Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Logic Problem Exchange » Original Logic Problems - British Edition

Logic Problem fans, discuss solutions and get solving help.
3/6/2015 11:26:46 AM

Katy56
Katy56
It is now 2015 and I still don't know why Penny Publications discontinued my favorite Logic Problems - British Edition. I emailed Penny Publications asking why they were discontinued and received no reason why, just an email asking me to buy a subscription to Original Logic Problems which are not half as entertaining as the British Edition. I don't want old issues as I have already solved most of them. Is there anything else out there like the British Edition? From the recurring characters to the funny pictures on each problem, I am definitely sorry they are gone.

3/6/2015 12:03:22 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Katy56 wrote:
It is now 2015 and I still don't know why Penny Publications discontinued my favorite Logic Problems - British Edition. I emailed Penny Publications asking why they were discontinued and received no reason why, just an email asking me to buy a subscription to Original Logic Problems which are not half as entertaining as the British Edition. I don't want old issues as I have already solved most of them. Is there anything else out there like the British Edition? From the recurring characters to the funny pictures on each problem, I am definitely sorry they are gone.

I may be wrong about this, but I think Penny/Dell e-mailed me a couple of months ago that I could get a subscription to British logic problems. I don't know if those would be old ones, or what. I'm holding off on getting the subscription for now, because I still have a lot of old magazines to go thru first.

--
Amy

3/6/2015 12:08:17 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I'll try to attach the PDF that I just made, of the 1/15/15 e-mail from Penny Press about British logic subscriptions. If I can't attach it here, maybe you can send me your e-mail address and I'll send you an e-mail with it attached (I figure if I can't attach a PDF to the public forum, I probably can't even attach it to a "private" post using the Penny/Dell website. But we'll see.)

You can't attach anything to the public forum, but I'll try the "private forum" route and if that doesn't work, we'll do it by e-mail outside the forum.

Once I tried the "private post" method, I found that I was indeed able to add an attachment, so check your private messages, and you'll find the PDF of Penny's e-mail to me about subscribing to British logic magazines. Happy puzzling.
edited by Amy-in-PA on 3/6/2015

--
Amy

3/6/2015 3:39:46 PM

Frances
Frances
British logics are now available in Penny Press Selected Puzzles as "England's Best Logic Puzzles". I got the first two volumes, and these may contain recent puzzles as I've already done one with 2011-2014 dates in the storyline. I hope they turn out to be popular enough to justify further volumes.

3/6/2015 4:07:54 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
I ordered the first 2 volumes too and, like you Frances, hope that they continue to offer them as Selected Puzzles. If they are going to bring back the British Logic subscription, I might have to get that one in addition to the Original Logic Problems subscription I have! smile

3/6/2015 8:52:43 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Amy shared the email she received, which I received as well but didn't realize it at first, and it is for the Selected Puzzles that Frances posted about. I'm glad that Penny Press is continuing to offer these puzzles because they do seem to be a favorite among logic fans! smile

5/4/2015 7:24:02 PM

JoyP
JoyP
I, too, wonder why Penny Press discontinued the British Edition of the Logic Problems. I loved them. But I did buy all the old issues of the British
Edition that I could find online (from Penny Press and Ebay), even though I've had all these issues before. And I've found that even though I solved
all the British Logic Problems in years past, you tend to forget them and so it's been OK--I've enjoyed solving them again. So if you're disappointed at
the discontinuation of the British Edition, as I am, try some of the old issues again--you might find that you, too, have forgotten the problems and might
enjoy solving them all over again.

5/4/2015 7:29:16 PM

JoyP
JoyP
About the new Penny Press Selected Puzzles, it seemed to me from the description of them that they are simply a collection of puzzles from past
British Edition Logic Problems issues. I'm sure they'd be fun, but you could probably get the same puzzles and more by just buying some of the old
issues still available online.

5/6/2016 11:20:55 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I finally realized that the 2 British logic books I got from finally using the info in that e-mail, are just 2 reprints (or collages if you will, of reprints) of older British puzzles. But since I hadn't seen many of those old British puzzles, that turns out to be sort-of okay with me. Still, I wish the British series were continuing. I especially loved those "Drones" characters, who I guess are takeoffs on "Bertie Wooster," the employer of the famous Jeeves.

--
Amy

6/9/2016 7:45:00 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Amy, have you ever read any of the Wodehouse books? If not, you'd probably really enjoy them! Those "Drones" characters are Bertie Wooster's friends from the Drones Club and they're just as crazy as he is! LOL smile

6/9/2016 10:36:54 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Oh, sure. I've loved Wodehouse books for a gazillion years. I also liked the televised versions of some of the stories (several years ago on PBS as part of "Masterpiece"). I certainly thought of Bertie Wooster and Jeeves when I saw that the logic puzzles had a Drones Club.

--
Amy

6/9/2016 5:34:48 PM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
I'm glad to hear it! My daughter and I are both Wodehouse fans! smile

9/14/2016 12:23:20 AM

Frances
Frances
For fans of British Logics, Volume 3 of Penny Press Selected Puzzles "England's Best Logic Puzzles" is now available. Just ordered mine! smile Here's a link:

https://www.pennydellpuzzles.com/product.aspx?c=selectedpuzzlespuzzlebooksp=EBL

I'm having trouble getting that link to work, though. You can also go to page 2 here:

https://www.pennydellpuzzles.com/subcategoryfilter.aspx?c=selectedpuzzlespuzzlebooks

ETA: Here is the correct link:

https://www.pennydellpuzzles.com/product.aspx?c=selectedpuzzlespuzzlebooks&p=EBL

edited by Frances on 9/15/2016

9/14/2016 8:00:41 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Frances wrote:
For fans of British Logics, Volume 3 of Penny Press Selected Puzzles "England's Best Logic Puzzles" is now available. Just ordered mine! smile Here's a link:

https://www.pennydellpuzzles.com/product.aspx?c=selectedpuzzlespuzzlebooksp=EBL

I'm having trouble getting that link to work, though. You can also go to page 2 here:

https://www.pennydellpuzzles.com/subcategoryfilter.aspx?c=selectedpuzzlespuzzlebooks
edited by Frances on 9/14/2016

Thanks for the link and mentioning page 2. I've just ordered my copy and will look forward to receiving it in 6 weeks.

--
Amy

9/14/2016 2:55:08 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Thanks for posting Frances!! I ordered my copy as well!! smile

10/11/2016 3:46:33 PM

Frances
Frances
I'm enjoying Volume 3 of England's Best Logic Puzzles (Penny Press Selected Puzzles), which arrived recently. On the first page it states that it's now being published 3 times a year. smile Will sure beat the waiting over a year and a half since the last one. I was beginning to worry they hadn't been popular enough to warrant further volumes, so I'm glad to know more are being planned!

10/31/2016 6:58:02 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I'm sure I will be starting on the Volume 3 that I got recently, one of these days. I'm in the middle of that big 319-puzzle "Colossal" logic book and will probably wait until I finish it, to start the British Volume 3. But that's something to look forward to.

--
Amy

Home » Logic Problem Exchange » Original Logic Problems - British Edition