Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » Open letter to Dell editors

Logic Problem fans, discuss solutions and get solving help.
12/10/2014 11:03:56 AM

Gary Kleppe
Gary Kleppe
Dear editors,

For years now, issues of Math & Logic Problems have borne the legend "Collector's Edition" on the cover. On the table of contents page, at the bottom in small type, it tells you what this means: "The puzzles in this magazine were first published in issues of Dell Math Puzzles and Logic Problems." This used to be every alternate issue. Now it is every issue and has been so for some time.

So, I have a simple question: How long will it be until it stops and we start getting new puzzles again?

I'm seriously considering letting my subscription expire. It's not just the fact that you are charging me new money for old puzzles that I've already seen. It's also that all of my many inquiries to you on the subject have been rudely ignored. These include messages posted to this board as well as emails sent to the contact address which is published in the books (you know, where it says that you'd love to hear from us and how comments and questions are always welcome) and on this website. The first time I sent such an email, I got a reply saying that it would be forwarded to editorial, and never heard back. The second time, I was mailed an extra copy of the current issue. That was a nice thing to do, but it would've been nicer if someone had actually read my message.

I do enjoy solving your puzzles, and would miss them. But I am loath to keep doing business with a company that does not value its customers enough to answer a simple question. Thanks for reading this, if anyone actually is.

Gary Kleppe

12/16/2014 3:52:20 PM

admin
admin
Administrator
Gary Kleppe wrote:
Dear editors,

For years now, issues of Math & Logic Problems have borne the legend "Collector's Edition" on the cover. On the table of contents page, at the bottom in small type, it tells you what this means: "The puzzles in this magazine were first published in issues of Dell Math Puzzles and Logic Problems." This used to be every alternate issue. Now it is every issue and has been so for some time.

So, I have a simple question: How long will it be until it stops and we start getting new puzzles again?

I'm seriously considering letting my subscription expire. It's not just the fact that you are charging me new money for old puzzles that I've already seen. It's also that all of my many inquiries to you on the subject have been rudely ignored. These include messages posted to this board as well as emails sent to the contact address which is published in the books (you know, where it says that you'd love to hear from us and how comments and questions are always welcome) and on this website. The first time I sent such an email, I got a reply saying that it would be forwarded to editorial, and never heard back. The second time, I was mailed an extra copy of the current issue. That was a nice thing to do, but it would've been nicer if someone had actually read my message.

I do enjoy solving your puzzles, and would miss them. But I am loath to keep doing business with a company that does not value its customers enough to answer a simple question. Thanks for reading this, if anyone actually is.

Gary Kleppe

Thanks for reaching out, Gary. Our Editorial Team reports that Math Puzzles & Logic Problems magazine is composed of previously published puzzles and currently there are not plans to introduce new logic problems into this magazine. We understand that this does not meet with your expectations and we apologize.

Best,
Admin

12/23/2014 10:53:45 PM

Josh
Josh
I'd like to echo Gary's concern about the reprint policy, but for different reasons - as a middle schooler, Math & Logic Problems was the first Dell title I became a consistent purchaser (issue #13, in fact - I considered my discovery of it quite lucky!). However, 20 or so years later, the title isn't particularly different than it was then. Given the bread and butter of it consists of three Dell stalwarts - Cross Sums, Logic Problems and Figure Logic - that's not necessarily surprising. However, with the reprint policy in place, to me, at times it starts to feel a bit stale.

I just noted on another post how sister brand Penny has been surprisingly innovative lately in that space, ironically through the Wordplay publication. Part of my surprise is I always got the feeling Dell had a bit of a stronger reputation for being the math/logic leader, especially given how virtually all the Sudoku titles are now running through Dell's brand. I see signs of life with Sudoku Spectacular (I'll post on that separately at some point, but my one sentence summary is it's an awesome step forward and a great effort by the Dell team) but it seems like the opportunities are there to take some chances and perhaps grow the Math & Logic title anew.

Logic Art is an obvious omission given it's showing up in a number of Penny and Dell publications, but any of the logic variations, Sudoku variations, etc. that have shown up recently in Wordplay and SS would be good starts; if I'm surmising correctly that the Logic Art puzzles are being sourced from Conceptis (their grids are pretty easy to identify), perhaps other puzzles from their lineup could be sourced too? They and Nikoli have a number of great logic puzzles (Slitherlink, Nurikabe, Battleships, etc.) that could be great choices to offer some more variety. Heck, I'd even be OK with some supplementary puzzles from within the Dell lineup - more Trigons (could we get 2 per issue consistently?), Collectibles... even a page of Extreme Sudoku to further vary the sudoku count a bit.

Anyway, getting long winded here, but as someone who's a loyal solver of many of Dell's publications, but have a particular soft spot for the math & logic genre, I hope some fresh concepts make their way in at some point. In the meantime, I'll certainly enjoy what you have out there and thank you for all the years of puzzling so far; looking forward to many more to come.

1/4/2015 8:53:55 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Another logic fan here! I have noticed that all 3 logic magazines, as far as I can tell, contain puzzles that have previously been published. I don't mind the reprints. In fact, I solved a puzzle the other day that I know I solved in the past, and it was just as much a challenge for me the second time around. My concern is if there is a dwindling interest for the logic genre. In the past year or so Penny/Dell has gone from having 5 logic titles down to 3. And if the only titles that are left are all reprints, I'm worried about the future of these titles.

I do have some hope with the recent addition of British Logic to Penny's Selected Puzzles, which I am patiently awaiting delivery of the first 2 volumes. On a side note to the Dell editors if they are reading, would you please consider adding Trigons back to the Dell Collector's Series? I love these puzzles and they are so hard to find!!

I like jjofriends's idea of adding some new life to the logic magazines. I know that Dell has Logic & Math, and I think it would be neat if Penny Press maybe came out with a title that contained both traditional logic puzzles as well as other word logic based puzzles such as Fill-Ins, Letterboxes, and Places, Please for example.

I know that a lot of these puzzles, if not all of them, are constructed by people and that it takes a lot of time and work. I've said it in the past, and will say it again, Thank You to all the puzzles constructors, logic and otherwise, who share their talents and time with us, and who bring us so much enjoyment!! smile

1/4/2015 9:36:01 PM

Josh
Josh
Just seconding everything Purple Pisces said here, from the Trigons Collectors Series (perhaps the downloadable puzzle packet route is a more realistic option right now?) and the Penny Press logic title possibility (I LOVE Places, Please and Letterboxes as well - currently enjoying Master's Variety Puzzles Vol. 99, which has 20 Places, Please in it, plus a few other fun logic-based puzzles that's pushing my brain a bit harder!). I sadly wasn't up on the Collectors Series titles at that time Trigons was on the list, and of course now I see Trigons on the Collectors Series list in a ton of the back issues I sometimes pull out to work on, ironically to circle back to Trigons puzzles I missed before wink

I also share my thanks with the constructors, editors, etc., who keep me on my toes with their challenging puzzles, as well as Penny Press and Dell for keeping us and them busy!

2/7/2015 7:06:45 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
I only do Penny Press magazines but I do ALL of them. Very seldom do I see a reprint of a puzzle. It makes me wonder if Dell does this more often and if it's mostly Logic puzzles being reprinted. I do remember every puzzle I do. Once in awhile I'll buy the same magazine twice so I put one away for a few years and can still remember all the puzzles. I'm not a Logic puzzle fan as you all know but I think I would remember those most of all because they take so much more thought than other puzzles. I do agree that if I ran into this problem often I would stop buying the magazines and just stick to the Select Puzzle mags which I'm thinking about doing anyway. I spend too much money on magazines that I don't even do half the puzzles in them. Just time for a change I think. CC

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » Open letter to Dell editors