Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Word Seek Corner » Family Favorites book

Solvers helping solvers.
8/19/2014 2:05:22 PM

Frances
Frances
I recently picked up the November, 2014 issue of a Family Favorites book with a new title: Spotlight Word Seek Puzzles, 290 pages, and 264 puzzles. It looks like about two-thirds are reprints from the three Spotlight word seek magazines (Celebrity, Movie & TV, and Remember When) and the rest are variety word seeks. Interesting addition to this series of books.

8/22/2014 11:39:24 PM

Anna Booth
Anna Booth
I have always wondered...when they say "Family Favorites" or use "Family" in the title of the publication, is this just a general title marketing type deal - or is it meant to be a book of puzzles that you can work on with the family? I've done some puzzle stuff with friends, but I really don't care to do puzzles together - I would share with my hubby (if he was interested), but I don't know how you can have multiple people working on a puzzle. Then you have to like, slow down or forget your thoughts if you know the answer, but you want to give others time.

Crossword puzzles are a little different - like if you're each doing the same one and you share clues, but that's different.

8/23/2014 8:38:38 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
This sort-of reminds me: I brought a book of Anacrostics to chemotherapy the other day, and my husband brought a newspaper but finished his newspaper and would have had nothing to do. So I told him that once I got tired enough to close my eyes, he could work on my Anacrostics. He finished one that I had started, and made inroads into another one I'd started, making it easier for me to finish it the next day.

--
Amy

8/24/2014 12:00:45 AM

Semipro
Semipro
I always thought the word "Family" was in those magazine titles to suggest wholesomeness (assuring customers that there was no "adult" content to worry about) and nice warm feelings. Another Penny Press title is "Approved . . . ," which conveys the same vague message.

8/24/2014 6:39:36 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
It seems to me that ALL the Penny and Dell puzzles are free of "adult" content.

--
Amy

8/24/2014 9:30:13 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
I think I looked through this magazine at the store but there were no Word Games Puzzles in it so I didn't buy it. If they had only put in one or two I probably would have though. CC

8/24/2014 10:21:18 PM

Semipro
Semipro
Amy Lowenstein wrote:
I agree, but they can't call all of them "Nice, Clean, Approved Family Variety Puzzles."

8/26/2014 10:16:17 AM

admin
admin
Administrator
Bernadette1959 wrote:
Anna, I believe the "Family" designated puzzle books are ones containing puzzles for all age groups, magazines you can leave out on a table in the family room or den and everyone from school-aged children to teens to adults can enjoy solving in them.

I don't solve puzzles with anyone else, either, unless it's the occasional syllacrostic when my grown daughter is here visiting. She has a great knack for figuring out these particular puzzles! wink

You're absolutely right, Bernadette! "Family" means that the puzzles included are not too easy and not too hard, so that there's a puzzle for everybody to enjoy.

Best,
Admin

8/26/2014 10:20:51 AM

admin
admin
Administrator
Semipro wrote:
Amy Lowenstein wrote:
I agree, but they can't call all of them "Nice, Clean, Approved Family Variety Puzzles."

That would be rather wordy. wink Amy is correct, there is no "adult" content in any of our magazines.

Best,
Admin

9/9/2014 4:39:18 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Does this thread refer to the 'giant sized (my description)' word seek that has celebrities on it? I bought this for the first time and love it! We sat around the table and solved as a family. Lots of letterboxes too. I like the size, kind of the digest size, but larger.

9/9/2014 5:24:34 PM

Frances
Frances
This book is 7 1/2" by 10 3/4", the same size as variety magazines, but is 3/4" thick. It's issue #1 and has a red cover. It is giant-sized.

Home » Word Seek Corner » Family Favorites book