Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Variety Central » Droid/iPhone app development

See what other Variety puzzle fans have to say/share your solutions.
4/28/2012 10:31:15 AM

chelseafrenette
chelseafrenette
I have already sent an email to the creators of penny press variety puzzle magazines about this, anyways i have an idea. I would LOVE to see you develop an app filled with all your wonderful puzzles. Have all the same puzzles as your variety magazines and charge a $5/month subscription rate (just as an example). I love the magazines, but they are too big to fit into my purse, and i want to bring your puzzles with me wherever i go. I think this would be a great investment and you would get TONS of downloads and new subscribers, as most young people like to do everything digitally now anyways. All these brain age games and what not do great, but to have real penny press places, please, and fill-ins right on my phone, would make me the happiest! I think it is a great idea and worth looking into. If any of you who are reading this, please post and let me know if you would be interested in something like this. I would like to know if I'm the only one who would be excited about this, or if we get enough people posting back saying its a great idea, maybe they will listen to us and develop one. I have been patiently waiting for a few years for this app to come out, but so far nothing, so i'm taking matters into my own hands and asking for development. Thank you all for reading this, and i hope to hear from you very soon, and like i said, post if you think it's a good idea smile

4/28/2012 1:56:53 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I personally am an "old fogey" who doesn't have a "smart" phone (my phone is just a phone, besides an alarm clock and address book -- I mean, my phone is mostly a phone, and my camera is a camera, and never the twain shall meet), so I personally would never use a puzzle app, but it does sound like a neat thing for fancy phone owners to try. Who knows, if they had crossword puzzles on line as an app, my husband might even use it on his phone (although I do have a feeling he'd rather print out a real puzzle onto paper, then do it on paper, after bothering me for a pencil or finding one of the many pencils he's moved from one room to another).

I guess there would have to be a way that one could do the puzzle just using the phone, and not have to deal with pencil and paper. That might be a stumbling block to having a puzzle app as something serious, that people might actually pay for. Otherwise, if you wanted to do the puzzle with pencil and paper, you'd have to figure out how to print from your phone, to paper, if that's possible, and then you could do the puzzle. I understand there are some tiny little scanners that some businesspeople can buy when they want to scan something but they're not in their office. That type of technology might make it possible to download the image, scan it, and so on, but I guess you still have to have paper for that. (Maybe I have the idea backwards. The people who buy these tiny scanners, might not have the paper at the time they scan. It might just be they scan whatever it is, it comes out the other end of their gadget, then later the resulting file can be loaded to their real computer to print on real paper.)

So it may turn out to be too much of a pain, for people who'd want to use it, and for developers, but, who knows?

--
Amy

4/28/2012 2:31:28 PM

chelseafrenette
chelseafrenette
What i was trying to say has nothing to do with paper at all, there are many crossword apps, and word search apps already, but they are only cross words and only word searches, and yes it is all done on the phone. I totally understand that you wouldn't know that, with not owning a smart phone. I do and many other people also have smart phones, there is an app for everything these day, from reading the NY Times, to finding a parking space, to finding a bar playing your favourite sports games. All I'm saying is that we are moving into an age where everything is being done with computers and technology, without the use of regular mail and paper bills. I get all my bills emailed to me, I have a kindle, I have bought and read over 15 books this year, without setting foot in a book store. I LOVE new technology, and there are many other people out there just like me, I'm only 26 years old and i have been doing the penny press variety puzzle books since i was about 10 years old, and i still love them. I am just hoping that penny press can find a way to combine both of my loves.

4/28/2012 2:37:40 PM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Hi Chelsea,

Like Amy I am an "old fogey" and just prefer to solve all of my puzzles using the pencil and paper method. smile

Now I'd like to mention something to you and I hope the great people at PennyDell will forgive me, but are you aware that the leading publisher of puzzle magazines in the United Kingdom has apps available for phones and Ipads? You can get them at the Itunes store, just type "Puzzler Media Ltd" in the search box and quite a few will come up. It looks as though these have all become available just since Feb. 2012.

Of course, these aren't PennyDell's terrific puzzles but maybe they'll tide you over until PD decides to develop their own! smile

Bernadette

4/28/2012 2:40:33 PM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
PS. I ended that last sentence above too quickly. It should read, "Of course, these aren't PennyDell's terrific puzzles but maybe they'll tide you over until PD decides to develop their own apps." wink

4/28/2012 2:42:21 PM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Chelsea, I was writing my post at the same time you posted your last message so didn't read it first. Sorry. smile

4/28/2012 6:24:04 PM

chelseafrenette
chelseafrenette
Actually i was not aware of this, for now it seems to be only for iPhone, I am a droid user, so that sucks lol. So I encourage penny press to start out with a droid app, then work to iPhone

5/8/2012 5:06:32 PM

chelseafrenette
chelseafrenette
my original post still stands...if anyone thinks this is a good idea, I would love to hear it. Oh and FYI I found Puzzler World 2 on the Google play store (droid market). It has been out for 4 months and already over 10,000 downloads. Yes this game is free, but only for the first 20 puzzles. I have already paid the $10 for the other 1000 puzzles. I think you should develop an app similar to this, but maybe have the puzzles disappear as you beat them, so as to charge a monthly subscription rate for a digital version of your variety magazines. I only mentioned the Puzzler app to show that is very possible to do this, and I am wondering why penny dell have not come out with their own yet...
edited by chelseafrenette on 5/8/2012

5/8/2012 10:07:52 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Free for a few to get the feel of them, and then only $10 for 1000 puzzles? Sounds like a good price -- not that I'm interested in using a fancy phone to
do my puzzles, but whoever they are, it sounds as if that company has a great way to draw people in.

--
Amy

5/9/2012 10:14:59 AM

admin
admin
Administrator
Thank you for all your posts and feedback! We've been monitoring them closely and wanted to let you know that we do have some apps in development. We don't have a release date at this time, but we'll keep you posted when they become available.

Best,

Admin

5/9/2012 3:33:31 PM

Chris the Indiana Puzzler
Amy Lowenstein wrote:
I personally am an "old fogey" who doesn't have a "smart" phone (my phone is just a phone, besides an alarm clock and address book -- I mean, my phone is mostly a phone, and my camera is a camera, and never the twain shall meet), so I personally would never use a puzzle app, but it does sound like a neat thing for fancy phone owners to try. Who knows, if they had crossword puzzles on line as an app, my husband might even use it on his phone (although I do have a feeling he'd rather print out a real puzzle onto paper, then do it on paper, after bothering me for a pencil or finding one of the many pencils he's moved from one room to another).

I guess there would have to be a way that one could do the puzzle just using the phone, and not have to deal with pencil and paper. That might be a stumbling block to having a puzzle app as something serious, that people might actually pay for. Otherwise, if you wanted to do the puzzle with pencil and paper, you'd have to figure out how to print from your phone, to paper, if that's possible, and then you could do the puzzle. I understand there are some tiny little scanners that some businesspeople can buy when they want to scan something but they're not in their office. That type of technology might make it possible to download the image, scan it, and so on, but I guess you still have to have paper for that. (Maybe I have the idea backwards. The people who buy these tiny scanners, might not have the paper at the time they scan. It might just be they scan whatever it is, it comes out the other end of their gadget, then later the resulting file can be loaded to their real computer to print on real paper.)

So it may turn out to be too much of a pain, for people who'd want to use it, and for developers, but, who knows?

I enjoy technology as much as the next guy but I am definitely "old school" when it comes to solving - pen/pencil paper is the best. Besides, you can't doodle and just jot things down on a smartphone like you can on paper. I can see how dragging puzzles around is tough, but my wife and I always squirrel them away in our car. I keep a few at my cubicle and have them scattered around the house. A different book in the den, one the home office, some on my bed table and even one in the garage so I can solve a few while working in the yard.

--
Peace Out.

5/9/2012 3:40:31 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
That's a riot. So how do you seriously work in the yard? Or is that an excuse to say you're working just because you're in the yard, but you take some
long breaks (such as half an hour at a time)?

--
Amy

5/9/2012 3:45:19 PM

I don't know. I do a lot of crosswords, and a pal of mine described me as "always having the subroutine running" in my head. Before mowing the lawn, solve a few clues or something like that. Having a water break, solve a few clues. If I am outside with the kids, I can just grab a book and solve. I really like going in there during a heavy rainstorm, pull out my lawn chair, listen to the rain and solve.

--
Peace Out.

Home » Variety Central » Droid/iPhone app development