Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Crossword Talk » RIP Crossword Special

Discuss your favorite Crosswords. If you need solving help, ask here!
9/20/2014 6:18:02 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
I picked up the final Crossword Special and got misty reading the farewell from the editors. RIP CS - I LOVE this magazine.... Good thing I have a stash of about 10 issues not completed from various value packs we bought over the years. I always enjoy matching wits with the creators of the expert crosswords. No worried though - I will continue to seek out Dell Crosswords.

10/13/2014 7:58:27 PM

Frances
Frances
Dell Crossword Special, Pocket Edition, is also being discontinued. The December 2014 issue is the last one.

10/14/2014 7:14:40 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
I was also disappointed to learn of the cancellations. My wife is an avid Jumble solver and was disappointed to see the change. Personally, I am not buying anything new. My wife pointed out that I have 2 40 packs of variety and variety crossword in addition to about a dozen select books in my office in addition to about a year's worth of Sunday Crosswords and Approved Variety books to complete. I have way too may books to justify new purchases. I did snag the final issue of XWord Special, though. I have recently been on a Kakuru solving bender, but they take me a while to get through one puzzle. My modus operandi is to get into solving one type of puzzle and find it in different magazines and solve and then move onto another type of puzzle and so on, instead of solving from cover to cover and then tossing the book. My wife is keeping her Wheel of Fortune word see subscription as she enjoys them.
edited by Chris_INPuzzler on 10/14/2014

1/21/2015 5:15:24 PM

Rosie
Rosie
I live in a very remote community in Australia & have to get my crosswords via subscription - I too am disappointed that the Special is discontinued. In 40 years of solving crosswords, I have never come across any publication that is better at compiling crosswords than Dell. :-(

1/24/2015 11:11:09 PM

PuzzleFan
PuzzleFan
Frances wrote:
Dell Crossword Special, Pocket Edition, is also being discontinued. The December 2014 issue is the last one.

1/24/2015 11:11:56 PM

PuzzleFan
PuzzleFan
Frances wrote:

That one killed me!! It was my favorite!

1/26/2015 1:20:58 PM

admin
admin
Administrator
Rosie wrote:
I live in a very remote community in Australia & have to get my crosswords via subscription - I too am disappointed that the Special is discontinued. In 40 years of solving crosswords, I have never come across any publication that is better at compiling crosswords than Dell. :-(

We're sad to see it go as well, but are very flattered that you hold Dell in such high regard! Perhaps you'll find that Solver's Choice Crosswords & Variety Puzzles is also an excellent publication with both Dell crosswords and variety puzzles: http://ow.ly/HY8t7. Thank you for your loyalty through the years, Rosie!

Best,
Admin

Home » Crossword Talk » RIP Crossword Special