Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Crossword Talk » Crossword Extravaganza

Discuss your favorite Crosswords. If you need solving help, ask here!
12/5/2014 1:00:33 PM

Frances
Frances
I picked up the first issue of "Crossword Extravaganza" (November, 2014) a few days ago, and am really enjoying it. Crossword #9 on page 16 ("Atlas Hummed" by James Myers) really threw me, as it took quite a while before it dawned on me what was going on. Twenty-one squares in the game! Fun.

One thing I would change in the magazine is to not intersperse the easier 15x puzzles with the harder 21x ones, but put them in the front pages by themselves.

9/3/2016 9:50:50 PM

Frances
Frances
I have enjoyed three issues of this magazine so far: Vol. 1 November 2014; Vol. 2 November 2015; and Vol. 3 May 2016. Has anyone seen a reference on any PennyDell site in the recent past about what the frequency of issues is to be on Extravaganza? If it's twice a year now (that'd be nice), maybe I should start looking for the next one soon!

9/7/2016 12:20:22 AM

Josh
Josh
Frances wrote:
I have enjoyed three issues of this magazine so far: Vol. 1 November 2014; Vol. 2 November 2015; and Vol. 3 May 2016. Has anyone seen a reference on any PennyDell site in the recent past about what the frequency of issues is to be on Extravaganza? If it's twice a year now (that'd be nice), maybe I should start looking for the next one soon!

They haven't specifically posted on it, but given that the original volumes appeared timed to holidays (perhaps as gifts), and the most recent issues of Crossword Extravaganza and the sister volumes (Sudoku and Only Yesterday Word Seeks) were timed exactly a half year apart, I'd say you're probably on the money about a Vol 4 coming out in the fall. That said, the print dates on the last two years was mid-October and early November, respectively, so I'd say you're probably 6-8 weeks out before you see a Vol 4 in the wild. Unlike the cover dates, the dates inside the magazines for these volumes appear to more accurately reflect when they're released (as the sell by dates go months past those dates, to around February).
I'm hoping that if the success continues they move quarterly; I'm just finishing up Sudoku Spectacular Vol. 3 and I continue to really enjoy the paper quality on these volumes relative to normal. It just feels really good in the hands.

11/15/2016 9:45:51 AM

Josh
Josh
And sure enough, they came out last week! Printing looks more consistent on the copies I've found.

1/12/2017 6:10:45 PM

Frances
Frances
One of the magazines that Crossword Extravaganza picks puzzles to reprint from is Sunday Crosswords. I found four such puzzles from the latter's Spring 2016 issue were in the Volume 4, December 2016 issue of Extravaganza. So this is less than a year between original and reprint.

I personally would prefer a longer gap----3 or 4 years at least. There may be others who buy both magazines, too, and would rather not encounter one of these still-familiar themed crosswords so soon.

1/14/2017 11:30:37 AM

Josh
Josh
Frances wrote:
One of the magazines that Crossword Extravaganza picks puzzles to reprint from is Sunday Crosswords. I found four such puzzles from the latter's Spring 2016 issue were in the Volume 4, December 2016 issue of Extravaganza. So this is less than a year between original and reprint.

I personally would prefer a longer gap----3 or 4 years at least. There may be others who buy both magazines, too, and would rather not encounter one of these still-familiar themed crosswords so soon.

Is Sunday Crosswords all new puzzles? Or did they happen to reprint the same puzzle twice? I have quite a few of the old Crosswords Crosswords books; just haven't taken the time to take a look.

1/14/2017 2:52:36 PM

Frances
Frances
Josh wrote:

Is Sunday Crosswords all new puzzles? Or did they happen to reprint the same puzzle twice? I have quite a few of the old Crosswords Crosswords books; just haven't taken the time to take a look.

Josh, some of the crosswords in Sunday Crosswords are, evidently, themselves reprints. Not sure to what extent, though. I did just finish a puzzle by Frances Hansen, who passed away in 2004.

edited by Frances on 1/25/2017

Home » Crossword Talk » Crossword Extravaganza