Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Word Search & Fill-In Corner » Fill in the blank with know word length ranges

Solvers helping solvers; get help.
9/7/2014 11:13:17 AM

smeeb
smeeb
I have the following two sentences that contain 4 variables (W1, W2, W3 and W4) between them. I must figure out what each missing word is, and the only information I have is a range of possible word lengths for each variable:

The puzzle:
  • There is a W1 in the W2 W3 is near where the road bends which contains very important items.
  • For W4, the top of the W3 is on the counter.

For each variable/missing word, here's what I know about it:

• W1 is 6-8 characters in length
  • W2 is 3-5 characters in length
  • W3 is 3-5 characters in length
  • W4 is 6-8 characters in length

My first inclination is that W3 is either "which" or "that":

• "There is a W1 in the W2 which is near where the road bends which contains very important items."; or
  • "There is a W1 in the W2 that is near where the road bends which contains very important items."

But W3 also exists in sentence #2 and neither which/that make sense for it:

• "For W4, the top of the which is on the counter."; or
  • "For W4, the top of the that is on the counter."

I'd be enormously happy to get any-and-all help for all the 4 variables, but specifically I'm really stumped on W3. It's a word that has to be both a noun (something that has a "top" to it) and a connector that is similar to which/that. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

9/7/2014 8:03:33 PM

smeeb
smeeb
Thanks Bernadette1959! Yeah this is from a puzzle book I've had for years; have some dowtime now and trying to work my way through it!

9/7/2014 8:36:05 PM

Frances
Frances
One way to approach this is that W3 is a noun in both sentences. As a nonsensical example:

There is a mistake in the idea bread is near where the road bends which contains very important items. For example, the top of the bread is on the counter.

Granted, it would sound better if the word "that" was between W2 and W3, but this is the only idea I had. After a few days, would you mind private messaging me the answer from the back of the puzzle book? Thanks!
edited by Frances on 9/7/2014

9/7/2014 11:18:56 PM

Semipro
Semipro
W3 might be "can"or "box." Then the second sentence might read "For example, the top of the box is on the counter" or "For starters, the . . ." But I don't know what W2 could possibly make the first sentence grammatical with this assumption. "There is a message (a magazine, a letter, etc.) in the trash can is near where the road bends . . ." won't do.

Home » Word Search & Fill-In Corner » Fill in the blank with know word length ranges