Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Crossword Talk » Puzzler's Sunday

Discuss your favorite Crosswords. If you need solving help, ask here!
3/2/2015 11:04:43 AM

Frances
Frances
I picked up the latest issue (Spring 2015) of Dell Puzzler's Sunday Crosswords. A bit disappointing. It's gone down from 162 pages to 98, and from 6 times a year to 4. The "medium" difficulty puzzles are no longer included. The number of 15x15 size (one per page) remains the same, but the larger 2-page crosswords went from 52 to 23. Costs more per puzzle now, too. I'll probably keep buying it, though, as I enjoy solving the crosswords. Still . . . darn.

3/2/2015 4:36:48 PM

lindabhat
lindabhat
I noticed the same thing. It's a flimsy thin book now. I wish there were a better alternative.

4/26/2015 4:24:12 PM

Frances
Frances
Just finished the crossword on page 85, Mark Diehl's "Close to the Close", in Puzzler's Sunday Crosswords, Spring 2015. I don't understand the puzzle's title. Can anyone explain it to me?

4/26/2015 10:22:50 PM

Semipro
Semipro
Frances, I don't have that magazine, but is the theme real estate, by any chance, or some other sales field? "Closing a deal."

4/26/2015 11:54:43 PM

Frances
Frances
I was thinking that each 'close' in the title might be pronounced differently, but I hadn't thought of the 'deal' angle. Still can't see anything. The long entries don't seem to have any connection to a theme or to each other. Perhaps there's some gimmick within the grid or the clues that's escaping me. I'll study it a bit more.

4/27/2015 2:11:35 PM

Frances
Frances
The puzzle is third from the end of the magazine. Maybe it's themeless, and the title simply refers to this position. If so, phooey. Some editor must know what "Close to the Close" signifies here, though.

5/29/2015 3:50:36 PM

Dell Editorial Staff
Dell Editorial Staff
Hi Frances...you are correct in that the title of the puzzle in question, "Close to the Close," refers to its position within the magazine. It is not, therefore, a themed puzzle in the true sense of the word; however, the editors of Sunday Crosswords felt that it was a terrific hard puzzle with an unusual wide open grid so chose to include it. Even though it wasn't a traditional themed puzzle, we do hope you enjoyed it.

5/29/2015 3:55:53 PM

Dell Editorial Staff
Dell Editorial Staff
Solvers...as you've noticed, the frequency and page count of Puzzler's Sunday Crosswords has changed. Three of the quarterly issues will be 98 pages and the fourth will remain at 160 pages. We know that a number of you may not be happy with these changes, but we feel it's more important to keep this unique magazine afloat, and these changes were necessary in order for that to happen. You can be assured that each issue continues to feature puzzles from those constructors whose puzzles you enjoy and that the same time and attention goes into editing each crossword. We thank you for your past support and hope you continue to enjoy Sunday Crosswords in the future.

5/29/2015 4:13:41 PM

Frances
Frances
Dell Editorial Staff wrote:
Hi Frances...you are correct in that the title of the puzzle in question, "Close to the Close," refers to its position within the magazine. It is not, therefore, a themed puzzle in the true sense of the word; however, the editors of Sunday Crosswords felt that it was a terrific hard puzzle with an unusual wide open grid so chose to include it. Even though it wasn't a traditional themed puzzle, we do hope you enjoyed it.

I did enjoy it! And I'm happy to hear there will be one issue with 160 pages.

9/11/2015 8:11:54 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
I picked up the Fall issue. I have to say I like the new format as it is less pages and stapled, which makes the book more manageable from my perspective. I was hoping to get the 2015 American Crossword Tournament puzzles as has been included in the early fall issues (Oct) in past years. Did I miss them this year or will they be published in the next (larger) issue?

9/15/2015 8:31:52 AM

Dell Editorial Staff
Dell Editorial Staff
Hi...to answer your question, Indiana Puzzle Solver, the 2015 ACPT puzzles will appear in the Winter 2016 issue of Dell Sunday Crosswords, which goes on sale the week of December 14. We're confident you'll enjoy the challenge of these tournament puzzles, in addition to the others in this upcoming edition.

9/15/2015 3:32:09 PM

Josh
Josh
Dell Editorial Staff wrote:
Hi...to answer your question, Indiana Puzzle Solver, the 2015 ACPT puzzles will appear in the Winter 2016 issue of Dell Sunday Crosswords, which goes on sale the week of December 14. We're confident you'll enjoy the challenge of these tournament puzzles, in addition to the others in this upcoming edition.

I for one am happy to hear this! I've been getting back into crosswords lately (downloaded the PuzzleNation app!) and the tournament takes place in my backyard practically, so I'm contemplating giving it a try next year! It'll be good to give this year's puzzles a try.

Home » Crossword Talk » Puzzler's Sunday