Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Word Search & Fill-In Corner » Word Twists, angles, squares?

Solvers helping solvers; get help.
8/27/2015 5:18:09 PM

Batch
Batch
So I used to be really into word searches, but haven't really glanced at them in something like 20 years now. Was thinking it might be kind of fun to check them out again. But back when I was doing them, I really came to like some of the odder puzzles, like word twists or word searches with a single bend in them ... or even puzzles where the words made a square. I know there was even one company (not sure if it was Dell) that did an entire bi-monthly magazine dedicated to word twists.

Wondered, are these still around? If so, which magazines do you find them in, and roughly how many of them?

8/27/2015 6:53:17 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Batch wrote:
So I used to be really into word searches, but haven't really glanced at them in something like 20 years now. Was thinking it might be kind of fun to check them out again. But back when I was doing them, I really came to like some of the odder puzzles, like word twists or word searches with a single bend in them ... or even puzzles where the words made a square. I know there was even one company (not sure if it was Dell) that did an entire bi-monthly magazine dedicated to word twists.

Wondered, are these still around? If so, which magazines do you find them in, and roughly how many of them?

There are many varieties of word seeks (I call them seeks, not searches, to each there own). Wizard Words, Patchwork, and angled are a few that come to mind. Some of the Penny and Dell WS magazine publish the varieties and they can also be found in the general variety puzzle mags. I would just poke around the site or at a newsstand and you'll find some.

8/27/2015 8:37:24 PM

Josh
Josh
Batch wrote:

Most of the Word Seek/Word Search magazines have the varieties. Penny Press helpfully lists the variety word searches in the front, so you can see how many of each variety of them you can find in each magazine. Their Word Search section shows the various titles. A good number come out each month, so you'll usually find a selection of them at most newsstands. You can see the entire line they publish here:

http://www.pennydellpuzzles.com/subcategory.aspx?c=wordseeksearch

Penny Press sells Zig Zags - which are the word searches with one angle in them - as part of their Selected Puzzles series. The entire book consists of them. You can find them here:

http://www.pennydellpuzzles.com/product.aspx?c=SelectedPuzzlesPuzzleBooks&p=ZGZ

8/28/2015 11:37:36 AM

Batch
Batch
Thank you both for the information ... that gives me something to look for!

8/28/2015 1:16:15 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Zig-ziags! I couldn't remember the title.

8/28/2015 3:44:00 PM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Batch wrote:
I know there was even one company (not sure if it was Dell) that did an entire bi-monthly magazine dedicated to word twists.

Hi Batch!

There IS a monthly puzzle book of word twist puzzles put out by Kappa Publishers and the title is "Bent and Wiggly Puzzles." It's a monthly publication and each issue contains around 60-62 puzzles. (I really enjoy these!) The puzzles are referred to as "Bent and Wiggly" for this magazine, but they are just like the word twist puzzles which are found inserted throughout many of Kappa's other word search books.

I always find the "Bent and Wiggly Puzzles" at Wal-Mart and my local Winn-Dixie and Publix grocery stores. smile

Bernadette

Home » Word Search & Fill-In Corner » Word Twists, angles, squares?