Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Fill-In Area » AROUND THE BLOCK

Share your strategies and get solving help.
10/17/2014 5:43:12 PM

eddio
eddio
I subscribe to Merit Variety puzzles & new WORD PLAY. I am retired, so when WORD PLAY arrives I lock myself in my "Man Cave" cause that day is WP puzzle day. But guys & gals for the life of me I cannot solve an Around The Block puzzle ever!!! Is there some secret hint or something to look for. I am a puzzle fanatic, but this puzzle beats me to heck. Help Me please, somebody.

Eddio

10/18/2014 11:43:09 AM

Frances
Frances
Start by marking segments of the path in every blank square with 2 sides blocked by bricks or diagram sides. In doing this, some segments will automatically join together when a loose end of the path has only one way to go next. Watch out you don't join 2 ends that will form a loop within the diagram. Look for patterns of "steps" being drawn as once squares have been marked with an entry and an exit, their remaining 2 sides are now "off-limits" to adjacent squares.

10/19/2014 1:20:54 AM

eddio
eddio
Frances, thank you I will try what you said and let you know what happens..

10/20/2014 7:11:20 PM

Frances
Frances
Is the Around the Block in the December, 2014 issue of WordPlay? This puzzle brings to mind that sometimes I do reach a point where I just don't know where to go next, especially when nearing the end of the solve.

Where there may be 2 choices of direction, I try one, using a dotted line. If it doesn't work out (a loop is made, or the path goes from Start to Finish but leaves out some squares), the dotted line can be erased, or ignored if done in ink, without losing the work already done. Then go the other way!

I see they've re-designed the cover of WordPlay, similar to the Classic magazine's new style. I like it better.

Home » Fill-In Area » AROUND THE BLOCK