Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Crossword Talk » unclear crossword answer

Discuss your favorite Crosswords. If you need solving help, ask here!
10/15/2015 7:37:25 PM

oner
oner
In the 2/13 Dell Sunday Crosswords p. 115 Eyes Front, here is the clue street fleet and here is the answer Sheila Does anyone understand this?

10/15/2015 11:00:56 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
No --- nor do I understand what happened that caused you to post the same thing 5 or 6 times and then finally post what you really wanted to post. You can delete the duplicates of your first several posts, if you want.

I don't know if maybe "Fleet Street" has something to do with it. Is that possible? Not that I know who "Sheila" is or what she has to do with "Fleet Street" or a street fleet (as in, cabs?)

--
Amy

10/16/2015 11:31:23 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
I haven't any idea, either, Oner and Amy! I googled the words "fleet street Sheila" and there is a company in Scotland named Sheila Fleet Jewelry but that seems like a pretty long stretch.

Maybe Frances will chime in soon! She often has a knack for figuring out seemingly inexplicable answers to clues! smile

Bernadette
edited by Bernadette1959 on 10/16/2015

10/16/2015 1:26:23 PM

Frances
Frances
There must be an error somewhere as I don't believe there is a connection between "Street fleet" and "Sheila". As Amy suggested, street fleet is probably the clue for cabs/taxis/hacks, maybe buses. Perhaps this is a case of an editorial mistake in the cluing or numbering. That's turned up before (rarely, though).

P.S. Buses always looks wrong to me. Yeses, too.

10/20/2015 9:44:53 AM

Dell Editorial Staff
Dell Editorial Staff
Dear Solvers,
The clue "Street fleet" for SHEILA is indeed an error. Street fleet was meant to clue TAXIS at 33-Across, but instead was entered at 26-Across. We at Dell try our best to provide error-free puzzles, but at times one may slip through. We sincerely apologize any inconvenience this has caused you.

7/8/2017 2:15:08 PM

anagram
anagram
Thanks for letting us know that "Street Fleet" was actually an error

--
JumbleSolver.com
FreeAnagramSolver.com

Home » Crossword Talk » unclear crossword answer