Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Crossword Talk » Why, oh why are crosswords still so hard??

Discuss your favorite Crosswords. If you need solving help, ask here!
9/3/2014 7:35:11 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
I've been solving crosswords for about 20 years, since I was 21. When I first began solving, crosswords still used a lot of "crossword-ese," and they seemed truly difficult. There seemed to be a shift away from that to have contemporary language in the puzzles (thanks to Will Shortz). I've been solving the newspaper, Dell, NY Times and other variations for years, but when I pick up the Friday/Saturday NY Times puzzles, "expert" level puzzles from Crossword Special or the *** and **** in Puzzler's Sunday Puzzles, I don't seem to be able to break through and solve these with regularity. My wonderful wife brought me home a book called "Keep Calm and Crossword On... 200 Easy NY Times Crosswords" - it took me forever to solve one of the puzzles and that was supposed to be easy! Just a little philosophical musing here. I thought the more you do something, the better you get at it.

I think I am well read, have a high level of cultural literacy, keep up on current events, have an appreciation for history, and love word play. I want to break through and solve the challenging or expert levels puzzles!

BTW, the puzzle in question was very entertaining, involving what would happen in Dr Higgins and Eliza Doolittle worked on a crossword together. Pretty clever.

9/9/2014 4:42:25 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Funny thing crosswords, I started an expert level (July 2014 Crossword Special) this morning (Summer something is the theme) and was able to solve a large chunk of it in 1/2 hour before work. Sometimes you get them, sometimes you dont.
Also, is it true - I read somewhere here that Crossword Special is ending? IT IS MY FAVORITE!! I hope its the pocket version and not the full size. If so, I MUST get the Nov. issue when it comes out.
edited by Chris_INPUZZLER on 9/9/2014

9/10/2014 10:21:14 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Perhaps "The Editors" will comment. Sorry to see this one go.

9/11/2014 4:13:34 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
That's why I love logic puzzles, all the info you need to solve the puzzle is contained within the puzzle. smile I envy those who do crossword puzzles, and am in awe of those who can even understand the cryptic-crosswords.

9/11/2014 7:19:39 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
I received a paper mailing yesterday. Crossword Special is not one of the subscriptions offered. upset

Home » Crossword Talk » Why, oh why are crosswords still so hard??