Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » bingo plays - kindly explain "winning combination"

Logic Problem fans, discuss solutions and get solving help.
12/21/2015 10:59:16 PM

patalexander99
patalexander99
I get all the numbers right in the bingo card, but can't come up with the accepted winning combination. The phrase isn't explained in the instructions.

12/22/2015 3:34:59 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
It seems to me the phrase IS usually in the instructions. As I recall these types of puzzles, if Column B boils down to, say, a "1" in the first row, either a "1" or a "13" being in the second row, a "5" in the 3rd row, a "10" in the 4th row, and a "12" being in the last row -- when you look at that 2nd row again, you see that you already have a definitive "1," so you have to cross out the possibility of "1" in the 2nd row, and that leaves you with "13." This business of crossing out possibilities because something else is just like it, counts for each column, as opposed to rows.

Just because "1" is part of "13," if you know what I mean, that doesn't mean you have to cross them both out. It's only when there's a definite "1" and a possible other "1" that you have to cross out the second "1."

If one of the clues says, for example, that "6 is not part of the winning combination," then you have to start crossing out whole rows, columns, or diagonals, that finally end up with a 6 in it anyplace -- 60, 61, etc, all the way up to 69, as well as 6, 16, 26, etc.

The way I solve things when, say, 6 isn't in the winning combination: say you have a "66" as the only definitive answer in the top row, column O. This means that the top row is "out" as a possible solution, because the "66" spoils it. It also means the "northeast-to-southwest" diagonal is ruined, so cross that out. It also means the whole column O is out, so cross that out.

You should finally be left with only one straight line that didn't have to be crossed out.

Does this help any?
edited by Amy-in-PA on 12/22/2015

--
Amy

11/21/2016 1:06:47 AM

uhoh
uhoh
Alas, no, that did *not* help. I'm sure that Amy Lowenstein's explanation and reasoning would make perfect sense if one is in possession of certain unspoken premises. What those missing premises are is what patalexander and I are trying to figure out. The directions do not adequately explain what "winning combination" means or what's the deal about numbers repeating in columns. I'd like to see a specific example explained in detail. Not how you reasoned your way to the solution--I can figure that part out for myself--just what makes the solution the solution? It's quite mysterious.

12/25/2016 11:26:43 AM

leenorton
leenorton
uhoh wrote:
Alas, no, that did *not* help. I'm sure that Amy Lowenstein's explanation and reasoning would make perfect sense if one is in possession of certain unspoken premises. What those missing premises are is what patalexander and I are trying to figure out. The directions do not adequately explain what "winning combination" means or what's the deal about numbers repeating in columns. I'd like to see a specific example explained in detail. Not how you reasoned your way to the solution--I can figure that part out for myself--just what makes the solution the solution? It's quite mysterious.

Please note that there are two (sometimes 3) clues the note "or the winning combination". What you are looking for is a straight line of 5 squares that do not include any of the "winning combination" digits excluded by the clues. It would help if they referred to them as digits rather than numbers but you get the point.
edited by leenorton on 12/25/2016

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » bingo plays - kindly explain "winning combination"