Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » Color coded/candy onmy shelf

Logic Problem fans, discuss solutions and get solving help.
2/16/2016 1:35:22 PM

Sexypants34
Sexypants34
I am completely stuck! These are from February 2016 pages 27 and 19. I need the answers, please help me.
Thanks!

2/16/2016 1:44:45 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
There are probably a lot of logic magazines with the date of February 2016. What is the name of the magazine? How far did you get on either of the puzzles? Where did you get stuck?

If you can type the introduction and clues to a puzzle, for those of us who don't have the magazine, who knows, maybe someone can give you some pointers.

By the way, maybe if you look in the back of the book to see the reasoning that the editors put for the answer, maybe you'll have more of a clue as to where you went wrong. If the editors made one of their "leaps of logic" as I call it (where they say "because of A, then B is obvious" but B isn't at all obvious to ME), maybe some of us on this forum can point something out, or sympathize with the lack of clarity in the official answer.
edited by Amy-in-PA on 2/16/2016

--
Amy

2/16/2016 2:42:07 PM

Mathnlogic
Mathnlogic
Hello, I'm having the same problem. I know that Color Coded is by Ardith Nehrt. And candy on my shelf is by Matt Pallai.

2/16/2016 2:49:31 PM

Mathnlogic
Mathnlogic
Mathnlogic wrote:
Hello, I'm having the same problem. I know that Color Coded is by Ardith Nehrt. And candy on my shelf is by Matt Pallai.

Also, I received this from a friend that I don't have wireless contact with, so I only have a printout.

2/16/2016 3:12:39 PM

Mathnlogic
Mathnlogic
http://youtu.be/AOvoqaQdLr8

2/16/2016 4:44:45 PM

Sexypants34
Sexypants34
Amy Lowenstein wrote:
There are probably a lot of logic magazines with the date of February 2016. What is the name of the magazine? How far did you get on either of the puzzles? Where did you get stuck?

If you can type the introduction and clues to a puzzle, for those of us who don't have the magazine, who knows, maybe someone can give you some pointers.

By the way, maybe if you look in the back of the book to see the reasoning that the editors put for the answer, maybe you'll have more of a clue as to where you went wrong. If the editors made one of their "leaps of logic" as I call it (where they say "because of A, then B is obvious" but B isn't at all obvious to ME), maybe some of us on this forum can point something out, or sympathize with the lack of clarity in the official answer.

Mathnlogic posted a video of the problems, they are titled color coded and candy on my shelf

2/16/2016 5:31:22 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
COLOR CODED:

I got part of an answer. Clue 4 says Rose got her gift in August, so that's a "given," if you know what I mean. Clue 1 says Tawny got a gift from Mr. Black 3 months after someone got a brooch. So Rose didn't get a brooch, because of the "intersection" of Clues 4 and 1. (I often use the grid to X out, or dot in, whatever a clue, or combination of clues, tells me, and I put the clue numbers in the square.)

Clue 3 says neither scarf nor earrings were given in July, and Clue 6 says scarf = month before Mr. Gray. So if scarf isn't July, Mr Gray isn't Aug, so Rose's boyfriend isn't Mr. Gray. From Clue 1, he isn't Mr. Black, either. Clue 2 says Mr. Green gave a gift 3 months before Mr. Silver, so Rose's boyfriend isn't Mr. Green, either. Clue 8 says Mr. White gave a gift at least 2 months before something, so he isn't Rose's boyfriend, either. I don't know who Rose's boyfriend is, but I've narrowed it down to 2 men: Mr. Brown and Mr. Silver.

From Clue 8 again, Coral got her gift at least 2 months AFTER something, so she can't have gotten a gift in March or April. From Clue 7, Scarlet got her gift 2 months after someone got beads. So Scarlet isn't March or April, either. We already know that Rose didn't get her gift in March or April (she got it in August), and we already know Tawny didn't get a gift in March or April (because it was 3 months after someone else got a gift).

So the way I like to view it, Amber and Ruby (the only 2 women left) have the months of March and April "sewn up" to themselves, in some order.

So I was able to do a lot of crossing off once I realized that. If Amber and Ruby are the only ones for March and April, then neither of them can be any other month -- not that I know who's in what month among the "non-March, non-April, non-August" people, but I have fewer blank spaces.

Since Clue 5 says Ruby got a bracelet, and I just figured out that Ruby is either March or April, then the bracelet is either March or April. Since the brooch is 3 months before Tawny, and I've got Tawny down to being either June or July, then the brooch is either March or April. So now I have 2 gifts sewn up as being the only ones for March and April. So I crossed off all the other gifts from being March and April, and I crossed off the bracelet and brooch from being all the other months.

That left me with a certain thing as July (process of elimination -- won't tell you what the gift is, but Clues 3 and 7 figure into it) and then that left me with a new "process of elimination" answer for August.

What I know for sure now is that August represents Rose and a certain gift I've deduced. Then I have a lot of 2-way possibilities on other things. Worst case scenario, I can try "what if Ruby is March and Amber is April" and see where it leads, or "what if Amber is March and Ruby is April" and see where that leads.

This should create some sort of a start, anyway.

Didn't do anything about the 2nd puzzle yet, but at least this is a start on the 1st one.

--
Amy

2/16/2016 5:57:52 PM

Mathnlogic
Mathnlogic
Amy, thanks so much for helping me solve this. The logic you have come up with definitely makes sense. If you don't already have your own own writen, I'd be more then happy to put a link for the updated chart for you if you'd like. For now, I'll think along with you on finding the correct path for the process of elimination. Thanks again.

2/16/2016 7:48:22 PM

Mathnlogic
Mathnlogic
Update: I've gone through the first scenario where Amber is April, Ruby is March. I seem to be at a junction, where the most I can find myself able to expand is that amber has the brooch in April. Any ideas of how to expand?

2/16/2016 7:56:35 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I guess you could try some of the other 2-ways and try one guess and see if it's impossible, or what.

--
Amy

2/16/2016 8:22:37 PM

Mathnlogic
Mathnlogic
Breakthrough: Looking back over my work, I am successful in completing the women to months box, as well as completing some more information. This is all from the amber is April assumption still.

I solved it. I went with Amber in March instead. Thank you so much for your help.
edited by Mathnlogic on 2/16/2016

2/20/2016 6:25:06 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Still having problems with Candy On My Shelf? Or is that one under control? I just dealt with that one today, getting to a pretty good point and then doing some trial-and-error until everything worked out.

--
Amy

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » Color coded/candy onmy shelf