Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Word Seek Corner » Missing Vowels with Themes

Solvers helping solvers.
7/7/2016 7:58:01 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Missing Vowels puzzles are not a tremendous favorite with me, but if I'm in the mood I'll solve them when I come across them in my digest-sized word search books. Most of the time, however, I just skip over them, and I rarely even look closely at the ones included in my regular-sized puzzle magazines.

Until today, I had no idea that PennyPress ever made "themed" Missing Vowels puzzles! There's one about coffee included in today's free puzzles, and I see there was also one on June 27th about cricket. Well, well, well...LOL

After searching through a few older PP issues, I found another themed one so I guess these must pop up in the full-sized issues every now and then.

If anyone from PennyPress is reading this, I would love to see a few of these themed missing vowels included in the digest-sized books as well! smile

Bernadette
edited by Bernadette1959 on 7/7/2016

7/7/2016 11:27:06 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I don't usually do Missing Vowels, but when I saw that the theme today was Coffee, I felt sort-of tempted to print the puzzle for myself. I didn't print it yet, but maybe I will.

--
Amy

7/7/2016 3:11:32 PM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
I've never cared for non-themed word search puzzles, period. I also don't care for non-themed Letterboxes and non-themed KrissKrosses/Frameworks (the timed ones.)

I think having a theme really adds interest, you're not just working with a collection of random words.

PS. I have never understood the appeal of timed KrissKrosses and Frameworks anyway. Why would I care to knock myself out trying to beat the time of a faceless, nameless solver? And how do I even know the time given is accurate? LOL! Maybe I'm just not the competitive type. I always pass on these puzzles.

7/7/2016 7:50:46 PM

Josh
Josh
Themed Word Searches are a bit more fun, if only as you also tend to learn something now and then. I can't recall seeing a themed Missing Vowels but that's a nice evolution.

Kriss Krosses are definitely not high on my list, although I inevitably begin to solve them anyway. I hate skipping over puzzles in a book when I know I can solve them! Letterboxes/Tanglewords I enjoy more, even though the idea is similar (figure out what words go where). Not sure why.

7/8/2016 6:55:50 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Josh wrote:
Kriss Krosses are definitely not high on my list...

You're certainly not alone, Josh. I don't know why Kriss Krosses have fallen so far out of favor. I still miss being able to buy entire books of them (Official brand) here in the US each month.

I found out only recently that Dell also used to publish entire books of Kriss Krosses in the 1950s. I was unaware of this as they were no longer being published by the time I started solving them in the 70s. Someone is actually selling one of these old Kriss Kross magazines on Ebay for a ridiculous sum. I keep watching to see if anyone will eventually bite. Good grief! LOL

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unused-High-Grade-Dell-KRISS-KROSS-Puzzles-6-from-1958-WOW-so-cool-and-CLEAN-/272275651498?hash=item3f64e4bbaa:g:SqwAAOSwZtJW~TB0

Bernadette
edited by Bernadette1959 on 7/8/2016

7/12/2016 11:57:18 AM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Bernadette1959 wrote:

PS. I have never understood the appeal of timed KrissKrosses and Frameworks anyway. Why would I care to knock myself out trying to beat the time of a faceless, nameless solver? And how do I even know the time given is accurate? LOL! Maybe I'm just not the competitive type. I always pass on these puzzles.

Bernadette I don't think I'm the competitive type either. I recently tried competing in a "tournament" (you don't win anything) on a puzzle site called Griddlers. It's a site that features logic art puzzles and thought it would be fun to try the tournament. The goal is to solve a series of weekly puzzles in the fastest time to try and stay on top of the leaderboard. I only tried it one week! LOL! I hated trying to hurry to solve the puzzles, and ended up making mistakes along the way that I probably wouldn't have otherwise. Plus, it took away from my main reason I enjoy solving puzzles, to relax! smile
edited by Purple Pisces on 7/12/2016

7/12/2016 2:15:12 PM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Purple Pisces wrote:
Bernadette I don't think I'm the competitive type either. I recently tried competing in a "tournament" (you don't win anything) on a puzzle site called Griddlers. It's a site that features logic art puzzles and thought it would be fun to try the tournament. The goal is to solve a series of weekly puzzles in the fastest time to try and stay on top of the leaderboard. I only tried it one week! LOL! I hated trying to hurry to solve the puzzles, and ended up making mistakes along the way that I probably wouldn't have otherwise. Plus, it took away from my main reason I enjoy solving puzzles, to relax! smile

My sentiments exactly! I would not care one iota about having my name at the top of that leaderboard! LOL! I don't handle pressure and stress too well, anyway. wink
edited by Bernadette1959 on 7/12/2016

7/12/2016 4:20:08 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
At first, Bernadette, I thought you were writing that your mother seemed too competitive, apparently not having fun even if she loses. (Your later post clarified that she's not apparently like that.) I like to win, but when my team lost at Trivial Pursuit the other day, I still had fun, as did everyone else. I will agree that it's disappointing not to be the winner of the most recent competition, but I suspect your mother wins most of them anyway (and come to think of it, when I play Trivial Pursuit, my team seems to win more than half the time -- which is not necessarily true at Bridge, but I still have fun at Bridge and sometimes like to compete against my previous bridge games and see if I can get better).
edited by Amy-in-PA on 7/13/2016

--
Amy

7/13/2016 10:43:55 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Sorry, Bernadette, I didn't realize I was disparaging your mom. I've just edited my other post.
edited by Amy-in-PA on 7/13/2016

--
Amy

7/13/2016 12:42:56 PM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Thank you very much, Amy.

Home » Word Seek Corner » Missing Vowels with Themes