Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Variety Central » What's the Order puzzles and Mastermind

See what other Variety puzzle fans have to say, share your solutions, and get help.
1/9/2009 12:41:07 AM

jinks14
jinks14
Greetings! I enjoy solving the What's the Order? puzzle that have appeared from time to time, usually in Math Puzzles & Logic Problems. I have a copy of the out-of-print and hard to find boardgame Number Mastermind which I use in solving these puzzles. One can find many sites devoted to the game of Mastermind, and for anyone who is a big fan of this game I recommend 2 out-of-print books that can found on Amazon -- The Official Mastermind Handbook and the Official Mastermind Puzzle Book. Each week I will try to post a Mastermind puzzle at this thread. The solution will be posted on Sunday.
Original Mastermind uses 4 spaces or "holes" for each code and the 6 colors red, blue, yellow, green, black, and white. Super Mastermind uses 5 holes and 8 colors, adding orange and brown. The puzzles vary in difficulty, but they can solved using logic to determine where each color should go. Here is the first puzzle:

1. Blue Black Yellow Red X
2. White Black Green Black OO
3. White White Green Red OOX
4. Black Black White Green XX
5. Blue Red Green Black OX
6. ? ? ? ?

X indicates a color that is correctly placed in the code, and O indicates that a color is part of the code, but in the wrong place. Although not essential or absolutely necessary a Mastermind game set is helpful in solving these puzzles. Enjoy! The solution will be posted on Sunday.

1/11/2009 11:41:42 AM

jinks14
jinks14
Here is the solution to the Mastermind puzzle I posted a few days ago. The correct answer is: Blue White White Green. Here's how the puzzle is solved.
First, in Line 4 the guess of Black Black White Green produces two X's, meaning two colors are correctly placed. But in Line 2 the guess of White Black Green Black produces two O's -- two incorrectly placed colors. Thus Black cannot go in Hole 2, and since there are no incorrectly placed colors in Line 4 Black does not belong in the code at all. So White and Green are correctly placed in Holes 3 and 4, respectively. In line 1 the guess of Blue Black Yellow and Red produces only one X. We've already eliminated Black from the code, and since none of the colors in Line 1 are incorrectly placed Yellow and Red are now eliminated as well. Therefore Blue goes in Hole 1. In Line 3 White White Green Red produces the result of OOX, so White must go in Hole 2, showing that one white peg is correctly placed while the other white peg and the green peg are in the wrong places -- and thus the puzzle is solved. I hope you enjoyed this puzzle. I'll post a new Mastermind puzzle in a few days.

1/16/2009 12:04:12 PM

jinks14
jinks14
Here is a new Mastermind puzzle for this week. The puzzle is as follows:

1. Yellow Red Green Black OX
2. White Green Blue Red XX
3. Green Red Black Blue OX
4. Blue Black Red Red O
5. Yellow Red Green Red OX
6. ? ? ? ?

Remember that X's represent black key pegs, showing a color that is correctly placed; and O's represent white key pegs, showing a color that is in the code but incorrectly placed. The solution will be posted on Sunday. Good luck with solving!

1/20/2009 1:35:10 PM

jinks14
jinks14
We got busy watching playoff football on Sunday, so I'm just now posting the solution to last week's Mastermind puzzle. The solution is: Yellow Green Blue Blue. I'll post again later with an explanation of the solution.

Home » Variety Central » What's the Order puzzles and Mastermind