Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Variety Central » Ignorance of Modern Celebrity Impersonators

See what other Variety puzzle fans have to say, share your solutions, and get help.
10/19/2014 5:29:07 PM

darkbruin89
darkbruin89
So, I am working on logic problem #1 in the June 2014 issue of Official All-Time Favorite Variety Puzzles. In this logic problem, the solver was supposed to deduce the first and last names of a set of five celebrity impersonators and the name of the celebrities they impersonate -- choice of Cher, Bette Midler, Marilyn Monroe, Bill Clinton, and Clark Gable. After going through all the clues, and figuring out what could be figured out and what needed to be crossed out, I had a lot of open space still left on the diagram. I went through the clues several times, and could not get any farther into what should have been an easy puzzle...

...and then it dawned on me....

Even though it was not mentioned in the problem description nor the clues, the logic problem required the solver to assume that the Clinton and Gable impersonations needed to be attached to the two male first names and the Cher, Bette Midler, and Marilyn Monroe impersonations needed to be attached to the three female first names.

Did it occur to the person who wrote this puzzle (and of course, the editor and proofreader who allowed this into the magazine) that Cher, Bette Midler, and Marilyn Monroe are very likely, if not most probably, impersonated by males, and that there are women who impersonate male celebrities? Did it occur to anyone that the younger solvers are very used to the concept of crossdressing impersonators? For lack of a better term, has anyone at least heard of Rupaul's Drag Race?

Folks, if you want to get the younger folks to buy these puzzles, the modern day world needs to be referenced.

Thank you, and have a good day.

10/19/2014 9:42:07 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Wow. I've seen many puzzles where they explicitly say, for example, that there are 3 women named Betty, Sheila and Teresa, and 2 men named Aaron and Paul, even though if they'd left that out, I'd have known Teresa was a woman, etc. But I agree it's best to spell out who's a woman and who's a man. Sometimes it does say that figuring out who "Dana," "Pat" and "Robin" are (names which can be either sex) is part of the puzzle. Yes, this puzzle should have said "males impersonated males; females impersonated females" or something like that.

I've heard of Rupaul. I don't think I've heard of his drag race, but you're probably right that the editors should "get with it" (or at least spell out in the introduction whatever needs to be spelled out that might eliminate the cross-dressing impersonators in the particular puzzle).

--
Amy

10/21/2014 9:29:08 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
I also think that PP and Dell puzzles are relatively timeless (other than crosswords which rely on popular culture a bit) and I do enjoy the wholesomeness of the puzzles - a place to retreat from a lot of the ugliness that permeates "entertainment" choices.

10/21/2014 11:02:09 AM

Frances
Frances
Indiana Puzzle Solver wrote:
I also think that PP and Dell puzzles are relatively timeless (other than crosswords which rely on popular culture a bit) and I do enjoy the wholesomeness of the puzzles - a place to retreat from a lot of the ugliness that permeates "entertainment" choices.

I agree, Chris.

10/21/2014 1:28:57 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
I don't ever recall having to make such assumptions for solving a logic problem, but then again I've never encountered a puzzle with this theme either. A lot of times, as Amy stated, that is part of the puzzle, trying to figure out the gender of the names given. I'd be curious to know the first names given for the impersonators!

By the way, welcome darkbruin89! smile
edited by Purple Pisces on 10/21/2014

11/12/2015 9:36:36 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein wrote:
Wow. I've seen many puzzles where they explicitly say, for example, that there are 3 women named Betty, Sheila and Teresa, and 2 men named Aaron and Paul, even though if they'd left that out, I'd have known Teresa was a woman, etc. But I agree it's best to spell out who's a woman and who's a man. Sometimes it does say that figuring out who "Dana," "Pat" and "Robin" are (names which can be either sex) is part of the puzzle. Yes, this puzzle should have said "males impersonated males; females impersonated females" or something like that.

I've heard of Rupaul. I don't think I've heard of his drag race, but you're probably right that the editors should "get with it" (or at least spell out in the introduction whatever needs to be spelled out that might eliminate the cross-dressing impersonators in the particular puzzle).

--
Amy

11/12/2015 9:37:11 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I just remembered. Rupaul goes around in "drag." That's his "shtick." So referring to a "drag race" is a funny clue, I guess.

--
Amy

11/13/2015 12:25:59 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
There is an actual television show called "RuPaul's Drag Race." The contestants compete to be the best or something and he judges it.

11/16/2015 9:46:52 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Indiana Puzzle Solver wrote:
There is an actual television show called "RuPaul's Drag Race." The contestants compete to be the best or something and he judges it.

Oh, cool, I hadn't known that.

--
Amy

Home » Variety Central » Ignorance of Modern Celebrity Impersonators