Liver limit... That hurts MY liver just thinking about it... Along with every right thinking bone in my body, and dangit!, I'M LEFT HANDED!

Egg limit? I do two a week, a little congrats for a work week well done on Sunday, with a couple three slabs of bacon and 2 slices of whole wheat toast. Of course, I've never let a WW or nutriwhatsit, or Jenny ate my Leg thing get a hold of me. Still a svelte 150ish at some 6 impossible feet of goodness. Impossible, you ask? Well, it hasn't been confirmed by scientists or anything, but it was rumored that you can't stack IT that high, and I'm completely IT. Full of IT, my friends, colleagues, and parents and sibs say. They're so complimentary about my greatness...

>wink<

Home » General Discussion » The forum