Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Variety Central » Official Variety Favorites, one year in

See what other Variety puzzle fans have to say, share your solutions, and get help.
|
9/11/2015 9:39:08 PM

Josh
Josh
Dell editors,

The timing of the variety-heavy magazines is particularly clustered this month, so I'm enjoying the embarrassment of riches this month with Official Variety Puzzles, Solvers Choice Crossword & Variety Puzzles and now Official Variety Favorites back to back to back. (I will say I'm a bit surprised you haven't evened out the three quarterlies yet so one comes out each month, but I'll buy them whenever they pop up and save them for later.)

I wanted to chime in specifically about Official Variety Favorites, though. I had struggled a bit with the title change this year, as its predecessor was heavier on some of my favorite puzzles (2 Collectibles, a Trigons each issue, Jigsaw Sudoku and Sum-doku, among others). I also wasn't incredibly happy that you reverted to the 9-a-page layout for sudoku, which you used a lot more commonly for Number Place but seemed to largely abandon after the switch to Sudoku. (For me, it's not so much the print size of the grids themselves rather than the space to write an answer when on an occasionally bumpy train ride.)

As the line-up has started to evolve, I like where we seem to be going. Jigsaw Sudoku and Sum-doku came back last issue and stayed around in the new December issue, and I see a Trigons in the latest issue! I also like the increased allocation of Cross Sums and Logic Problems over the previous title, and the generous 24 Figgerits in most of this year's editions were back in December (they're one of my favorite word-based puzzles in your titles).

I will admit that I was very enamored with your original mission of All-Time Favorite, focusing in on the popular puzzles, a line-up which I enjoyed and I'm sure many others did because they were, well, popular! But with the tweaks you've been making, the new title is becoming increasingly satisfying. I love a good many of the Dell puzzle types, and enjoy solving the large variety in each issue, but it's great that some of my favorites are making a stronger appearance in your Favorites.

A final plea: Please, please, consider keeping Trigons in regularly as it was before. The 1-2 bimonthly in Math & Logic and the occasional arrival in Official Variety Puzzles isn't enough; you spoiled me in previous years.

Thanks as always for all you do!

Josh

|

Home » Variety Central » Official Variety Favorites, one year in