Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Variety Central » The word "notably" in cryptic crosswords?

See what other Variety puzzle fans have to say/share your solutions.
7/19/2016 7:16:14 PM

JohnJSal
JohnJSal
I always have trouble understanding the meaning of the word "notably" in cryptic crossword clues. It seems rather ill-defined compared to other clues, such as "reportedly," which is usually used as a homophone indicator.

Here's an example:

Great at sporting Henley, notably (7)

I figured out that the answer is REGATTA, but only after looking up the word "Henley" to find it's a place (and name) of an annual regatta in England. Even then, it took me a while to realize that the first part of the clue was an anagram and "sporting" was the indicator (because really, "sporting"!?). Oh well, this was in a Tournament Variety Puzzles, so most of the clues were pretty tough.

Anyway, I still don't understand what "notably" accomplishes here. Even without it, I think the clue would still lead you to the answer. Any thoughts on how it's usually used, and what it means here?

Thanks!

7/20/2016 1:24:58 PM

floyd
floyd
"notably" means that the clue's definition is a specific, notable instance of the answer. I'll often see "for one" used similarly.

7/28/2016 10:36:38 PM

JohnJSal
JohnJSal
I'm still not quite sure I see how it helps in this particular example. I know in regular crosswords it's used that way, but here it only seems to make it more confusing, given how precise cryptic crossword clues usually are.

7/29/2016 1:17:33 AM

Semipro
Semipro
"Notably" is there because Henley isn't the only regatta. The word actually makes the clue more precise. It tells you that Henley is only an example, that you're looking for something more general.

"Sporting" would be the sign of an anagram. "Play with these letters . . ." or "These letters wil be jumping around."

Home » Variety Central » The word "notably" in cryptic crosswords?