Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Logic Problem Exchange » Logic Problems Spectacular

Logic Problem fans, discuss solutions and get solving help.
8/22/2015 12:25:00 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
For anyone who may not receive e-mails from Penny/Dell or visit their Facebook page I wanted to post about a new book of logic puzzles that just came out.

www.pennydellpuzzles.com/product.aspx?c=otherpuzzlebookspuzzlebooks&p=LSP

I was able to find it at Target, and Bernadette has also seen it at Books-A-Million. Something new, which I've never seen with Penny Press's Logic Problems before, is that the puzzles are labeled as Easy, Medium, or Hard. I asked on Facebook if the puzzles are all new and am waiting for a reply, but upon looking through the pages, I don't recognize any of them, but that may be a different story for someone else.

I've seen them do special collections with other types of puzzles such as Crosswords and Sudoku and am happy to see Logic Puzzles get their well-deserved place in the line-up!! smile
edited by Purple Pisces on 8/22/2015

8/22/2015 2:20:32 PM

Josh
Josh
Purple Pisces wrote:
For anyone who may not receive e-mails from Penny/Dell or visit their Facebook page I wanted to post about a new book of logic puzzles that just came out.

www.pennydellpuzzles.com/product.aspx?c=otherpuzzlebookspuzzlebooks&p=LSP

I was able to find it at Target, and Bernadette has also seen it at Books-A-Million. Something new, which I've never seen with Penny Press's Logic Problems before, is that the puzzles are labeled as Easy, Medium, or Hard. I asked on Facebook if the puzzles are all new and am waiting for a reply, but upon looking through the pages, I don't recognize any of them, but that may be a different story for someone else.

I've seen them do special collections with other types of puzzles such as Crosswords and Sudoku and am happy to see Logic Puzzles get their well-deserved place in the line-up!! smile
edited by Purple Pisces on 8/22/2015

I have picked this up too! I found mine at Barnes & Noble but also have seen it at Hudson News in Grand Central Terminal. Some thoughts:
  • $8.99, a buck higher than the previous collections. 16 less pages than the previous volumes. (This same page count is what they were selling for $4.99 until they scaled back the logic books earlier this year.) Still the nicer paper, which I like.

• I can't tell if they're new or reprints either; the "carefully selected" language is in the inside cover, which they use for the Selected Puzzles series, but the email said "fresh" and the cover says "Original". I wish they'd be a bit more clear about it (on the magazines it's always been obvious when it's a "collector's edition"). If all-new, that certainly helps justify the additional cost, and if I were them I'd tout it much louder!

• The answers all seem awfully short compared to their magazine counterparts; I don't know if that means the puzzles are more straightforward in some ways or if they've found a way to tighten up the answers. I thought it interesting they were able to pack more puzzles into the same page count, and that seems to be partially how they've freed up a few pages.

• On a separate note, If you haven't noticed, they've been renaming the magazines again, and a hint is on the back cover as to the next one. Logic Lovers' Math and Logic Problems, like many of the other magazines, is losing the kicker that they were using to group magazines into series (Ultimate, Logic Lovers, Puzzlers, etc.). In most cases it's restoring long-running titles to their original name, but if Math and Logic Problems is the new title, that actually makes it the shortest version in the magazine's 25+ year history (it was Math Puzzles and Logic Problems at its debut). For the record, I like the move to shorten the titles; they got awfully cumbersome there for awhile and it made in some ways asking for them a bit awkward when out shopping.

While they're definitely more expensive than their standard counterparts, it's great to see them continue to experiment and offer these volumes, and I continue to buy them. I hope they continue to experiment with these volumes. There's definitely some opportunity in the variety puzzle space to try some things, for instance.

8/23/2015 12:35:51 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
The word "fresh" in the e-mail and phrase "carefully selected" in the book caught my eye as well! Looking at Original Logic Problems which is $4.99 for 50-something puzzles and are reprints, I'm more than happy paying $8.99 for a collection of 110 puzzles that are new to me.

I didn't even notice that they dropped the "Logic Lover's" from the magazine shown on the back cover. Good eye Josh!! smile

8/26/2015 1:12:47 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Penny/Dell answered my question about whether the puzzles in Logic Problems Spectacular are new or not:

"Our editors handpicked these puzzles out of the way back vault. The logic problems in this book had been lost for 30 years, and we're beyond excited to bring them back!"

I thinks it's neat they brought back puzzles from 30 years ago, and it explains why they're new to me. I wasn't solving logic puzzles yet.

8/27/2015 6:11:26 PM

Josh
Josh
Purple Pisces wrote:
Penny/Dell answered my question about whether the puzzles in Logic Problems Spectacular are new or not:

"Our editors handpicked these puzzles out of the way back vault. The logic problems in this book had been lost for 30 years, and we're beyond excited to bring them back!"

I thinks it's neat they brought back puzzles from 30 years ago, and it explains why they're new to me. I wasn't solving logic puzzles yet.

Smart strategy to do this; even for those with sharp memories, 30 years is certainly a long time to retain memory of a puzzle. That might also explain the more straightforward answers; I feel like as logic problems have been around longer, the creators have had to get more creative to keep it challenging for die-hard fans, so newer and more complex techniques have resulted. I see answers where you have to go 4-5 steps in in logic to reject a certain path, which I struggle with, and that's also what makes Chess a not-so-fun game for me smile

8/29/2015 8:46:26 PM

Holli Hathaway-John
Holli Hathaway-John
Hey Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I've been doing Penny Dell puzzles for at least 10 years now. I started off with the easy crosswords but was never very good at them. So when I stumbled upon the fill in puzzles I became hooked. Then I tried Sudoku and became addicted to that as well. Now I've moved onto the logic problems since I was looking for something a bit more challenging. I recently purchased the new book titled "Logic Problems Spectacular".

Earlier today I was working on logic problem #5 which is titled "The Lovejoys". I had a hard time deciphering the clues in this one. I was stuck because in clue 3 it says that one member of each family volunteered to play “tag” on Grandpa’s side and in clue 4 it says another group of 5 took the other side of the rope. So I then assumed they were playing a game together as a group of 10, which made clue 5 not make any sense to me since it states that Marie’s mom and Natalie sat and watched grandpa’s team win. I was thinking (before I figured out who Marie’s mom was), how could Natalie be in 2 places at once if she is playing a game and watching a team win… I don’t know if that’s an error, or if that I’m just an idiot who sucks at logic problems.

Here's the information listed for this puzzle:
Grandma and Grandpa Lovejoy invited their five sons and their families to a picnic. Each of the sons has one child (three of whom-Faye, Helen, and Marie-are girls, and two of whom-Mark and Ned-are boys). From the information given, can you determine the names of the members of each of the five sons’ families? (Note: Sons are Floyd, Frank, Fred, Harry and Martin, and daughters-in-law are Flo, Holly, Marcia, Natalie, and Nina.)
1. The oldest grandchild was Frank’s daughter.
2. No two members of the same family have the same first initial.
3. One member of each family volunteered to play “tag” on Grandpa’s side. They were: Flo, Nina, Marie, Helen, and Mark.
4. Another group of five, one from each family, took the other side of the rope. They were: Holly, Natalie, Martin, Fred, and Faye.
5. Marie’s mother and Natalie sat and watched grandpa’s team win.
I was never very good at breaking down the word problems in math class, so I’m assuming I’m not very good at breaking down the clues in logic problems. The first logic problem I had to redo at least 3 times (that’s why I ALWAYS use a pencil), the second and fourth one I had to redo at least twice. I just want to be able to do a damn logic puzzle successfully the first time and without looking in the back of the book at the answers to check to see if I'm right. I think one of my problems is the way they word some of the clues. Maybe I’m just not smart enough to do logic puzzles and I should stick to fill in puzzles. Well, if someone can explain the snafu in the logic problem I posted about, that would be great. I was just so confused when I read clue 5 after reading clue 4. Thanks.

--
*Holli*

8/30/2015 1:04:46 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Hi Holli, welcome to the forum! smile I'm going to be busy the next few days, but if you don't mind waiting until the end of next week I'd be more than happy to try and help.

8/30/2015 7:53:17 PM

Semipro
Semipro
Holli, the puzzle doesn't make sense the way I see it, either. First problem: as you say, Natalie can't both play on a team and sit and watch. Second problem: a game of tag doesn't involve a rope. Ropes go with a tug of war.

8/30/2015 8:50:46 PM

Josh
Josh
Holli and Semipro, I think those mentions of tag and tug rope are a red herring.

The purpose of each of those clues is to identify members of each of the five families, since both of those clues specify one member from each family (and we know five husbands - the sons, five wives - the daughters-in-laws, and then each couple's child, a total of five). They're supposed to help narrow down who is in each family of three, along with the initials clue, so by eliminating all those possibilities, I suspect the families begin to be identified pretty quickly after that. That said, I haven't tried to solve it yet myself so I'll let you know once I do if that indeed works out.

8/30/2015 10:55:50 PM

Frances
Frances
It does appear that the mentioning of specific games is a distraction. If no importance is given to what game is being played in clue 3 or 4, nor what game Marie's mother and Natalie sat and watched, then the puzzle is solvable.

8/30/2015 11:08:00 PM

Semipro
Semipro
What game was played makes no difference to the logic, but the inconsistency between "tag" and "rope" is evidence that a mistake was made in editing. Perhaps someone noticed that a team game was needed for the story but failed to follow through completely. Whether Natalie played or watched does make a difference. If she played, she was the only member of her immediate family to do so. If she didn't play, someone else in her immediate family did.

9/3/2015 9:42:16 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I made up my own grid for the "Lovejoys" puzzle, and solved it the way I usually solve logic problems. Clue 2 was familiar to me, in a way, because in many puzzles there's a condition that nobody shares an initial. Clues 3 and 4 got me part of the answer, and Clue 5 got me another part. But I had to put my thinking cap on for the rest. I finally realized that if one team was 5 certain people from different families, and a 2nd team was 5 other people from the different families, then implicitly, 5 other people not specifically mentioned in Clues 3 & 4, were the last 5 people of the different families. That's how I finally got the rest of the puzzle solved. (I don't think Natalie's playing or watching made a difference, by the way. I think Clue 5 was simply to let us know that Natalie is not the same person as Marie's mother.)

Holli, I hope you've gotten it by now, but if not, send me a private message and I'll share my thinking with you.

--
Amy

9/3/2015 2:07:30 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
I was finally able to get a look at the puzzle and solve it. Contradictory wording aside, it is solvable. Using the first four clues I was able to solve most of the puzzle, everything except 8 squares. Amy is right, the sole purpose of clue 5 is to let us know that Natalie is not Marie's mother. That is the only info needed to complete the puzzle after clues 1-4.

Without giving out too much info for those who haven't solved it yet, Marie's mother and Natalie are both on the same team, playing against Grandpa. Perhaps a better wording for this clue could have been "Marie's mother and Natalie are on the same team."

It is indeed an oddly worded clue. I was thinking it could mean that those two women were on the team against grandpa, and didn't fully participate, and just sat and watched the other team win, but that's a bit of a stretch.

9/3/2015 5:18:40 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
The clue could just as easily have said something like "Marie's mother and Natalie both wore pink" -- anything to say they're 2 different people.

--
Amy

9/7/2015 8:03:10 AM

Toby Speed
Toby Speed
I've been enjoying this Logic Problems Spectacular book, too. In problem #5, my thoughts as I was going through the clues were that they were talking about an all-day picnic with various events. It looks like of the 17 people there (Grandma and Grandpa, 5 sons, 5 daughters-in-law, and 5 grandchildren), not everyone was playing every game.

I think it's great that they brought these old puzzles back. I loved the British logic puzzles a while back, and I keep checking the site to see if they come out with a new one. Nothing like British humor!

10/29/2015 9:39:32 PM

sewing215
sewing215
Did anyone notice in Problem #92 "What O'Clock?", that they left Mr Stryke's name out of the Owner block. I was very confused as to how I had messed the puzzle up until I realized that the Owner list was one short. Just a heads up!

Home » Logic Problem Exchange » Logic Problems Spectacular