Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Variety Central » Deceptively "easy" puzzles

See what other Variety puzzle fans have to say, share your solutions, and get help.
2/19/2016 11:10:25 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
It's been a while since I've tried any of the free puzzles here but decided to print off one this morning from Dell called "States' Evidence" ( posted on Jan. 31). When I first looked at it, I thought, "Oh, this is really grade school level!" Yeah...

You're given a list of the names of twelve states with all of the letters missing except the O's. I only had about ten minutes of solving time and thought I could probably knock this puzzle out in five. As it turned out, I managed to fill in eight states immediately but couldn't come up with the other four. I ended up turning my page over and writing down the names of all fifty states. But I kept coming up three states short and for the life of me could not come up with their names. As a last resort, I Googled a map of the US and found the three I missed and went on to finish the puzzle. Yeesh. For an "easy" puzzle, this one took me a while to figure out!

(The three states I couldn't come up with were: Arkansas, Michigan and Massachusetts????? I can't believe I didn't think of Massachusetts. Of course, I didn't need these three to complete the puzzle, but it bothered me that I couldn't think of them on my own. I think I'd better give up word search puzzles indefinitely. LOL wink

Bernadette
edited by Bernadette1959 on 2/19/2016

2/19/2016 11:23:19 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
It took me a while to finish that States' Evidence puzzle, too. Some of the states that weren't included in the puzzle, have an "O" in a certain place and the same number of letters as other states that also have an "O" in that same place. Hence, Penny/Dell didn't include those states at all.

Sometimes I can remember states by thinking of geography from north to south and east to west. Other times I can remember most of the states by thinking of the alphabetical lists of states that my computer software gives me when I need to add another state to someone's tax return. I think I've memorized that 8 states begin with an "M" and 8 states begin with an "N" but I don't always remember the states. I think there are 4 with an A and 3 with a C, one D, one F, one G, a couple of K's, and when I finally got to L, something clicked in my mind for that "States' Evidence" puzzle.

--
Amy

2/19/2016 5:23:06 PM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Amy Lowenstein wrote:
Sometimes I can remember states by thinking of geography from north to south and east to west.

That's exactly how I try to remember them, Amy! Years ago, my kids had a jigsaw puzzle of the map of the United States and I'll bet we put that puzzle together a million times. I was sure I'd never ever forget any of the states or where they were located. Never say never, I guess! smile

2/21/2016 6:59:11 PM

Anna Booth
Anna Booth
I'm working on an Easy 'n Fun Variety Book and they aren't all easy...

The skill levels aren't always accurate

Home » Variety Central » Deceptively "easy" puzzles