Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Crossword Talk » Shadowbox Crossword

Discuss your favorite Crosswords. If you need solving help, ask here!
6/4/2015 12:03:04 AM

Josh
Josh
Hey everyone,

Crosswords aren't usually my first choice, but I do find myself occasionally gravitating to them - as I don't think I'm great at them, I do find it satisfying at times when I can work through a few.

I picked up a copy of the new edition of Solver's Choice Crosswords & Variety Puzzles (Summer 2015), and while perusing tripped across a variation that looks really intriguing to me called a Shadowbox Crossword.

The idea is the clues given are not numbered, but sequenced alphabetically (in terms of the answers) by the number of shadow boxes the word contains. The puzzle has 26 shadowboxes, one for each letter of the alphabet. So it sort of combines a logic-type puzzle or fill-in (figuring out where the clues will go in the absence of numbers) with a standard clue-based crossword. Words have 0, 1 or 2 shadowboxes.

I'm giving this one a go right now, but was wondering if anyone had seen them around elsewhere; I definitely would find myself seeking out this variation if it's around often enough. I didn't see it in the other recent editions of this title I own, and Dell is woefully short of crossword/variety combo titles nowadays, but I have a stack of crossword/variety back issues that I'll be poking through once I get through this one. I'd even be open to seeking out all-crossword titles occasionally if it came down to it, although I doubt I have the patience to chew through an entire book of crosswords the way I do a sudoku book, for instance. (Getting close to closing out a Will Shortz Sudoku issue, just as the next one is ready to hit the stands.)

Josh

6/4/2015 7:01:39 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Hey Josh - this reminds me of a puzzle I can across in Will's Wordplay. Not sure if it was a shadowbox crossword but it seems familiar.
I find myself often stalling out in the middle of crossword books. I usually set them aside and come back to them. Variety books I usual hunt for my latest puzzle obsession and then do all of the same puzzle in my varieties. I hold on to them so that I can work the puzzles that didn't catch my fancy at other times.
I can burn through KenKen and Fill In books. Maybe it's because you have all the information you need to solve the puzzles right in front of you and its less about knowledge recall.
Good talking to you.
Chris

jjofriends wrote:
Hey everyone,

Crosswords aren't usually my first choice, but I do find myself occasionally gravitating to them - as I don't think I'm great at them, I do find it satisfying at times when I can work through a few.

I picked up a copy of the new edition of Solver's Choice Crosswords & Variety Puzzles (Summer 2015), and while perusing tripped across a variation that looks really intriguing to me called a Shadowbox Crossword.

The idea is the clues given are not numbered, but sequenced alphabetically (in terms of the answers) by the number of shadow boxes the word contains. The puzzle has 26 shadowboxes, one for each letter of the alphabet. So it sort of combines a logic-type puzzle or fill-in (figuring out where the clues will go in the absence of numbers) with a standard clue-based crossword. Words have 0, 1 or 2 shadowboxes.

I'm giving this one a go right now, but was wondering if anyone had seen them around elsewhere; I definitely would find myself seeking out this variation if it's around often enough. I didn't see it in the other recent editions of this title I own, and Dell is woefully short of crossword/variety combo titles nowadays, but I have a stack of crossword/variety back issues that I'll be poking through once I get through this one. I'd even be open to seeking out all-crossword titles occasionally if it came down to it, although I doubt I have the patience to chew through an entire book of crosswords the way I do a sudoku book, for instance. (Getting close to closing out a Will Shortz Sudoku issue, just as the next one is ready to hit the stands.)

Josh

6/5/2015 12:25:10 PM

Josh
Josh
Chris,

Good thought on WordPlay! I was poking through some of my older copies of Dell magazines (I managed to find a couple in old Crossword Special and Official Crossword Puzzles books), but didn't think of checking WordPlay! I'll take another look.

Good tip on pacing crosswords; when I was younger I hit a similar wall, but then never circled back. I tend to return to books more often now, so I'll give it another go! I have the same momentum on books like Fill-ins and sudoku, and probably for the same reasons - it's not an informational roadblock so ultimately you work it out logically. I used to do that with variety puzzle books, but I now try to encourage myself to tackle puzzles I'm less inclined to seek out, and then reward myself when I make good progress - that way the book doesn't completely lose my interest once I've knocked out most of my favorites.

Nice talking to you as well!

Josh

Home » Crossword Talk » Shadowbox Crossword