Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Sudoku Scene » trial and error?

Sudoku fans, share your solving strategies, talk about the types and levels of Sudoku you like best and get help.
1/2/2009 11:01:48 AM

finebergsdaughter
finebergsdaughter
Hi. Are the hard and the challenging level sudoku puzzles in your publications "Satisfactory puzzles"? I'm new to the hard ones, and logic does not seem to be enough <g>. I'm considering making many copies of a puzzle with all the candidates marked, then guessing until the right combination appears. But I fear I will not learn anything that way.wink

1/3/2009 3:28:20 PM

fsk
fsk
So far, all the Sudoku puzzles I've tried have had a unique solution.

Here's how I do hard/challenging puzzles. I use my elementary tactics as much as possible. Elementary tactics are: each number can appear at most once in each row, column, and box. For each square, I write down the candidates that can appear in each. If you can rule out all but two possibilities in two cells of a row, column, or box, then you can erase those two numbers as candidates in the rest of them.

I've written down all the candidates for each cell. Some cells have only two candidates. I then find a suitable cell, and pretend to continue solving both ways. If the cell is down to 35 as candidates, then I make the assumption 3 is there and another assumption that 5 is there. Usually, one of these leads to a contradiction, allowing me to put the other as the result.

There also are more advanced tactics you can Google for.

12/21/2014 3:27:45 PM

rachmeal12&12
rachmeal12&12
After using "Elimination method", and checking very carefully, I find that I CANNOT complete the puzzle WITHOUT "cheating"; i.e., a current status report for each NEW number that I put in! This is AFTER making SURE, that ALL columns and ALL rows, have NO duplication!!! What is the secret, besides just "guessing" from THIS POINT ON?

Home » Sudoku Scene » trial and error?