Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Variety Central » Anniversaries: Any plans

See what other Variety puzzle fans have to say, share your solutions, and get help.
|
5/22/2016 3:25:29 PM

Josh
Josh
Hey Dell editors (and fellow forum participants):

I've taken to buying some of the older back issues that eBayers are selling from time to time. One of the more excited finds I got recently (outside of some early Math Puzzles & Logic Problems issues, including a clean copy of the first one I ever bought), was a set of Pencil Puzzles & Words Games from 1991-1994. While reading through the letters page (yes, I read the old issues too!), I saw a few things that jumped out at me.

If accurate, right about now is the 40th anniversary of the launch of Pencil Puzzles & Word Games, which lives on in its spiritual successor as Official Variety Puzzles. That title actually reaches 15 years old this year, if I recall correctly that it launched in 2001. I know it may be late to throw it out there for the exact anniversary, but is there any chance of a celebration or something fun around it this year? Perhaps, similar to other scenarios like this, a page or two of puzzles from the debut could be published, or something fun to that effect? It's a pretty remarkable accomplishment.

It's clear from previous efforts that there's a lot of respect for the history of Dell within the staff, underscored by the longevity of many of those working there; the readers here definitely share that, and I hope you have a chance to celebrate somehow. If not, let me share here (as I know we all have periodically) our thanks for what you do, and here's to another 40 years to come!

As an aside, I'm also reading some tension-filled letter pages from that era; boy were the conversations lively back then, and even though I know I bought many of these I don't remember that. I'm glad the letter pages have survived, and hope they continue to do so, just as I hope these forums are kept up for those of us who like to chat about the ups and downs of solving.

Thanks,

Josh

|

Home » Variety Central » Anniversaries: Any plans