Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Crossword Talk » Dell Crossword Special now defunct

Discuss your favorite Crosswords. If you need solving help, ask here!
8/29/2014 12:11:38 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Bernadette1959 wrote:
Someone posted a question on PennyDell's Facebook page today about Dell Crossword Special and was told that the November 2014 issue will be the last one.

I don't purchase every issue of this magazine, but have enjoyed picking it up occasionally for the Kriss Kross puzzles.

Bernadette, that is sad to hear. I like it for the challenging crosswords printed on magazine size paper.

3/12/2015 4:43:41 PM

eglpzl
eglpzl
That was one of my main favorites, and was torn to pieces about its discontinuation. I now have gone to Solvers choice Crosswords and variety, but its not the same. I noticed too the Sudoku puzzle magazines there are very few, Crazy for sudoku plus variety was another favorite. Stop killing off the magazines please?

5/29/2015 10:10:18 AM

Dell Editorial Staff
Dell Editorial Staff
Those of us who edited Dell Crossword Special are also unhappy that it's no longer in print, as it was a long-running title that had many fans. It's a tough climate for magazines, but we do have other titles that we think fans of the Special will enjoy, including Solver's Choice Crosswords & Variety Puzzles, which contains the same basic combination of puzzles that appeared in Crossword Special, including even more Kriss Krosses, which Bernadette1959 enjoys.
As far as Sudoku titles, we still publish quite a few of them. If you go to our home page and click on Sudoku, you'll find a complete list with accompanying descriptions.
Please know that we do not take the cancellation of any of our titles lightly. We are as disappointed as you are, but tough decisions sometimes need to be made. We thank all of our solvers for their support and feel confident that you can still find puzzles to enjoy among our current lineup of magazines.

2/29/2016 3:16:42 PM

alice clay
alice clay
Speaking of defunct puzzles what happened to the pocket Crossword Puzzles Plus Variety? If I had known I would have bought up every single one since 2009. Now I have to lurk on ebay.

2/29/2016 6:54:09 PM

Josh
Josh
alice clay wrote:
Speaking of defunct puzzles what happened to the pocket Crossword Puzzles Plus Variety? If I had known I would have bought up every single one since 2009. Now I have to lurk on ebay.

Alice, they stopped publishing that a number of years ago (I think late 2010 was the last edition in that format) and it was transformed into what is now Dell Crossword Puzzles, which is an all-crossword title.

For those who like a crossword/variety mix, Solver's Choice Crosswords & Variety Puzzles is really the only remaining choice. It's a full-size magazine, so you don't get the benefit of the smaller size. That used to be a particular favorite for my grandmother, as she liked the ability to put it in her purse and take it to the doctor's office. I end up getting the odd issue here and there on eBay as well, and send them her way when I find them.

3/9/2016 12:33:14 PM

Bogg
Bogg
I would like to know why I cannot find Brick by Brick to purchase. I'm ready but cant find it.

3/9/2016 2:31:17 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Hi Bogg, here's the link for the Brick By Brick Selected Puzzle Books:

https://www.pennydellpuzzles.com/product.aspx?c=selectedpuzzlespuzzlebooks&p=BRK

Home » Crossword Talk » Dell Crossword Special now defunct