Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » Logic Lovers -- April 2012 -- Almost Famous

Logic Problem fans, discuss solutions and get solving help.
5/27/2015 11:06:01 PM

Michael1973
Michael1973
I came across a clue in a puzzle that confused me enough that it took me 5 tries to solve it. And given that it was a 2-star problem, that's kinda bad!

In the puzzle referred to in the subject line, we are given the titles of 4 CDs. Each is a 2-digit number, which conveniently is also the CD's peak position on the record charts.

One of the clues reads as follows, "The title of the CD by the Fireflies is four higher than that of the one on the Grapefruit label."

According to the answer, the CD by the Fireflies is called 42, while the one of the Grapefruit label is 46. Now as a lifelong music fan, I get that smaller numbers are considered "higher" on a music chart. But this clue specifically refers to the number in the title as being higher, which is it definitely not.

In other words, I know what the writer was intending to say here, but it should have been explained better.

5/28/2015 6:21:48 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I remember doing that puzzle a while back, and I think I was thrown for a loop for a while but then finally realized that "smaller" or "lower" isn't necessarily a smaller number.

--
Amy

5/29/2015 8:55:11 AM

LogicEditor
LogicEditor
This is puzzle is a little tricky, but the introduction does state: "Each of the CDs has a different, less impressive musical designation (from highest to lowest, 34, 38, 42, or 46)," which makes it clear which title is the highest and which the lowest.

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » Logic Lovers -- April 2012 -- Almost Famous