Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Variety Central » Do you work straight through or pick and choose?

See what other Variety puzzle fans have to say, share your solutions, and get help.
10/29/2014 12:33:35 PM

IA_parent
IA_parent
Hi. I'm sort of new at puzzles... or at least, I'm still at the easy level and am trying to get better at the ones that stump me. wink

I'm just curious... when you start a new puzzle book, do you try to work straight through and do the variety of puzzles as you encounter them? Or, do you pick and choose?

I'm trying to mostly work straight through because I want to get better at most of them. I know if I was picking and choosing, I'd leave the ones I struggle with the most for the end and then never want to do them! For example: anything Crostic or clue related. I don't have the crossword/crostic clue knack and all but the easiest have me cheating from the back of the magazine. smile

10/29/2014 10:11:40 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Welcome IA_parent!! smile I'm probably not the best one to answer your question since I don't really do variety puzzles, I do logic puzzles. For me I pick and choose as I go. I'll scan the pages and will pick a puzzle that appeals to me based on the subject matter of the puzzle and the difficulty level. For logic puzzles, typically they get more difficult as you advance further into the book. One thing that is nice about picking and choosing, and something than can transfer over to variety puzzles, is that if you're in the mood for an easier type puzzle you can do one of those, or if you're in for a challenge you can choose a more difficult puzzle.

10/30/2014 6:20:30 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I think if I were to get stuck on a particular puzzle and had vowed to do every single one, in order, no matter what, then I'd never get to some of the later puzzles. Sometimes a logic puzzle late in the logic magazine, appeals to me and is easier for ME than an earlier, so-called easier one; it all depends.

--
Amy

10/30/2014 8:16:56 AM

IA_parent
IA_parent
Amy's comment about vowing to do them straight through is where I started thinking about this. I'd decided to try to work straight through a magazine but then ran into a few in a row that were pretty difficult for me and it started to be less fun.

I think I'll start picking and choosing but still trying to make myself keep working on those crostics and clue based puzzles. I'm eventually I'll get better at them. smile

Thanks for the input.

11/9/2014 3:28:06 PM

eglpzl
eglpzl
I also pick and choose, I thumb through to see if there are any interesting Cryptograms, or Crosswords, or cross sums, or something I havnt tried that I think I could figure out.
All in all, I LOVE DELL"S SOLVERS CHOICE CROSSWORD, VARIETY.

3/9/2016 4:43:44 PM

JohnJSal
JohnJSal
I'm always interested in how other people do their puzzles! For me, I pick and choose (and have yet to fully complete any one issue!). I usually start with a Word Games Puzzle, because I love them and they are so few that by the time I get a new issue, I haven't done one in a while. Probably time to get a collection book of them!

Usually after I do what I consider a "big" puzzle, like Word Games Puzzles, Crostics, Syllacrostic, etc. (anything that takes more time), I like to wander through and do little puzzles that only take a few minutes. Then I'll buckle down for a big one again.

As for Crostics, I only recently started doing them because I used to think they were so hard too. Finally I made myself try one, and it didn't take all that long to solve it. A big part of solving them for me is using my knowledge of word and sentence structure to figure out the quote, and then get letters to plug into the clue answers. (This makes the diagramless Crostics especially diabolical!)

Same with Codewords. They looked impossible to me for the longest time, then I just made myself do one, and I got the hang of them. They are a blast!

So I encourage you to try a Crostic! Once you get the rhythm of solving it, it will become a lot easier!

3/10/2016 9:57:58 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
I've been solving Crostics almost exclusively since the first of the year. I find that most of them are so much easier for me now than when I was in my twenties. I love to read, and I guess that fact, coupled with thirty years life experience has made it easier for me to come up with the answers to some of the more difficult clues. But having said that, I still have to occasionally look up an answer in the back of the book.

A couple of weeks ago I successfully completed TWO diagramless Crostics one right after the other and I just thought I was hot stuff. LOL! Well...my winning streak didn't last long. I've since had to admit defeat on two more diagramless puzzles, but I intend to keep trying! wink

3/10/2016 5:13:35 PM

Josh
Josh
I don't know why, but Crostics/Anacrostics remain a frustrating exercise for me, and that's despite spending consistent time solving crosswords again. I think I just have a really hard time getting them going. Somehow I find myself always ending up with different words that have the same number of letters. I was able to solve a handful of them in one of the bigger volumes that had 20 of them (frustrating to have a puzzle I am indifferent about taking 1/8 of many of the huge Dell volumes, but I digress), but I fall apart quickly. Like the Cryptic Crosswords, however, I keep trying. Eventually I hope to figure out a way to make it work for me.

3/11/2016 10:22:50 PM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Josh wrote:
Eventually I hope to figure out a way to make it work for me.

I feel the same way about Cross Sums! Every once in a while I am able to solve half of one, then I get stuck and frustrated and eventually just give it up.

Some of the Crostic clues can be extremely baffling, even in the first and second puzzles, which are supposed to be easier, I thought. Just the other day, I came across the clue SPIN. The answer was a seven-letter word. I was certain it had to be "revolve", but believe it or not, the answer was ENGLISH. My first response when I eventually worked it out was "What??" LOL I was sure it must have been an error, but no, I looked up the two words and found that spinning a ball is often referred to as putting the "English" on it. Good grief. wink

5/6/2016 11:14:22 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I took a look at this thread again, and wanted to make another comment. I often buy magazines that are all-Codewords, or all-Crostics, or all-Logic, and lately I've bought some that are all-Anagram-Magic-Squares.

So I usually start working on one of those books and go all the way through it, though sometimes I take out two different books at once (for example, Codewords and Logic) and go back and forth between the two books.

Usually within each book, I'll start at the beginning and work my way through to the end, but if it so happens that I "hit a wall" on one puzzle, I'll go to the next one and come back to the one where I'd "hit a wall" later on. Sometimes it's easier when I come back to it later.

--
Amy

Home » Variety Central » Do you work straight through or pick and choose?