Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Sudoku Scene » Will Shortz's Sudoku

Sudoku fans, discuss your solving strategies and get help.
2/5/2015 12:16:20 PM

Frances
Frances
A new magazine from Penny Press: Will Shortz's Sudoku. About one-quarter of the magazine contains regular sudoku puzzles, and the remaining three-quarters are of 11 different variations. Two of my favorites: KenKen (24) and Tight Fit (9) are included.

2/5/2015 1:30:04 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Thanks for posting Frances!! I usually don't get excited about Sudoku titles but where 3/4 of the magazine are variations, I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for it. I love KenKen! I've never heard of the Tight Fit variation and had to google it. Sounds neat!

2/5/2015 3:43:03 PM

Frances
Frances
I don't generally buy sudoku magazines, but because of the variations, and the fact that this was a first issue, made me pick it up. The harder sudokus are beyond me, so I probably will only complete about half of it. Tight Fit is relatively new to me. I have to work one slowly and carefully as I have a tendency to mess it up! It is fun, though.

I miss the KenKen magazines. One of the contributors to this new magazine is Thomas Snyder, known as Dr. Sudoku. He makes KenKen puzzles, too, but because that is a registered name, he called his own ones TomTom puzzles! smile

2/5/2015 8:34:11 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
I got an email today advertising this magazine and it mentions a couple of other variations I've never heard of. Guess I've been out of the Sudoku loop, LOL!! Looking forward to picking up a copy.

2/6/2015 1:03:55 PM

Josh
Josh
It looks like most/all of the variations originated in the Sudoku Spectacular book they issued last fall; a lot of the same constructors as well. That one was printed full size, with more puzzles, on nicer paper, with the price tag higher accordingly. The ratio of puzzles also feels roughly equivalent. They have it separately available on their website:

http://www.pennydellpuzzles.com/product.aspx?c=SudokuPuzzleBooks&p=SPC

The only gripe I had with Sudoku Spectacular is that the light gray printing on some of the handcrafted variations (which provide needed clues to solve) is so light to almost be illegible on my copy. I'm toughing through it but my eyes are definitely getting a workout. The Will Shortz's Sudoku book I bought didn't have that issue.

Kudos to Penny Press and Dell for pushing the envelope here - I'm finding the variations to be a lot of fun! It's a nice evolution of the Crazy for Sudoku Favorites Collection model (which has all the standard Dell/Penny variations), but the handcrafted puzzles are the stars here.

2/20/2015 3:17:19 PM

Frances
Frances
It's news to me, but KenKen is also called calcudoku and mathdoku, and apparently has been for some time. So, Purple Pisces, the KenKen loop is one that I've been out of.

2/25/2015 8:45:05 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Last I checked this new magazine has not made it to my area, but I'm sure I'll stumble across an issue sometime. All the storms that have been hitting the Northeast hasn't helped!! This has been the worst February I can remember! Really looking forward to Spring!

I wanted to mention, speaking of Will Shortz and KenKen, that I recently got a book of Will Shortz's KenKen puzzles and the grids go up to 9x9, compared to the 6x6 you'll find in the Dell publications. I haven't got around to solving any yet, but am looking forward to the added challenge!

2/26/2015 2:29:29 PM

Josh
Josh
There's a book series of white, green, brown and black belt Ken-Ken with sizes and difficulty increasing as you progress through the series. I'm on the third book, Brown Belt, that I work on here and there and the grids are 8x8 and 9x9 - very challenging. Looking ahead to the Black Belt book, they around half way through remove the function symbols! Definitely tricky. They have similar book series for Kakuro (Cross Sums) and Sudoku.

2/27/2015 9:32:23 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
jjofriends wrote:
There's a book series of white, green, brown and black belt Ken-Ken with sizes and difficulty increasing as you progress through the series. I'm on the third book, Brown Belt, that I work on here and there and the grids are 8x8 and 9x9 - very challenging. Looking ahead to the Black Belt book, they around half way through remove the function symbols! Definitely tricky. They have similar book series for Kakuro (Cross Sums) and Sudoku.

That DOES sound tricky, but something I would love to try!

4/17/2015 12:42:00 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Yeah!! I was finally able to find Will Shortz's Sudoku at my local store!! There are a lot of neat variations I can't wait to try. The most intriguing one to me is the three-dimensional sudoku .

4/22/2017 8:06:44 PM

gauthier
gauthier
I got a 14-issue subscription to Will Shortz's Sudoku back when it began in June 2015. Today, I received the June 2017 Crazy for Sudoku Favorites Collection. I suspect that Will Shortz's Sudoku has been discontinued, but I'm curious because the April 2017 Will Shortz's Sudoku makes no mention of the title's discontinuation.

4/24/2017 11:51:57 PM

Josh
Josh
gauthier wrote:
I got a 14-issue subscription to Will Shortz's Sudoku back when it began in June 2015. Today, I received the June 2017 Crazy for Sudoku Favorites Collection. I suspect that Will Shortz's Sudoku has been discontinued, but I'm curious because the April 2017 Will Shortz's Sudoku makes no mention of the title's discontinuation.

The April issue's cover end date was 4/7 and I haven't seen June around, so you may be right. That's disappointing. If there's a bright side, there will be a new Sudoku Spectacular volume in May, which at least includes the same variations. I hope they find a new home for the Sudoku championship puzzles though; maybe Dell Math & Logic can absorb them somehow?

Home » Sudoku Scene » Will Shortz's Sudoku