Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Crossword Talk » Double Trouble Crosswords

If you need solving help, ask here; discuss your favorite Crosswords.
10/17/2015 12:49:08 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
For those of you who are crossword experts, I'm curious about the difficulty level of Double Trouble Crosswords compared to traditional Crosswords. I am so close to solving one of these puzzles without any help or checking references, which is a big deal for me! Are the clues a little bit easier where there is the added challenge of trying to fit the correct number of letters into each square?

10/20/2015 9:53:35 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Hi Ally,

I find difficulty ratings for crosswords to be circumspect. Sometimes I get stumped on easy puzzles and can solve more challenging one fairly quickly. I think this is the beauty of the crossword. The instructions are fairly basic - fill in answers to the clues, but have a lot of depth that can provide a wide range of experiences. I buy Monday NYTimes books - they're supposed to be the easier puzzles but still find some make me work harder than others. Cracking a constructor's tendencies is a big one. Anyhoo, solving is fun. As for double trouble, depending on the book sometimes I find them hard to complete others I can whip right through.

Chris

10/21/2015 3:29:13 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Thanks for the input Chris! Logic problems can be like that, where I can get stumped by an easier puzzle and have no problem with a tougher one.

I needed a tiny bit of help at the end of the puzzle I mentioned in my above post, and got tripped up with one square, which I'm pretty proud of considering that crosswords of any kind are difficult for me. I'm really liking the Double Trouble puzzles and was happy to see that Penny Press offers them as part of their Selected Puzzles books. I've heard of the NYTimes crosswords but was not familiar with the "rating" system. I assumed the Sunday puzzles were the easier ones. Now I know to stay away from those for the time being LOL!! Thanks again! smile
edited by Purple Pisces on 10/21/2015

Home » Crossword Talk » Double Trouble Crosswords