Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Your Opinion » To the Forum Administrators

Give us your feedback about our new forum.
4/14/2012 11:28:39 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
I have been on this forum for a long time now. I've posted more than anyone has but obviously do not know everything there is to know about it. It has come to my attention that you allow our posts to be rated. Plus 1 in green if good, minus 1 in red if bad. What makes you think we are hear to be judged? I'm here to talk about puzzles, solutions, mistakes and to keep in contact with those I've come close to on this forum. Tell me, is it there to cause hurt feelings? That is what it has done to someone dear to me on this forum. I happen to be the most out-spoken, say's what's on her mind, obnoxious person on here but I have no negative "points"? Give me a break! I did not know you could do this to people, not that I would have if I did. I also have learned that you can sign in over and over as someone else and give yourself a ton of credit and dicredit those you may disagree with. I really like this forum and the people I've met on it but if you allow these stupid, hurtful things to continue I will be forced to take my puzzlying mind somewhere else! CC Susanne Williams

4/16/2012 2:45:03 PM

admin
admin
Administrator
creamchz3@aol.com wrote:
I have been on this forum for a long time now. I've posted more than anyone has but obviously do not know everything there is to know about it. It has come to my attention that you allow our posts to be rated. Plus 1 in green if good, minus 1 in red if bad. What makes you think we are hear to be judged? I'm here to talk about puzzles, solutions, mistakes and to keep in contact with those I've come close to on this forum. Tell me, is it there to cause hurt feelings? That is what it has done to someone dear to me on this forum. I happen to be the most out-spoken, say's what's on her mind, obnoxious person on here but I have no negative "points"? Give me a break! I did not know you could do this to people, not that I would have if I did. I also have learned that you can sign in over and over as someone else and give yourself a ton of credit and dicredit those you may disagree with. I really like this forum and the people I've met on it but if you allow these stupid, hurtful things to continue I will be forced to take my puzzlying mind somewhere else! CC Susanne Williams

Dear CC,

First, thank you for your continued patronage of our puzzle forum. Sorry there's been a misunderstanding about the ratings option. The thumbs up rating is only meant to indicate that the response posts are on target for that topic. such as an answer to a question. The ratings are in no way intended to judge or indicate the value of a post. We definitely don't tolerate such judgment or harmful comments on on our forum. As you aptly expressed, this is a friendly place for solvers to interact and exchange information about puzzles.

We hope this clears up any concerns you may have. We hope you continue to use and enjoy our forum!

Best,

Admin

4/16/2012 3:08:36 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
You may intend for them to be used that way but that is not how they are being used. If you truly wish to really know what is going on with the forum maybe you could take a break from Facebook and see. I'm not saying everyone mis-uses this thing but there are those who do. I pay pretty close attention to what is going on in this forum, maybe you should do the same. CC

4/17/2012 8:44:05 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
CC, it looks like they've done away with the ratings feature. At least, it's not showing up for me nor is the option to "reply with quote." The only "reply" option is at the very bottom of the message list.

4/17/2012 9:11:41 AM

admin
admin
Administrator
creamchz3@aol.com wrote:
You may intend for them to be used that way but that is not how they are being used. If you truly wish to really know what is going on with the forum maybe you could take a break from Facebook and see. I'm not saying everyone mis-uses this thing but there are those who do. I pay pretty close attention to what is going on in this forum, maybe you should do the same. CC

CC,

Thank you for the suggestions. We appreciate hearing feedback from our members and take all your comments into consideration.

Best,

Admin

4/17/2012 10:27:56 AM

Frances
Frances
If there were a choice, I would vote for the thumbs up/thumbs down/ratings/reputation thing to be eliminated entirely. It's rarely used here and I don't see the need for it.
Frances.

4/17/2012 1:18:58 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
While I appreciate the administrators trying to give us options on the forum, I agree that there isn't a real need for the ratings system.

4/19/2012 6:51:23 PM

Frances
Frances
Well, no sooner did I say that the ratings were rarely used, then little numbers started popping up all over the place. Perhaps it is because of the attention recently drawn to them, but their use has certainly become more popular. There's something about minus red numbers/dislike/disagree markings that seem to me a little rude, though....maybe if there was just a "like" option only. smile
Frances.
edited by Frances on 4/19/2012

4/26/2012 12:04:30 AM

Semipro
Semipro
To whom it may concern:

It is strange that the option to quote a post when replying vanished. We can always copy and paste, but the feature that used to be here was handy.

4/26/2012 8:26:51 AM

Frances
Frances
Semipro wrote:
To whom it may concern:

It is strange that the option to quote a post when replying vanished. We can always copy and paste, but the feature that used to be here was handy.

I still have the option.

4/26/2012 2:25:29 PM

Semipro
Semipro
Frances, do you still have the feature that enables quoting and automatically includes the poster's name plus any italics and nested quotes that are in the original?

4/26/2012 4:04:15 PM

Frances
Frances
Semipro wrote:
Frances, do you still have the feature that enables quoting and automatically includes the poster's name plus any italics and nested quotes that are in the original?

Yes. With the exception of the missing thumbs up & down, I still have all the options available. I just did a little test---italics and nested quotes are still included in a quote I put in a post.

4/26/2012 4:22:15 PM

Semipro
Semipro
Quoting Frances: Yes. With the exception of the missing thumbs up & down, I still have all the options available.

Well, I don't. I don't even remember where the "quote" button was.

Hey, admins, some of us are having trouble quoting!

4/26/2012 4:31:08 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
I still have the edit/quote options too. They used to be under each post on the right side, but now are on the left. It's weird how the glitches in the forum are affecting members differently. I wonder if it has something to do with having different web browsers.

4/26/2012 5:26:27 PM

Frances
Frances
From the appearance of the April 25 post in reply to IN_Puzzler's question (Dell, Math & Logic Exchange, "Math and Logic-Sudoku Solver") even the Administrator can't quote because of this glitch.

ETA: At first I thought the quote had been just typed in, but now see it's slightly lighter than the reply. So maybe Admin could quote, and it just didn't color blue-gray as usual.

edited by Frances on 4/26/2012

4/27/2012 1:04:08 AM

Semipro
Semipro
P. Pisces, good point about browsers. I'm using Firefox. There's no "quote" option on either side. After the last post on a page, there's "add reply | show rated messages only |" and nothing else.

Admin: If "rated messages" means posts that have received +1 or -1 from readers, it's meaningless now.

4/27/2012 6:12:47 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Semipro,

I'm using Firefox also and like you, just have the "add reply/show rated messages only" option at the very bottom of the last post on the page. However, I do have ONE line of the other options appearing but it's just sitting out in the gray area to the right of the main forum and is not really attached to any one post.

Do you see this also on your computer screen?

4/27/2012 11:34:32 AM

Frances
Frances
Microsoft Internet Explorer here. How about you, Purple Pisces? Anybody else care to share their browser vs. available options?
edited by Frances on 4/27/2012

4/27/2012 12:32:44 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I'm back from vacation, and have a lot of catching up to do. I saw this particular post, and all I can say is, WOW! I hadn't even been aware that (a) people were giving negative ratings to others, and (b) a lot of the options have disappeared. I use Firefox, and on the bottom of my screen today I saw options about "reply" and "only the ones with ratings" (I never looked at the ratings, that I recall, and if it's gone now that's fine with me) but that's all I saw -- nothing any more about "reply with quote."

--
Amy

4/27/2012 12:45:21 PM

Indiana Puzzle Solver
Indiana Puzzle Solver
Frances wrote:
Microsoft Internet Explorer here. How about you, Purple Pisces? Anybody else care to share their browser vs. available options?
edited by Frances on 4/27/2012

I use Chrome and have the option, as one can see.

Home » Your Opinion » To the Forum Administrators