Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Crossword Talk » Shadowbox Crossword

Discuss your favorite Crosswords. If you need solving help, ask here!
|
6/4/2015 12:03:04 AM

Josh
Josh
Hey everyone,

Crosswords aren't usually my first choice, but I do find myself occasionally gravitating to them - as I don't think I'm great at them, I do find it satisfying at times when I can work through a few.

I picked up a copy of the new edition of Solver's Choice Crosswords & Variety Puzzles (Summer 2015), and while perusing tripped across a variation that looks really intriguing to me called a Shadowbox Crossword.

The idea is the clues given are not numbered, but sequenced alphabetically (in terms of the answers) by the number of shadow boxes the word contains. The puzzle has 26 shadowboxes, one for each letter of the alphabet. So it sort of combines a logic-type puzzle or fill-in (figuring out where the clues will go in the absence of numbers) with a standard clue-based crossword. Words have 0, 1 or 2 shadowboxes.

I'm giving this one a go right now, but was wondering if anyone had seen them around elsewhere; I definitely would find myself seeking out this variation if it's around often enough. I didn't see it in the other recent editions of this title I own, and Dell is woefully short of crossword/variety combo titles nowadays, but I have a stack of crossword/variety back issues that I'll be poking through once I get through this one. I'd even be open to seeking out all-crossword titles occasionally if it came down to it, although I doubt I have the patience to chew through an entire book of crosswords the way I do a sudoku book, for instance. (Getting close to closing out a Will Shortz Sudoku issue, just as the next one is ready to hit the stands.)

Josh

|

Home » Crossword Talk » Shadowbox Crossword