Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Logic Problem Exchange » "Or Both"

Logic Problem fans, discuss solutions and get solving help.
3/14/2012 11:57:35 AM

Michael1973
Michael1973
I'm curious about something. I notice a number of logic puzzles contain clues such as, "John was either the guest from Ohio, or the foot doctor, or both." In my experience with such clues, the answer is never "both." Typically, you can work through the other clues to determine that a different character came from Ohio, thus making John the foot doctor. So I can't see any useful purpose in adding the "or both" to the clue. Any thoughts?
<em>edited by Michael1973 on 3/14/2012</em>

3/14/2012 4:29:57 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
I've seen clues such as you're describing a few times, but with all the puzzles I do it's difficult to remember the outcome every time. I don't make any assumptions when it comes to clues like that, because the first time I would, that would be the time that the subject in the puzzle would be "both". smile

3/14/2012 8:31:07 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I kind-of recall that most of the time, the answer turns out to be "not both," but you never know. Occasionally it just MIGHT be "both," and if you've gotten
so "clever" that you "invent your own rule" of "it's never both," you might be doing yourself a disservice, Michael. It's funny, though, I just did a puzzle
yesterday where, once again, "or both" turned out to be "not both."

--
Amy

Home » Logic Problem Exchange » "Or Both"