Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Crossword Talk » Codewords

Discuss your favorite Crosswords. If you need solving help, ask here!
3/22/2012 8:03:03 AM

smkymtnsunrise
smkymtnsunrise
Hope I'm doing this right - first ever post on anything! Just purchased Codewords and I can't figure out how to get started. I know I'm dense, but the instructions didn't help much. Can anyone help? Thanks!

3/22/2012 12:42:12 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Hi smkymtnsunrise and welcome!! Wave You're not dense! Even the most well written instructions are little help when a puzzle is new to us. It can take a while to get the hang of things.

In the Codewords puzzle every letter is given a numerical value and your job is to figure out which number represents which letter. All the letters of the alphabet will be used at least once. Two good places to start are by trying to find the E's, which are one of the most commonly used letters in the puzzle. The letter Q is another good place to start, but at times can be tricky. To find the "Q" I will look for a number in a cross-way, meaning it is part of two words, and will look to see if the number following it in both words are the same, which would be a U. This may not always help though.

Another thing you can do to help start you out with these puzzles are to use the three starter letters that they give you in the back of the book for each puzzle. Can't remember but it might tell you in the front of the book which page they're on.

Hope I haven't confused you and I was able to help some. A few other puzzlers on the forum also enjoy these puzzles and can probably give some better tips to help you out. Have fun and good luck!! smile

3/22/2012 3:09:33 PM

smkymtnsunrise
smkymtnsunrise
Hi, Purple Pisces!

Thank you for your reply! Again, I hope I'm replying to you properly! Except for the good suggestions you've given me, it sounds like there's a lot of trial & error & guessing to find which numbers correspond to a certain letter. I'm guessing you then fill in letters you think may correspond to a certain number and see if you can make words out of them? I'm afraid Codewords may be over my head!! But I'll try it! My brain may be better suited to the Word Search type puzzles!! I really appreciate your help!smile

3/22/2012 6:01:55 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
You're posting just fine!! smile

You're right, solving Codewords can be a lot of trial and error, but after you've solved a few puzzles it gets easier. If you've got a hunch of what a letter is, fill it in. As you get further into the puzzle it's easier to tell if a letter will work or not. After doing a few puzzles you'll start to get a feel for things, develop your own solving habits and start to be able to look for certain patterns. For example when trying to place a vowel, you know that there won't be two A's together (unless there's a slim chance the word is aardvark). The same goes for the letters I and U. Your best bet will be an E or O.

I started a thread about Codewords a few weeks ago and got some great solving tips. I've tried to post a direct link, but I seem to be doing something wrong. If you copy and paste this link into your web browser it should bring you to the topic. https://www.pennydellpuzzles.com/forum/messages.aspx?TopicID=614

Also, don't forget about the starter letters they give you in the back of the book. It will really help you get a sense of the puzzle.
<em>edited by Purple Pisces on 3/22/2012</em>

3/23/2012 7:50:49 AM

smkymtnsunrise
smkymtnsunrise
I appreciate your help, Purple Pisces! I'll check out that link and try my hand at solving some puzzles this weekend! smile

3/23/2012 11:09:59 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
I just wanted to add a suggestion!

If you can, why don't you pick up a copy of one of the easier Penny variety puzzle books ( like "Approved Easy and Fun Variety Puzzles") that include some Codewords in them? The puzzles in these books would most likely be easier than the ones in the book you have there and would give you a chance to sort of "warm up" and practice with them, get a feel for them, before moving on to the others? smile

Happy Solving!

Bernadette

3/23/2012 11:39:41 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Purple Pisces wrote:
You're posting just fine!! smile

For example when trying to place a vowel, you know that there won't be two A's together (unless there's a slim chance
the word is aardvark).

Not only "aardvark," folks -- how about "bazaar," or "aah" or "baa?" I think that "kraals" has also been used. But yes, in general, a double letter is
something other than the A. (Not sure I can shorten another person's quote, then have my own thing appear in plain black -- sorry!)
edited by Amy-in-PA on 3/23/2012
edited by Amy-in-PA on 3/23/2012 -- and I hope on my 3rd edit that it will work properly!
<em>edited by Amy-in-PA on 3/23/2012</em>

--
Amy

3/23/2012 1:03:53 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
I'm glad I could help and knew our fellow puzzlers would offer some help as well! smile

Amy, I have to admit I'm not familiar with the word "kraals". There have been a few new words I've come across while solving Codewords. What's nice about this type of puzzle though is that there are plenty of familiar words in the puzzle that let you know you're on the right track!

Hope you have fun solving smkymtnsunrise! And don't worry about making a mistake, that's why they made erasers wink

3/23/2012 11:06:59 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
If I'm not mistaken, kraals are units of money in some country with which I'm not too familiar. I've looked up some of these words I discover in
Codewords, and I've kept an Excel spreadsheet which is now 6 or 7 pages long, in my dictionary, of just the "words from Codewords." Well, I
thought I had had that word on that list, but apparently not. Maybe it isn't a real word; maybe I remembered wrong. Maybe I'm thinking of
"krona," a unit of money that does NOT have a double-A. Well, if I do ever find "kraal" in a puzzle, I'll try to remember both to look up its meaning
and to post back on the forum about it. Until then, let's assume I was mistaken as to there being such a word.

--
Amy

3/24/2012 1:58:29 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Amy I googled "kraal" because I was curious and it is indeed a word! It's a South African word for a rural village or an enclosure for livestock! I'm impressed!! smile

3/24/2012 5:33:35 PM

Semipro
Semipro
English version: corral.

3/25/2012 9:41:32 PM

smkymtnsunrise wrote:
Hope I'm doing this right - first ever post on anything! Just purchased Codewords and I can't figure out how to get started. I know I'm dense, but the instructions didn't help much. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Hey there, smky! First off, let me welcome you to the boards? Need some coffee or anything? A beer, perhaps? I'll be grilling over on General discussion later. Heheh. I kid, because I love.

Codewords are cool. You basically provide your own answers perpetually until the darned thing is solved. Let's say that help word entered is CATS, and you stumble upon a word with a few of the same numbers in succession. First, what I do is fill in the given letters allllllll over the board, and they should already be filled in on the legend, or whatever it's called. The thing next to the puzzle where you put the letters. So, you fill in the letters from the clue word, and you see this...

C_CA_A. Looks odd, but if you've ever heard an incessant droning in the trees, you just found the letters I and D. Put those in their respective spots on the legend, is it really a legend?, and then fill in all of the numbered squares with the D and I. You're on your way. You've got 2 vowels, and C, T, S, and D now. Then just stare at what you've wrought upon the puzzle for a second. Any words springing to mind after you've filled in all those letters? C_____SATI__(12) might be conversation, which is what we're having now, and suddenly you've got Es and Os and you're rockin'!

You'll get it and find them old hat in no time. Pleasure to meet you, and I wish you well.

3/25/2012 9:50:36 PM

Purple Pisces wrote:
Amy I googled "kraal" because I was curious and it is indeed a word! It's a South African word for a rural village or an enclosure for livestock! I'm impressed!! smile

Here's geeky, Purple one. I, too, googled Kraal because it sounded familiar. Here's the link, heheheh.

****=http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Kraal]http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Kraal

What can I say. I'm a Dr. Who geek. I'm proud of it!

3/26/2012 2:25:26 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
TheDarkHorseOne wrote:
smkymtnsunrise wrote:

Hey there, smky! First off, let me welcome you to the boards? Need some coffee or anything? A beer, perhaps? I'll be grilling over on General discussion later. Heheh. I kid, because I love.

Codewords are cool. You basically provide your own answers perpetually until the darned thing is solved. Let's say that help word entered is CATS, and you stumble upon a word with a few of the same numbers in succession. First, what I do is fill in the given letters allllllll over the board, and they should already be filled in on the legend, or whatever it's called. The thing next to the puzzle where you put the letters. So, you fill in the letters from the clue word, and you see this...

C_CA_A. Looks odd, but if you've ever heard an incessant droning in the trees, you just found the letters I and D. Put those in their respective spots on the legend, is it really a legend?, and then fill in all of the numbered squares with the D and I. You're on your way. You've got 2 vowels, and C, T, S, and D now. Then just stare at what you've wrought upon the puzzle for a second. Any words springing to mind after you've filled in all those letters? C_____SATI__(12) might be conversation, which is what we're having now, and suddenly you've got Es and Os and you're rockin'!

You'll get it and find them old hat in no time. Pleasure to meet you, and I wish you well.

TDHO, earlier, on another post we were talking about the codewords that don't give you any letters to start. How do you tackle the beginning of one of these? CC

3/27/2012 10:30:58 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
While I don't know how Dark Horse tackles the ones without clues (if he does), but what I usually do is try to find the Q first. I can narrow it down,
sometimes, to only one possibility. Other times I have 3 or 4 or even 5 possibilities. The times when it's only one possibility, is easy. The way I get
there, by the way, is look at squares where the two letters going across, are the same 2 letters going down. For example, I might see a corner square
which goes 17-11 across, followed by several other letters. That same corner might be 17-11 going down, followed by several other letters. I
tentatively consider that as a possible Q, and I circle that spot lightly in pencil.

If I later see a 17 followed by something that isn't an 11, I rule it out by putting a little line going "northeast/southwest" in the upper left corner of
the grid at the top that has all the numbers. (Or is that grid on the bottom? I forget; it's been a while since I've done a Codeword, as my Logic
subscription got here the other week and I'm doing them for a while.)

I can eliminate a lot of possibilities, by seeing whatever comes at the end of a word. No English word ends in a Q (except the proper name Iraq,
which never seems to be allowed, so I cross that number out with my "northeast/southwest" marking. Similarly, the penultimate letter is never a
Q, because Iraqi is a proper noun. Similarly, a letter which is surrounded by the same other letter -- say you see 12-6-12 -- the 6 can't be a Q,
because the only word I know with "uqu" in it, is "Dubuque," a proper noun, a city in Iowa.

This is how I get down to very few possibilities for the Q. If I'm lucky enough to get down to only 1 possibility, then I automatically have the U,
and I fill those in everyplace on the board. Then I try to figure out which vowel after the qu, might be which.

--
Amy

3/27/2012 12:24:01 PM

Frances
Frances
Well, there is the hat ' tuque,' but it's probably unlikely to be found in a Codeword. Keep in mind the possibility of 'bouquet,' though.

3/27/2012 1:11:47 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
That's the same way I start my puzzles Amy! I've noticed that there seem to be two different visual "styles" of Codeword puzzles. In one type the puzzle grid looks more like a traditional crossword puzzle, and in the second the grid reminds me more of a frameworks puzzle, where the words are not as interconnected. Hope that made sense! I find the crossword style puzzle much more easier to find the "Q" because the words are more connected together in the puzzle.

3/28/2012 7:07:22 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I do indeed know what you mean, Purple, about "traditional crossword style" versus "framework" style. In fact, I didn't even know what that second
style was called. I call it sort of "open" or "unconnected." I guess your word is better.

--
Amy

3/28/2012 1:17:12 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Had a puzzle stump me last night and ended up putting it down, but not before I peeked. I'm hoping it will be "new" to me when I pick it up again. Not sure if this word has been mentioned or not but definitely can be tricky when finding the "Q". The word is queue. I passed this part of the puzzle as not being a "Q" word because of the pattern of letters. The word is a name for a braid worn behind the head, also means a line of people or cars. Definitely a good word to have in your codewords arsenal. I just hope I remember it 5 months from now! smile

3/28/2012 1:33:33 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
The Q's a good one to start with and so is the E. Being the most common letter and used as a double vowels makes it easy to spot. A is more difficult because you don't have that double vowel thing thing. But before I get a bunch of examples of double A words come back, I'm sure there are a few, just not as common as the E. Also many, many words end in E. CC

Home » Crossword Talk » Codewords