Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » Logic Lovers -- Feb. 2013 -- Raining Cats & Dogs

Logic Problem fans, discuss solutions and get solving help.
10/5/2014 6:28:38 PM

Michael1973
Michael1973
Nothing's more frustrating than consulting the solution to a puzzle for a hint, only to find a leap of logic that makes no sense to you. I worked for over 90 minutes on this puzzle and now have to stop cold.

Clue #3 states that Grace's cat has the same name as Ryan's dog. About 3/4 of the way through the solution, we've determined the names of the cat and dog belonging to the woman in seat L. However, by my deductions, there are still 4 possible women that it could be. And, there are still 4 possible names for Ryan's dog.

And yet somehow, the solution explicitly states that we can now determine that Grace is in seat L, meaning that Ryan's dog is named Grover (citing clue 3 as the explanation).

HELP!

10/6/2014 7:11:48 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I also hate it when they make a "leap of logic" like that. I don't remember what happened when I tried to do this puzzle a couple of years ago. Sorry I can only commiserate, Michael, and not help.

--
Amy

10/6/2014 1:59:10 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Unfortunately, I don't have that magazine. If you want to post the clues, I can try the puzzle and see if I can help! smile

10/10/2014 1:34:21 PM

LogicEditor
LogicEditor
Thanks for sharing your comments about "It's Raining Cats and Dogs" from the February 2013 issue of Logic Lover's Logic Problems. We can match Grace as the owner of the cat named Grover in seat L and Ryan as the owner of the dog named Grover with the help of a few other deductions. No one owns two pets with the same name, no two women own cats with the same name or dogs with the same name, and no two men own cats with the same name or dogs with the same name (introduction). No woman has a cat named Cocoa, Honey, or Rocky (clue 1), so cats owned by women are named Brownie, Goldie, Grover, Peaches, Rafferty, and Sweetpea. No man has a dog named Brownie, Rafferty, or Sweetpea (clue 9), so dogs belonging to men are named Coca, Goldie, Grover, Honey, Peaches, and Rocky. Thus, the name shared by Grace's cat and Ryan's dog is Goldie, Grover, or Peaches. Earlier in the solution, we are able to place Ryan's seat as G. We match Ned as the man in seat E and can determine that he is the man with the dog named Goldie. Through another series of deductions, we are able to place the man in seat K as the man who owns the dog named Peaches. Thus, Ryan, in seat G, is left as the owner of the dog named Grover, so when the solutions states the facts to place the woman in seat L as the woman who owns the cat named Grover, we can use clue 3 to place Grace in seat L and determine that Ryan's dog is named Grover.

I hope this response has been helpful. Happy solving!

10/13/2014 3:17:45 PM

Michael1973
Michael1973
Thanks for this information. Interestingly, before I even saw this, I took another look at the puzzle last night after putting it aside for a week, and managed to figure this out. I'm still not done with the puzzle, but I'm closer to solving it now.

I still believe that the solution could have been a little clearer in explaining how to determine the name of Ryan's dog.

Thanks again.

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » Logic Lovers -- Feb. 2013 -- Raining Cats & Dogs